Revelstoke and Cherryville incidents

Another two serious incidents in Southern Interior BC:-

"Four people were in hospital — two in critical condition — after two separate avalanches Monday afternoon in southeastern B.C. Three were injured in an avalanche near Revelstoke, about 200 kilometres northeast of Kelowna, said B.C. Emergency Health Services (BCEHS). The fourth person was caught in an avalanche near Cherryville further south. Two of the people in the Revelstoke avalanche were in critical condition, and the other person was in serious condition. The condition of the person injured in the Cherryville avalanche was unknown.

The avalanches occurred just two days after a man died from an avalanche near Valemount and two weeks after an avalanche near Kaslo killed two Nelson police officers. Avalanche Canada has warned the snowpack this season is unusually weak and highly susceptible to avalanches. A forecaster told CBC on Monday prior to the two recent avalanches that dangerous conditions are likely to persist for some time in the province, particularly in the Interior and northwestern B.C.

Tiffany Akins from BCEHS said an ambulance responded to the call from Cherryville, which is about 100 kilometres northeast of Kelowna, around 2:15 p.m. PT on Monday. Atkins said a helicopter was sent, but it was unable to land. Crews instead picked up the patient by ground ambulance from the highway around 3:30 p.m. Less than 10 minutes after receiving the first call, BCEHS heard of the other avalanche near Revelstoke. Atkins said those patients were picked up by private helicopter and met by ground ambulance at the Kelowna airport. "

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...nche-1.6723863

The Cherryville avalanche was in the Keefer Lake area. The Revelstoke incident was possibly up towards the Pass. RCMP and emergency vehicles went up the Trans Can with lights on yesterday.

I doubt the multiple unmarked police vehicles reported as coming from west of Malakwa well before noon were anything to do with the avalanche incidents in the afternoon. I think the first report of them heading east was Salmon Arm at 9:50am.

That’s going to be rough one for the guide and everyone involved.

Revelstoke fatalities were near Mt McCrae. RIP. https://www.revelstokereview.com/new...ar-revelstoke/

CMH official statement:-

"We are deeply saddened to advise you that at approximately 2:46 pm MST on January 23, 2023, there was an avalanche at CMH Nomads, near the town of Revelstoke, BC. Three individuals were caught in the slide with two fully buried and one partially buried. The individuals were located by their transceivers and extracted from the snow.

CMH Guides attended to two guests who were unresponsive. The two guests were flown to Kelowna airport and transported to Kelowna General Hospital where both guests were sadly pronounced deceased. The third person, a CMH guide, is presently in stable condition and has been transferred by ground to Kelowna General Hospital from Revelstoke.

The thousands of guests who ski with us each winter are our family. It is impossible to put into words the sorrow that we feel and the sadness that is shared by our guests, their families and all of our staff.

An investigation of the events is being coordinated by the BC Coroner’s Office and the RCMP.

For 58 years and over 10 million guided runs, our primary focus remains on the safety of our guests and staff. At this time, our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of the deceased.

Rob Rohn, President & COO, and the CMH Team"

https://www.cmhheli.com/announcement...kduckgo.com%2F

I am fairly certain a guide I was skiing with last week (not as a client) was involved, possibly directly. Cannot imagine how rough this is going to be. We are not close pals, but share close mutual friends. I hugged this person goodbye at the end of our trip 3 days ago.

I know this weird internet community is well-connected and unfortunately well-versed in avalanche accidents. If anybody has specific resources they can recommend for folks (especially guides) involved in situations like this one please reach out via PM so I can pass them along. I need to provide something better than "let me know what I can do to help bro."

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    I am fairly certain a guide I was skiing with last week (not as a client) was involved, possibly directly. Cannot imagine how rough this is going to be. We are not close pals, but share close mutual friends. I hugged this person goodbye at the end of our trip 3 days ago.

I know this weird internet community is well-connected and unfortunately well-versed in avalanche accidents. If anybody has specific resources they can recommend for folks (especially guides) involved in situations like this one please reach out via PM so I can pass them along. I need to provide something better than "let me know what I can do to help bro."
    PM's don't seem to be working for me, but it may be worth pointing your friend towards Ken Wylie, who was a junior guide during the La Traviata tragedy in the early 2000s. I've only met Ken in passing but have some family members who know him better/have taken courses from him. He's made a point about publishing work and talking about his process following that incident.

Looks like he recently wrote an article about it and should be able to get in touch with him through that website:

https://www.archetypal.ca/blog/survi...n0UNpPrMsl1h_E

No personal experience with this program:

https://www.mountainmuskox.com

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...r-bc-1.6725339

Ken Wylie 20 yrs later ^^ and his thots on this years snow pack compared to 03
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by snoboy View Post
    No personal experience with this program:

https://www.mountainmuskox.com
    Mountain Muskox was created for exactly this kind of situation. Send your friend there asap.

Sent from my SM-A536U using Tapatalk