Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Silverton TR

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    I heard that it was the most people on an unguided day ever, and I can believe it from how busy I have been for the last 3 days.

From what I gathered talking to folks... yesterday was one of the toughest days at the mountain ever for the staff. Power going out was just the shit icing on top of a difficult situation. They try their best, but when you are outnumbered 30 to 1 customers to guides/staff (there are only ~10 non-guide staff total) and everyone has to go through multiple bottle necks at all stages to get on the lift the situation is setup for failure. All of town is stretched thin with the number of people who descended on Silverton this weekend.

I truly hope the new ownership finds a way to stagger the craziness of unguided better. These first few weekends since the introduction of the cheap single drop have been nuts. In three weeks there will be less than a hundred people skiing daily. An idea I heard from my GFs dad last night is to make the heli drops more expensive the closer you are to opening weekend. If you want to come in mid-March for your single drop it is going to be $150 to ski Grassy. If you come April 10th it's $59. Or just get rid of the cheap heli skiing all together... but that ship has likely sailed, this is what Silverton is known for sadly.

I'll have a beer for you next time you swing around! See ya then.
    I actually skipped the heli drop this year. Last year it too me half a powder day to get the heli lap in while my friends got 3-4 laps.

For the record, most of the employees are awesome. I know a few of them from bitd. Even the bitchy ones i try to kill with kindness. Not their fault that the system is so broken.

Coming down an awesome run to a hour plus wait for the bus and signs telling us not to ski the road back to our car just almost put me over the edge. On one lap they would only fill the bus half way. Some of us just ganged skied the road, made it to the car in 5 mins instead of waiting an hour plus for a broken down prison bus to pick us up.

Those busses are a big part of the problem. Not sure why they cant just get trailers like Taos or WP.

And yeah, raise the fucking prices. Maybe extend unguided for more of the season too. Cheap heli laps are neat and all, but i have about a thousand hours in helis so the nuance is lost on me. I mean the run is ok usually, but i like the steeps and trees inbounds more anyway. Too much of a shitshow for me anymore.

It is just frustrating to see something that could be so great struggle with some basic issues year after year.

Bummer. We were kicking around catching it next week but sounds like too much of a shit show any more.

‘Call it paradise and kiss it goodbye.’

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Do they even bother to update their snow report? Did they really only get 3 inches in the last 48 hrs?
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Bummer. We were kicking around catching it next week but sounds like too much of a shit show any more.

‘Call it paradise and kiss it goodbye.’

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    You should still come up. Skiing was excellent today apparently, and crowds cleared out after the first hour or so.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    Do they even bother to update their snow report? Did they really only get 3 inches in the last 48 hrs?
    Nah, it's snowed more than that at my house where it's been 32+ degrees for 10+ hours each of the last few days. From what I have heard it has snowed more like 16-20 in the last 48. Snowing right now out my window too.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    It seems they intentionally under report during unguided season in hopes of reducing the crowd-related issues, as exampled above (and some iteration thereof that happens each year).
    I french kissed Kelly Kapowski.

Best guess as to number of unguided skiers and heli drops?

Coming in 2 weekends with phall and 5 other friends for phall's bachelor party. Skiing the 29th and 30th, already booked our tickets.

I know there is a "trail map" but any other resources we should familiarize ourselves with prior to arrival to maximize our days? I'd imagine that asking staff each morning what zones they recommend would be helpful. Feel free to DM if that's best. Thanks!

Ski the backside early usually. It closes at 1:30. Hikes arent always worth it. Sometimes there is great stuff down low with less work. Sometimes the N side busses suck too so skiing back to the base or Tiger can be more efficient. Aspect plays a big part in snow quality down there. Left side of chute might be crap, and right side pow. Theres a lot of nuances to their system down there. Stay patient, be nice to employees and guide and bus drivers, and good things will come your way.

There is always guides at the top to give advice on where to go.

Im trying to head back for the beer fest and skiing the first week of April.

The Silverton Mountain Shitshow is nothing new. In fact, it has been a feature pretty much since inception.

That said, I went with my eldest kid at the end of March last year and had a good day, 'cause the ski terrain there is really good.

