186 Moment Comi
    188 Moment Tahoe
    194 Dynastar Legend Pro
    193 Nordica Blower
    200 DPS Lotus 120 (flex 3)

SKI INFO
    Ski tested: 192 Moment Comi-Kazi mounted on the line with 916s
    Dimensions: 160-136-145 (35m r)
    Specs: rockered tip which is about 1/4 the total length of the skis; slightly raised swallowtail

UPDATE (5/18/2008): after 10-12 days on these skis, the rockered tip now begins 54cm from the tip of the ski

TESTING INFO
    Locations: Keystone (trees), Vail (back bowls)
    Conditions: deep powder, deep powder in trees, bumped-out powder (get the idea?)

Mount line will appear a bit further back than some people might be used to, but it feels absolutely money and wouldn't mount it elsewhere.

On groomers and bumps, they are adequate. You will notice chatter on the flats. In crud and post-pow conditions, the Comi-Kazi does not fair well at all. This ski is strictly for powder and soft snow.

In trees, these skis are a ton of fun and are quite manageable for its size. My first time through the woods was a bit difficult since I didn't have a strong grasp of how the Comi-Kazi skis, but after a few more runs through, I was able to ski pretty quickly in moderately tight spots with ease. Again, for comparative purposes, the Comi-Kazi skis as well (if not better) in trees than the 193 Blower.

Bases are absolutely bomber. I hit several dozen logs and rocks at Keystone on Saturday through the woods in the Outback (first time the area has been open this season) with no base damage at all. At Vail today, I probably hit another handful of rocks ... again, no significant damage.

Now how does it ski in powder? Just as you imagined. As I've said to people over the weekend, it really isn't fair to ski something like the Comi-Kazi in powder. They make skiing powder seem incredibly effortlessly. Regardless of the pitch, you shouldn't get any tip dive. Most runs this past weekend were in close to 2 feet of powder. You're literally surfing on snow, and it seemed that the ski north of the binding toe piece was completely afloat at all times. The swallowtail does exactly what it should do and it's been designed very well to help sink the tail down for increased flotation.

The flex seems to be okay. I'm sure others will have better insight, but to me, the tip felt soft, underfoot has a medium flex, and the tail being medium-soft. If I had to change the flex, I would make it slightly stiffer near the heel placement of the ski and underfoot. As you would expect from a ski with a 136mm waist, they stomp and feel stable on landings.

Overall, I'm thrilled. The biggest surprise so far is how well the bases have held up; I was definitely expecting some core shots after Saturday and was shocked to find nothing more than a couple of very minor scrapes.

Pros:
    + gives a new perspective on surfing snow
    + bomber bases

Cons:
    - you will have to answer a ton of questions about these skis
    - doesn't perform well in crud and anything not soft
    - could be a tad stiffer underfoot and in the tail

Last edited by Nick Pappagiorgio; 07-29-2008 at 04:20 PM. Reason: refined review

i cant wait until i get to come home to mine...12 days

spot reserved for me to post thoughts too.

one thing is that while these are called 196's, they are no where near that long. they are shorter by 1cm than my ants (called 191's but measure 193) and about 1 cm longer than my 189 movements, and the running length is significantly shorter than ANTs.
    Last edited by marshalolson; 12-10-2007 at 08:44 AM.

REVIEW: Moment Comi-Kazi

other than their shorter length, how does the CK ski compare to the Comi?

Quote Originally Posted by mc_roon View Post
    i cant wait until i get to come home to mine...12 days
    yeah it sounds like you have some good snow waiting for you too. your brothers comis have been in my basement and make everything i've got look skinny and kinda small. they look like they'll be sick out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakelander View Post
    other than their shorter length, how does the CK ski compare to the Comi?
    I haven't skied the Comi in powder, but have skied it in pretty much everything else. The Comi felt stiffer all throughout and more stable which would make sense due to the rockered tip of the CK. CK would be strictly for powder, whereas the Comi could be used for more various conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    spot reserved for me to post thoughts too.

one thing is that while these are called 196's, they are no where near that long. they are shorter by 1cm than my ants (called 191's but measure 193) and about 1 cm longer than my 189 movements, and the running length is significantly shorter than ANTs.
    They are pressed in a 196 mold to gain running length but have a 192 material length.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Pappagiorgio View Post
    - you will have to answer a TON of questions about the skis
    this is super annoying ..... "WTF are those dude?"

