What do you know about the Trek Session 10?

I've been looking for a free ride type bike that MiniGadget and I can share for lift served riding and the occasional super D and DH. I gave serious consideration to the Turner Highline and had all but decided on a Demo 7 when I stumbled upon a clean 2006 Trek Session 10 at a great price.

There are 14 reviews on mtbr and it scored a 5 out of 5 in every review. But for all I know, all 14 of those reviewers work for Trek. So, whether it's first-hand, second-hand or friend of a friend of your uncle Joe, any experience with the Session 10 you can offer would be appreciated.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Probably weighs about as much as MiniGadget so it it should feel damp as shit.

Saw one last weekend that looked pretty nice, Don't know what year it was but the kid was pretty fast on it.
    It’s the places you ride that are special, not you riding there.”

All stunts performed without a net!

I rode one the other day actually for two runs. The only other Fullys I've ridden are my 7point, and a little on my friends Socom.

Bike had the revox on it, and a boxxer team on the front.

It felt super slack at first, and it is rather slack, but thats good for railing berms. hte weight on it is very low, and the BB sits low too once you sag it out. I dont know what trek was thinking installing a gastank on a pedal bike though.

Compared to my 7point, it cornered better, soaked up ALL the bumps, and let me go noticibly faster. It soaked up rock gardens so well it made my 7point feel like a hardtail. Only thing wrong that i found with it is it is a single pivot. Once you get into breaking bumps, it gets really bouncy, and it has some good brake jack. I didn't get a chance to jump it, and only had two runs on it, but i really liked it.

I you want a downhill bike it is a good choice. The only thing that i found wrong with it is the single pivot. Vpp, or DW is just better once you need to start slowing down, I also forget how it pedaled.

Overall, it smoothed out all the rough stuff, but the single pivot shown through once you started braking.

I dont know if id get one to ride FR though.. But i didnt ride any FR on it, so take that with a grain of salt.

any other questions post it up and ill try to answer.

It's kind of heavy to be putting underneath junior.

Even for adults, it's the kind of bike you need to up your riding to match. It doesn't behave well until it's going mach retarded.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    It doesn't behave well until it's going mach retarded.
    I think I found my new sig line....
    -James

It doesn't behave well until it's going mach retarded.

It's kind of heavy to be putting underneath junior.

Even for adults, it's the kind of bike you need to up your riding to match. It doesn't behave well until it's going mach retarded.
    Shit.

I've had dates like that.

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Shit.

I've had dates like that.

bwahaha! 2 drops!
    Riding bikes, but not shredding pow...

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    The only thing that i found wrong with it is the single pivot.
    It sure looks like a single pivot, but I thought I read somewhere that it has some sort of linkage.

FWIW - MiniGadget is 14, stands a fraction over 5'6 and isn't a feather-weight. For $1500, I think the Trek is probably a great buy. But it may also be like a pair of shoes that are on sale. It doesn't matter how cheap they are if they don't fit your feet.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    It sure looks like a single pivot, but I thought I read somewhere that it has some sort of linkage.

FWIW - MiniGadget is 14, stands a fraction over 5'6 and isn't a feather-weight. For $1500, I think the Trek is probably a great buy. But it may also be like a pair of shoes that are on sale. It doesn't matter how cheap they are if they don't fit your feet.
    Id buy one for $1500. It might not be the best match, but he's 14 he will grow out of it soon anyways. Plus then you'll know what you want in a bike. Its fun to go mach balls on, but i would hate to ride it on anything really techy, like northshore, or freeride stunts. Kidwoo has it right, it really liked going fast.

And im not sure about the linkage but the guy who owned it said single pivot, and he works for trek. He said that the session 88 is that bike but everything is better, it has a linkage, a little less slack, and lighter.

It's definitely a single pivot. And that in itself is neither a detriment or an asset. There are plenty of single pivots out there that blow away most multi pivot designs.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

The bike is killer! Very forgiving, rolls thru and over anything. I've got a large I'll make you a hell of a deal on cause I've got the 88 on the way.
    Have fun or get hurt bad. "MFT" A.K.A. Dr. Doom

There are but three true sports--bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. "Ernest Hemingway"

make sure this is only for lift served, the kind of angles and sag added to the weight make this bike the kind that you can't lift the front tire to go over a curb with.

also keep in mind that if you give mini this bike his technique may become sloppy. i'd say stick to a hardtail if he doesn't already have a few years on one, he'll thank you later.
    Last edited by flyby; 10-02-2008 at 10:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Divebomber View Post
    OR sign it with a fake sig, then later they say "we have your sig!" NO you dont!

Doesn't Marshal have a dope Chumba for sale???

Lifted from Ridemonkey.
    It’s the places you ride that are special, not you riding there.”

All stunts performed without a net!

in the middle of a Norman Rockwell painting
    Quote Originally Posted by flyby View Post

also keep in mind that if you give mini this bike his technique may become sloppy. i'd say stick to a hardtail if he doesn't already have a few years on one, he'll thank you later.
    FAIL! Why not get him to start riding a unicycle, so he can work on his balance 'technique'? I've ridden one a few times and would agree with most of what's been said here. If the size is right, the price sure is. Your boy's techniques will be pushed by stepping up to a rig like that cause you really have to ride the bike (think driving stiff skis through a turn) and since he's 14, it's not like you are buying this for him to have forever. trigger = pulled either on this rig, AD's, or Marsh's rig.

Quote Originally Posted by reidhresko View Post
    FAIL! Why not get him to start riding a unicycle, so he can work on his balance 'technique'? I've ridden one a few times and would agree with most of what's been said here. If the size is right, the price sure is. Your boy's techniques will be pushed by stepping up to a rig like that cause you really have to ride the bike (think driving stiff skis through a turn) and since he's 14, it's not like you are buying this for him to have forever. trigger = pulled either on this rig, AD's, or Marsh's rig.
    i guess i may be thinking about the north shore style riding i started out on, but being on a hardtail definitely helped me understand flow better than plowing through everything on 10 inches. I felt that was a better way for me to learn but i don't ride much downhill, more techy stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Divebomber View Post
    OR sign it with a fake sig, then later they say "we have your sig!" NO you dont!