Arrow REVIEW: Moment M1

SKIER INFO
    Skier: 5'10", 215#, skis fast and getting progressively more aggressive
    Skis I have ridden/reviewed: 192 Moment Comi-Kazi, 194 Dynastar LP, 193 Nordica Blower, 186 Moment Comi

SKI INFO
    Ski tested: 196 Moment M1 mounted on the line with Rossignol Axial 140
    Dimensions: 130-105-119 (35m r)
    Specs: checkered topsheet, stupid stiffness

TESTING INFO
    Locations: Keystone (night-skiing), Vail, Beaver Creek
    Conditions: groomers, waist-deep powder, tracked-out powder, crud, hardpack

First impressions, these are STIFF. The 194 LP is (check that ... was) my everyday hardpack ski and have about 20-25 days on them since last January. If the LP is an 8 on Marshal's flex scale, the M1 is easily a 9. It took just two runs for me to feel some leg burn on my first night at Keystone. They are incredibly fast. I've never been on a racing ski (have a pair mounted but have yet to take it out), but I imagine that these are pretty close to what it would feel like.

It took me about 4 runs to get a good feel of the ski and how to position myself on it. Like Marshal said in one of the review threads, you will need good form and angulation or else the ski will be a handful; I actually felt that the M1 forces you to ski better technically. There really is no speed limit on these and they are freakish stable at high speeds (I even caught a bit too much speed and lost a contact on my last run). My second night at Keystone was much the same like the first but didn't need to warm-up to the ski. The mountain was completely deserted which allowed me to really unload on the M1. Transitioning between medium and long turns was easy, and the edge hold was better when compared to the LP. Bottom line, the M1 just wants to go fast ... VERY fast.

Day 3 was at Vail in waist-deep powder (a day in which I should have used the Comi-Kazi instead ) in mostly open spaces. Although the M1 wasn't great in these deep conditions, it was manageable if you put a bit of effort towards keeping them afloat. They seemed to fare better in moderate pitches versus steeper ones. This is definitely not a powder ski and would refrain from using again in anything over 12".

Day 4 was at Beaver Creek in post-powder/crud conditions. The snow in the morning was hard everywhere and eventually it softened up in the afternoon. The M1 handled these conditions very well while making the harder snow feel a bit softer. The factory tune did not feel right at certain times and will end up tuning myself before the next time out (0 base, 2 side). I did find the M1 to be a bit too much to maneuver and tight spots (i.e. trees), and moguls were problematic (although, this was my 4th day in a row and I was a bit worked by the previous day). In the crud, these skis bulldozed through everything while making tracked-out snow feel like an untouched groomer. Bumpy terrain felt significantly minimalized as well.

Overall, I was surprised by the construction of the M1 and was not expecting it to be as burly as it is. It did take some time getting adjusted to, but I think anyone on them would find it's sweet spot after two days. They also require a bit more effort than I'm accustomed to in the past, but I only think that will carry someone's skiing ability to the next level. This will officially become my everyday hardpack ski with the LP being designated as my early season (and day-off) ski.

PROS:
    + extremely stable at high speeds
    + excels in post-pow conditions

CONS:
    + flotation is poor for a 105mm-waist ski
    + relatively difficult to maneuver in tight spots (please refer to skis I have been on previously)
    Last edited by Nick Pappagiorgio; 03-12-2008 at 11:41 AM.

i disagree that they are not maneuverable, i found them easy to ski in moguls and trees for a ski that is stiff and 196, the big-ish twin on them make them easier to throw around than say, a b-squad

but yeah these skis rip, they will probably be my next every day ski
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

Hmmm, maybe I'll be able to add some info to your nifty little review after this weekend.

These skis are so much fun. As said in the review, they do not seem to have a speed limit.

Has anyone tried the new M1 that can be bought as a part of the blister membership deal?

Do a search for Moment Garbones (its what this model was called for 3-4 years).

Short answer. Charges like nothing else, destroys small children in it's path. Surprisingly maneuverable. Bottom feeder in pow unless you are really moving