They still talking about putting a lift up the other side of the valley?

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Best guess as to number of unguided skiers and heli drops?
    Since I worked all weekend I didn't make it up to the mountain so I won't venture to guess total numbers ... but I know there were 200+ single drops scheduled each day on Thurs/Fri/Sat, with no ability to push it to the next day if you didn't fly due to weather. Hopefully people were understanding when they got bumped and other flew the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    Coming in 2 weekends with phall and 5 other friends for phall's bachelor party. Skiing the 29th and 30th, already booked our tickets.

I know there is a "trail map" but any other resources we should familiarize ourselves with prior to arrival to maximize our days? I'd imagine that asking staff each morning what zones they recommend would be helpful. Feel free to DM if that's best. Thanks!
    Hell yea! The trail map ain't that great, but talking to the guides in the morning to get a sense of what is skiing well is the best way to get info usually. Being patient and understanding of the morning base area shitshow is a good idea too. Bring a thermos fill it with your hot beverage of choice, a big puffy and get ready to wait around a bit. Depending on snowfall and recent conditions, understanding how the aspects and sun play in can lead to a much better experience too. Feel free to DM me with specific questions or swing by my shop when you get in to town.

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    Since I worked all weekend I didn't make it up to the mountain so I won't venture to guess total numbers ... but I know there were 200+ single drops scheduled each day on Thurs/Fri/Sat, with no ability to push it to the next day if you didn't fly due to weather. Hopefully people were understanding when they got bumped and other flew the next day.

Hell yea! The trail map ain't that great, but talking to the guides in the morning to get a sense of what is skiing well is the best way to get info usually. Being patient and understanding of the morning base area shitshow is a good idea too. Bring a thermos fill it with your hot beverage of choice, a big puffy and get ready to wait around a bit. Depending on snowfall and recent conditions, understanding how the aspects and sun play in can lead to a much better experience too. Feel free to DM me with specific questions or swing by my shop when you get in to town.
    Solid advice all around. Busy weekend, but the snow was good. Definitely had to play the aspect game there.

Looks like my van's transmission will be repaired just in time for me to get up to Silverton. I've been booked for the March 28-30 for months and thought I might not make it; looks like I'll be there!

Any recent reports?

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    Looks like my van's transmission will be repaired just in time for me to get up to Silverton. I've been booked for the March 28-30 for months and thought I might not make it; looks like I'll be there!

Any recent reports?
    Insta shots from today looked excellent and more snow for the weekend make me think it will be damn good. Reports are hit or miss from up there, but I've heard the alpine in the same zone has gotten 12-18" in the last 48 hours or so.

ISFA Challenger comp happening tomorrow from the Billboard down to Dope Face zone so the upper mountain will stay closed till Thursday at least too.

Pluff was that you on the bro’s with pink/purp pivots? Didn’t catch you to ask for change if so. Fun weekend up there. Snow was variable but tiger claw chalk fest to corn down low Saturday was sick.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Hell of a place for a bachelor party.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5500.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	169.9 KB 
ID:	492664

Name:	IMG_5910.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	487.5 KB 
ID:	492666

Name:	IMG_5918.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	161.3 KB 
ID:	492667

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Pluff was that you on the bro’s with pink/purp pivots? Didn’t catch you to ask for change if so. Fun weekend up there. Snow was variable but tiger claw chalk fest to corn down low Saturday was sick.

Yo!
    That was me!
    They served me well.

Super sick up there.
    Best conditions I've skied there.
    I booked a 3 day guided plus a single heli drop back in November.

Showed up late for my first day of guided got bumped out of two big heli groups and lucked into a small group of 4 + guide and off we went to drop first into Meatball!
    (Did I mention that I was a heli virgin and this was the first run of the day?)

Velocity basin is truly impressive and landing at the top was like standing next to The Void.
    I like blind rollovers, but it was like there was nothing there.
    Watching our guide Jamie do a kick turn right at the edge of the void like it was nothing was something.

Opted for another single drop and up we went for for first tracks down Hot Carl!
    I was granted brief entrance to the white room a few turns down from the cornice at the knuckle at the top of the entrance to the tight chute proper.

