Review: Stockli DP+ 186

Ski: Stockli DP+ 186
    Binding: Duke
    Mount: on the line
    Dimensions (these are the "plus" model): 131-101-118

Me: 5'8" 165ish, aggressive, flailing non-euro form
    Days on these skis: 3 (east coastish groomer day, Tahoe January spring day, boottop tahoe pow)
    Other skis in quiver: Kingswood Fat Stiffs 185, Stockli DP 174, Atomic REX 177

Soooo, I have been wanting to review these things for a while, but had basically only skied them on groomer days prior to yesterday's epic unexpected great snow day at Alpine Ghettos.

A little note, comparison to the old DP... These are a good deal stiffer, especially throughout. The old DP (at least mine in a 174) has a pretty soft tip, pretty stiff under foot, pretty soft tail. These are a bit more uniform, and definitely stiffer.

My first day on these was a groomer hardpack day. Man, I thought the old DP was stable, but these are amazing. What I found most surprising was how quick they are edge to edge considering their added girth over the old DP (especially considering these are wider). I havent skied a GS race ski in a long time, but these absolutely rail on hardpack. They were speed limitless for me.

On to the spring-ish snow. These are a bit less forgiving than the 'regular' DP, but still hold true to the Stockli dampness that I have loved in the past. The DP's I always thought were comfortable at speed in slop, and the DP+ is even better.

Given the added stiffness, I wasnt sure what to expect yesterday at Alpine in deeper snow (thought I might get some tip dive). Amazing snow and not many people around, so I had an opportunity to ski them in untouched boot top and deeper drifts, and I absolutely loved them. As fast as they are, I was actually able to relax on them somewhat in the soft stuff, and I had zero tip dive (which I have seen in the DP's, though that could have been length as much as width). They handled drops quite well, and only seemed to beat me up when I fell in the back seat due to not being in the best shape in the world. Oh, and they arent good at landing on the flat of a table top because one is going too slow... man my knees hurt.

This is still quite a preliminary review, as I only have 3 days on them, but they are a TON of fast fun, if you like stiff boards that require you to stay on top of them. Again, just amazed at their edge to edge considering how much ski they are, without feeling "turny"...

Keep in mind that some of this may have been a foregone conclusion with me, as I have somewhat of an obsession with this brand (the skis are just ridiculously solid/well built/stable/fast/fun), but I also had really high expectations... so.

very interesting, thanks! as a long time fan of the DP, I am scared by the news that there will be only DP+ next year... they look too stiff for a lazy fart like me....

Interesting, I didnt know about that.

The DP+ is indeed stiff, but I was surprised that it wasn't more punishing, especially considering i went from the 174 DP to the 186 DP+...

what 174 DP are you on? silver with asymmetric tails? black? brown?

Yeah, sorry, Silver with Asymetric (so the softer ones)

I decided I wanted some of these but have been holding fire to see if anyone skis the 193 to get an idea of how long that skis and the difference between the 186.

I'm 208lb and 6ft 2 so my head says the 193 would be the best bet, however I want the ski as an in between storms beast as I already have a powder ski so thought that if the 186 is stable enough then it would be an advantage to have the 27m radius in comparison to the 32m (i think) of the 193. They have a different profile too with a narrower tail. Might be a totally different flex too ! Decisions... I was all set to get the 186 but looking at your stats i'd say I should defo go 193...what you all reckon? I did have a thread about this but only one person had skied them so not much feedback. They do sound great though and what i'm wanting !
    Last edited by MickeysEars; 02-04-2009 at 04:22 PM.

Sorry about the idiotically late reply.

Re: length. Not sure... I tend to ski big skis "for me" and they definitely require an aggressive input, but that said you have many pounds on me...

Quote Originally Posted by Evmo View Post
    Sorry about the idiotically late reply.

Re: length. Not sure... I tend to ski big skis "for me" and they definitely require an aggressive input, but that said you have many pounds on me...
    No worries...I went for the 193cm anyway in the end. They arrive next week and then 14 days in Chamonix...hoping the good snow continues !! Will do a review when i'm back mid March. Can't wait to crank them up at mach 3!

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysEars View Post
    No worries...I went for the 193cm anyway in the end. They arrive next week and then 14 days in Chamonix...hoping the good snow continues !! Will do a review when i'm back mid March. Can't wait to crank them up at mach 3!
    Could you give us an update with your thoughts the DP pro plus. Thinking about getting some 186's. Same with you EVo, any updated thoughts!!!

Has anyone tried both these and the 188 89 waisted SS Pros?

Quote Originally Posted by Evmo View Post
    A little note, comparison to the old DP... These are a good deal stiffer, especially throughout. The old DP (at least mine in a 174) has a pretty soft tip, pretty stiff under foot, pretty soft tail. These are a bit more uniform, and definitely stiffer.
    good, i have the 184 DP (same model as yours) and while it is definitely a fun ski, i do find the tip/tail (esp. the tip) to be a bit too soft.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by mxpowder View Post
    Could you give us an update with your thoughts the DP pro plus. Thinking about getting some 186's. Same with you EVo, any updated thoughts!!!
    Still adoring these skis, I have been ignoring all of my other pairs b/c they are quite versatile.

Now that they have "broken in" a bit (they need a tune bad), they are just money. Obviously where they really excel is in chopped pow/crud, but I am just blown away at how rock solid they are on hardpack, and are "good enough" in deep stuff that I have been skiing them instead of my Kingswood fats in many cases (though I need to remount those).

Amazingly damp, quite stiff. The dampness is what i love. Their edge-to-edge quickness is surprising considering how big a ski they are.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions. just did a sidecountry day at A-basin yesterday (the beavers?) in untouched boottop, and they were a freaking blast.