ON3P Jeronimo review: Part 1 hard snow with video!

I decided to do the review a bit differently this time. Mainly, every time I read a skier description/likes/dislikes, they sound the same to me. When I see people ski down the hill, I know we all rip it differently. I figured would add a little depth to the review. If your style is similar to mine, you might have similar feelings about the ski. If it is different, your results might vary from mine.
    This was really inspired by the reviews powtron is putting up lately, and the bluehouse maven responses, i.e. depending on how you ski, the ski is loved or hated. I know the terrain isn't much and there isn't any boner city stuff, but the purpose was to show you the skis in action to give the review some foundation. When I say "they rip on harder snow in a short to medium radius turn" the style turn I'm talking about makes sense. and now....

The ON3P Jeronimo review, part 1: hard snow and resort video

Skier info: 6'. 170lbs. I grew up on icy hills running gates. I would describe my current style as low, wide and centered. I don't pole plant most of the time. My feet are never closer than shoulder width apart. In manky snow or on really steep stuff, I'll break out more of a crescent long turn. A "slarve" if you will. Basically, i'll initiate a carve, then break the tails out half way through to check speed.

The ski: These are the Jeronimo prototypes from ON3P. The ski is a 186 but measures like a k2 and tapes out to 189. There is very little camber underfoot, and 2 cm of rocker over 25cm in the tip, coupled with 2cm of rocker over 25cm in the tail. Shape is 145/115/142. The ski is designed as a backcountry pow/jib ski that will still get you all over the hill without serious compromise.

Cliff Notes: These are without a doubt in my top 3 skis ever. I find myself skiing them well out of their ideal or intended condition range because rocker is so damn fun. The best way I can describe it is in hard and variable conditions, your locked into a turn without feeling locked in. I know that sounds goofy, but you can carve a turn, yet slide sideways as fast as you want without fear of catching the edge. You can scrub speed in a whole new way, and slash and slide the hill with a different outlook on what is possible.

The jeronimo is not for you gnar kill skiers out there. It likes to turn. Yet, with the rounded tip profile, I don't have fear of hooking when letting them run. On variable snow, like pow bumps on an icy base, they don't excel but are very manageable. In soft snow and pow, the ski invites you to play on the terrain and natural features. It floats well with a centered stance. If you try, you can sink the tips. With the rocker profile the ski rises again quickly and planes out. Trees, little drops (i'm too pussy for real ones) and rolling terrain are so fun. The jeronimo is neutral and comfortable in the air. the centered stance makes landing effortless, and the "wheelie" effect of ep pros is gone.

The layup is stiff enough to support you at speed on any terrain without death tip flap. The jeronimo answers many issues I had with the hellbent. It keeps a surfy feel, that loose easy plane rocker delivers, while being sooo much better out of the pow. While it gives up some float, being able to have so much fun on one set of skis across the gamut of conditions more then makes up for it. So far I've put in around 15 days on the jeronimos, from the rope drop in game creek with thigh deep blower to 40 degrees and pouring rain. If you like to play, make turns and jump around, these rip your face off. I will do another video review on pow performance soon. I'm happy to answer any questions I can and please give me your comments/critiques.

This is the first time I have shot,edited, or uploaded any sort of video, so I'm VERY noobish at it. I got one of those $150 kodak hd cams and went to town. I've got to figure out how to export a higher quality version, as it looks, well, HD on my comp. Oh well. Hopefully this helps reviews, and my random thoughts on the ski, make more sense.

Lastly, I want to say that scott is doing a fucking kick ass job on the skis. The quality on one of the first 10 sets of garage made skis is unbelieveable. The finish work is, well, professional. I've mounted, skied and owned many indy skis including iggs, kingswoods, pm gears and such. I would put the quality of these protos up against ANY of those, and in some instances it is much better. Scott has a bright future in ski building and I'm looking forward to spreading the word and getting as many people to try them for themselves as I can. that being said.

BUILD ME THIS SKINNY SKI PLEEEEASE
    128/95/115
    2.5x25 rocker
    light camber
    mount -5
    call it the ginsu

Fire away.

p.s. I know the hill is small and I make no claims of being a great skier. I have so much to learn and work on and that makes every day fun.
    Last edited by 300hp; 01-12-2009 at 09:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3centshort View Post
    I figure when he realized he was still 10-15 feet off as he flew the K his asshole puckered so hard it ate his nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    In the other scenario, you would be like "Peanut Butter, cool, fuck I'm stuck HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME oh fuck I'm screwed, but at least I have time to think about how screwed I am. I guess that is a blessing. FUCK NO IT'S NOT A BLESSSING I'M STUCK AND I'M DYING.

I agree that the skis are tons of fun on hardpack. 21.6m radius likes to turn!

Figure I would correct you on two things - rocker is 2cm x 25cm tip and tail, and these were closer to the 35th pair out of the press, so by that point stuff was fairly dialed.

PS Hunter - paragraphs are you friend. Oh, and there is a new ski drawn up right now I think you might like.....
    Last edited by iggyskier; 01-12-2009 at 09:27 PM.
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

How does the amount of rocker compare to the Hellbents?

The rocker is less then hellbents. Hopefully scott can chime in with the hellbent profile. I can tell you that the tip rise is gradual on my skis, whereas the hellbents look, well, like someone put the ski in a vise and bent it.
    I figure when he realized he was still 10-15 feet off as he flew the K his asshole puckered so hard it ate his nuts
    In the other scenario, you would be like "Peanut Butter, cool, fuck I'm stuck HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME oh fuck I'm screwed, but at least I have time to think about how screwed I am. I guess that is a blessing. FUCK NO IT'S NOT A BLESSSING I'M STUCK AND I'M DYING.