Son of a bitch...I thought you were going to Vail that day and hence I was unable to molest those with you. Where are you going this upcoming weekend?

Nice tree shot...who is that overweight fellow in that pic???

holy jesus those things are massive

I took the Comi-Kazi out in crud/post-pow conditions and I will never do that again; this is strictly a powder board. I imagine the Comi will be better suited since it doesn't have the rockered tip and felt stiffer when compared to the CK.

Again, I went over a fair share of rocks and logs today and this is the only damage after 3 glorified beatdowns:

Last edited by Nick Pappagiorgio; 12-11-2007 at 01:56 PM.

nice digestable review. not too technical, not too non-technical. just right.

increases my desire to demo some of these Moment bad boys, though i don't really need something like the CK (eying the Ruby, actually).

danke on the thoughts and for sharing.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    nice digestable review. not too technical, not too non-technical. just right.

increases my desire to demo some of these Moment bad boys, though i don't really need something like the CK (eying the Ruby, actually).

danke on the thoughts and for sharing.
    PM skier666 ... he's in SF and can certainly help you cave in.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Pappagiorgio View Post
    I took the Comi-Kazi out in crud/post-pow conditions and I will never do that again; this is strictly a powder board. I imagine the Comi will be better suited since it doesn't have the rockered tip and felt stiffer when compared to the CK.
    I thought that rocker helps in crud?
    not counting days 2016-17

^i dunno.

when i picture a rockered tip encountering crud and chop I get a mental image of it bouncing, flopping, and deflecting off the crud and chop as opposed to a more traditional tip that might cut through such conditions like a knife.

Then again I don't know jack about ski construction or mechanics.

This thread confirms that I made the right decision by getting the comi, instead of the CK. Also nice to know I'm only short 6cm of material length, not 10.

Thanks for the review.

On the topic of actual length - is the Moment M1 also shorter than 196 like the CK?

FWIW, the Moment website gives running lengths on all of their skis.

http://www.momentskis.com/

For example, the overall tip to tail length of the M1 is 196 but the running length/effective edge is 165

Quote Originally Posted by alpinedad View Post
    I thought that rocker helps in crud?
    It didn't feel stable. When I found myself on hard snow, I bailed straight for the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    FWIW, the Moment website gives running lengths on all of their skis.

http://www.momentskis.com/

For example, the overall tip to tail length of the M1 is 196 but the running length/effective edge is 165
    Considering the 196 CK is actually made out of 192cm of material, I think there is more to it. I just wanted to know if this holds true for the M1 too - not really concerned with the effective edge.

I really want some m1s, might be my next ski purchase
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Quote Originally Posted by soul_skier View Post

Make sure to check out the M1 review then:

http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105028

Also, they are almost sold out!

Soul, If you have any specifc questions on the M1s drop me a PM or message here.
    PS: They kill!
    Quote Originally Posted by soul_skier View Post
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

soulskier definitely needs more skis. Maybe pair #20 will be the one?
    slopstyle crosscarver junior

I think i'm set on skis until I graduate from UVM, but when I do I can sell the entire east coast quiver and pick up some new skis, which, incidentally, will probably be the 2ed completely new skis I have ever owned...i'm currently thinking a pair of m1s and a pair of iggy fffs or dp 120s
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Quote Originally Posted by mojorisin View Post
    soulskier definitely needs more skis. Maybe pair #20 will be the one?
    i believe that it is pair #24 to be exact...