Showing up late was serendipitous as that (as I understand it) is not single drop territory.
    I mentioned to a guide on the following day how the two skiers (one man, one woman) were both ripping skiers; turns out they were organizers and judges for the FWT event that had been held in Silverton a few days prior.
    It also explains why the male skier said he couldn't even count how many times he'd been in a bird.

Then had a private lap with Wade in some steep tight ass forests which were a hoot.
    Especially after I said it's easier with a blank canvas and he said: You go first!
    And then Tiger 4.

Second day Kyle hiked me near to death: First down Ropedy 4, Cabin, Concussion, Mando.

Last day with Rob (who guided me on my very first day at Silverton like 12 years ago).
    He got us into Pope to Dope, Colorado, another run I can't recall the name of, but most notably first down Vodka Shot to Apron Shot. Pretty spicy just to get there. He said that in 17 years of guiding he couldn't recall taking a guided group there; even heard another guide grumbling about seeing us come out of there: "If I had known Vodka Shot was open ! ... "
    I mentioned that to Rob and he laughed: "He wouldn't have even have known how to in there."

All in all, very satisfied.

Anyway, I'm sorry I missed you too but it loo,s like you had fun!

Awesome! We did ok figuring it out unguided and the heli is such a rad experience. Need to get back.

Headed down this weekend again. Hope this warm weather midweek doesn't jack the snow up too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Awesome! We did ok figuring it out unguided and the heli is such a rad experience. Need to get back.

Glad you guys had a good time!

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    Yo!

Last day with Rob (who guided me on my very first day at Silverton like 12 years ago).
    He got us into Pope to Dope, Colorado, another run I can't recall the name of, but most notably first down Vodka Shot to Apron Shot. Pretty spicy just to get there. He said that in 17 years of guiding he couldn't recall taking a guided group there; even heard another guide grumbling about seeing us come out of there: "If I had known Vodka Shot was open ! ... "
    I mentioned that to Rob and he laughed: "He wouldn't have even have known how to in there."
    Vodka shots! That's a rare one for sure. Also I can hear Rob laughing about getting there. He's one of the best in the business.

Glad to hear it was a good weekend for folks around here. I am pretty sure I met some of mags this weekend. Couple folks came into the shop and then at the Wyman Bar.

Crazy that there are only two weeks left. Gotta get up there soon for some turns now that I am skiing somewhat hard again

Looks like $249 unguided pass next year, season through 4.13.24.

Was selfishly hoping for one more week, as I work in the tax world and am swamped this time of year...
    a witty saying proves nothing
    voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by miserywhip View Post
    Looks like $249 unguided pass next year, season through 4.13.24.

Was selfishly hoping for one more week, as I work in the tax world and am swamped this time of year...
    Bought mine already. As much BS as there is, it is still one of the best deals in skiing. The mountain is pretty amazing year after year.

Unguided base goes up $50 and premium goes up $100.
    Last years deal was one heli for $39 and a second free one. Now it's $99 for heli lap.

Overall a crushing deal still.

Inflation. It's a science.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Unguided base goes up $50 and premium goes up $100.
    Last years deal was one heli for $39 and a second free one. Now it's $99 for heli lap.

Overall a crushing deal still.

Inflation. It's a science.
    I'm all for it. $39 is dumb for a Heli lap, especially when they have such high demand. Cut the demand down a bit, make a little more money maybe. I didn't even do the Heli lap this year because it was such a waste of time last year. I am better off lapping the chair honestly. Unless you get three or more drops (and luck out like Pluffenmeister) you are just meadow skipping with the plebs.

Don't mind $250 either, but yeah, at some point it'll hit a price point where I bow out I'm sure. Hopefully the timing coincides with me retiring from steep skiing.

New owners gonna raise prices, I get it. For now... I just like skiing steep stuff and hiking/skinning as little as possible. Is that too much to ask?

^^^^^

Non, au contraire mon frere.

Easy steeps are my jam, as the kids say/said.

I'm frankly impressed that the first price steps weren't a bit more. That's still chump change.
    New ownership implies greater costs all around.