Quote Originally Posted by iggyskier View Post
    I agree that the skis are tons of fun on hardpack. 21.6m radius likes to turn!

Figure I would correct you on two things - rocker is 2cm x 25cm tip and tail, and these were closer to the 35th pair out of the press, so by that point stuff was fairly dialed.

PS Hunter - paragraphs are you friend. Oh, and there is a new ski drawn up right now I think you might like.....
    scott, changes made. You might want to check the rocker profiles listed in the initial ON3P thread too

Quote Originally Posted by sandflea View Post
    How does the amount of rocker compare to the Hellbents?
    It is a lot less than a hellbent, which are fucking huge.

Our shapes are getting a little bit of a shake down right now. Some minor shape changes, addition of a few new sizes, etc. Going to be a few weeks before anything is set in my mind, but some changes are coming.

If you were looking for more of a hellbent like ski, the ski you would be looking at was the caylor, but I still need more time on everything before I really decide.

Here is a photo comparing the "189" (in quotes because they are closer to 199) hellbents and 191 caylor.

Caylor was pressed with 35cm x 2.5cm rocker, but loses a bit of length and height due to how we are currently pressing (only heating from the bottom, which will change down the line) so the caylor made for production will have a tad more rocker length and height than it does now.

Figure I would add this too. Caylors are 194cm measured flat, but right around 191cm tip to tail when they are pressed. The "189" bents fucking tower over them. Pretty much ridiculous how big those skis are.

The jeronimo rocker is even less than that. I find it really easy to manage on hardpack.

In this photo you see the rocker of the 191 wrenegade (15cm x 1.5cm), 186cm Billy goat (25cm x 2cm), and 186cm Jeronimo (25cm x 2cm)
    Last edited by iggyskier; 01-24-2009 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
    scott, changes made. You might want to check the rocker profiles listed in the initial ON3P thread too
    well played......

Thanks for posting the photos, it answers all the questions I had.

Cool review, also those Smith goggles are awesome, wish I had bought a pair.

thanks dood, I want to help get the word out that rocker is quite skiable in all conditions when done right, and having sampled a good bit of rockered products from other manufactures, I can honestly say scott is on to something substantial with his shapes. I also think rocker in skinny skis is the evolution of the industry and stuff like this (fat skis out of their element) is the first step.

The spacecraft smiths are one of those things were I was in love at first sight. I'm kinda obsessed with bright colors and pop art style stuff so needless to say I wanted them.
    Hunter

Oh boy

Ah, I see you posted those super cute pictures of me Scott.

I'm a 20 year old straight male, living in Salt lake City, looking for companionship and someone to keep me busy while i've got a tore up ACL.

Hit me up ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by pleinski85 View Post
    Ah, I see you posted those super cute pictures of me Scott.

I'm a 20 year old straight male, living in Salt lake City, looking for companionship and someone to keep me busy while i've got a tore up ACL.

Hit me up ladies.
    haha yep.

I have been meaning to ask.....

how stoned are you in this picture??

very interesting info where can i get more information on these skis...ie... different shapes/sizes/ price where to buy etc etc...as I am looking for a ski with a slight to moderate rocker.

Quote Originally Posted by s4hooligan View Post
    very interesting info where can i get more information on these skis...ie... different shapes/sizes/ price where to buy etc etc...as I am looking for a ski with a slight to moderate rocker.
    shoot me an email - skiups9 AT gmail DOT com is doing double time as my business and personal email right now. I usually go over the word limit in PMs and that is annoying....

More and more guys are getting out on the ON3Ps now...I was trying to get reviews collected in a dedicated forum over at ExoticSkis.com so people might find more info about Iggy's skis from another source, and maybe even pay him to build a pair or two!

I will try to harvest as many review links here as I can find...but if anyone already has a list, you could PM me or post it and I will be happy to list them over at Exotic... Can't wait to see a pair in person....
    Mass-Produced Skiers Use Mass-Produced Skis
    Rip it up with something different.
    Support small and independent ski builders
    http://www.ExoticSkis.com

Quote Originally Posted by ExoticSkis View Post
    More and more guys are getting out on the ON3Ps now...I was trying to get reviews collected in a dedicated forum over at ExoticSkis.com so people might find more info about Iggy's skis from another source, and maybe even pay him to build a pair or two!

I will try to harvest as many review links here as I can find...but if anyone already has a list, you could PM me or post it and I will be happy to list them over at Exotic... Can't wait to see a pair in person....
    I would like to point out that the birthplace was a private forum on newschoolers.com actually, I'm pretty sure that's where all the planning was, and where all the first people to buy skis from scott were from!

I wasn't stoned in the pictures either. i was just trying to show off my good side. of course that's not too hard, because all my sides are pretty good.

You're right, you're right....Newschoolers was the first place ON3P got traction...credit goes to where credit is due....oops..

Anyway... viva On3P....

Quote Originally Posted by pleinski85 View Post
    I would like to point out that the birthplace was a private forum on newschoolers.com actually, I'm pretty sure that's where all the planning was, and where all the first people to buy skis from scott were from!

I wasn't stoned in the pictures either. i was just trying to show off my good side. of course that's not too hard, because all my sides are pretty good.
    Mass-Produced Skiers Use Mass-Produced Skis
    Rip it up with something different.
    Support small and independent ski builders
    http://www.ExoticSkis.com

Excellent review! They look like they hold an edge well. I loved the comments at the end, especially the "fairy" feet-together and no "floppy dick tip"!

These seem similar to Moment Bibbys - how do they compare flex-wise?