Check Out Our Shop
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Why don't the British build computers?
    They couldn't find a way to make them leak oil

Did you know Lucas Electrics made a vacuum cleaner? It was the only product they made that didn't suck

What do you call an MG with a dual exhaust?
    A wheelbarrow

Did you hear about the guy whose Land Rover didn't leak oil?
    The factory took it back and worked on it until it did

Alexander Graham Bell invented the Telephone. Thomas Edison invented the Light Bulb. Joseph Lucas invented the Short Circuit.

The three positions of a Lucas switch: dim, flicker, and off

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Big tires are great for sand/rock as you can lower the air pressure and basically go anywhere, not to mention the toughened sidewalls for cactus/sharp rocks. Full size spares are great, but what's even better is never flatting in the first place.
    I mean, how big are we talking here? I definitely want to avoid the big wheel, low profile sidewall trend, but I also don't think I need 37in tires for what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    No issues with the emissions system? That is always what worries me with diesels, though diesel isn't much more expensive than gas where I am and it makes sense to me in a heavy truck.
    No issues at all, robust and reliable system, rarely the EGR valve goes, but not a big deal. They recommend running it above 2000 rpm for 20 min on occasion to keep the system clean. Also CDs have a 10 year warranty on all emissions and drivetrain due to dieselgate, so my 2016 is covered til late 2026.

I was wondering this too. They definitely aren't under the radar where I am and for any substantially lower than new pricing, you're looking at 100k+ and often notably more than that. I really think the "soccer mom dumps capable vehicle" sweet spot is now the Y62 Armada/QX80 since the former went onto the Patrol platform that every Aussie mag pits against the Land Cruiser.

Edit: Actually looking at them now, the GXs are a bit better price wise than when I last looked. Not cheap, but not absolutely insane anymore. Still extra terrible mileage for a midsized vehicle, but getting closer to my price/mileage/capability desire point.
    There was a goldilocks time to buy them…. 2014?-2018? When Karen’s were ditching their 5-10yo 470s for new 460s…. Before the cool kids got into pretending to overland….

CIP - I bought a Lexus of Bellevue maintained 2007 with 95k in 2017 for $12k from a wealthy Ukrainian housewife. I could easily sell it for a profit today, but it seemed like back in 2021 I could have doubled my money…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I bought a maintained wealthy Ukrainian housewife. I could easily sell it for a profit today.[/url]
    Have they really gone up that much in value? I've been out of the market for a while

Another GX470 owner here. Just rolled over 200k, so I've toyed with the idea of buying a different GX470/460. But it's paid for (2006, bought w 135k years ago for $14k), drives well and I know all issues (timing belt/water pump, radiator, General Grabber ATX tires) are right with it. Mine still has original airbags working great. I may use the 1" lower for grocery/kid loading mode more frequently than 2" offroad mode, and I may be ashamed of that. I keep hoping the air bags will crap out so I can do a quality lift but figure run it til it breaks.

I mean, how big are we talking here? I definitely want to avoid the big wheel, low profile sidewall trend, but I also don't think I need 37in tires for what I do.
    31-33" tires. You don't need any bigger than that. A lot of dudes in 80 series run 16" rims with 285/75 which is about a 33" and do great. Only need bigger for more aggressive stuff. When you get much bigger than 33", you're looking at more suspension component upgrades, speedo corrections, increased driveline wear, possible re-gearing, etc.

The bigger thing to consider is having more sidewall so when you deflate the tire can actually squish a bit for more contact and still not screw your rims and bead up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Size is largely a function of the vehicle vs. a raw thing. A Land Cruiser on 37's, for example, isn't that much bigger than stock (which is 32 or so). For desert terrain it's more about width anyhow (I imagine) for flotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    31-33" tires. You don't need any bigger than that. A lot of dudes in 80 series run 16" rims with 285/75 which is about a 33" and do great. Only need bigger for more aggressive stuff. When you get much bigger than 33", you're looking at more suspension component upgrades, speedo corrections, increased driveline wear, possible re-gearing, etc.

The bigger thing to consider is having more sidewall so when you deflate the tire can actually squish a bit for more contact and still not screw your rims and bead up.
    Disregard this. It's all about those 20's.

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Has anyone mentioned the 2024 Kia Telluride X line?..maybe not large enough?
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

How interested are you in modifying a vehicle and dealing with the annoyances that brings? A 1/2 ton pickup with big coilovers, flexy leaf packs, new upper control arms, some skids and maybe a bumper on 35ish inch tires is gonna be able to smash thru the desert and slow speed wheel pretty well. It's also gonna squeak some if you push it hard, those expensive shocks are gonna need rebuilt every 20-30k, and that size tires significantly more expensive than the 31-33 inch class of tire. They're also just big.

Midsized pickups, in my experience, are more comfortable exploring unknown roads that may or may not be passable, are more capable at slow speed harder core wheeling, and obviously just fit thru and around more things. That said, they're not much if any more efficient than a half ton, can haul way less, and unless buying newer models they're slow.

Put a soft rollup tonneau cover on the bed or a shell and you have a spot out of the weather to haul stuff. The roll up covers are easy if you want to have an open bed at times as well.

Quote Originally Posted by claymond View Post
    How interested are you in modifying a vehicle and dealing with the annoyances that brings? A 1/2 ton pickup with big coilovers, flexy leaf packs, new upper control arms, some skids and maybe a bumper on 35ish inch tires is gonna be able to smash thru the desert and slow speed wheel pretty well. It's also gonna squeak some if you push it hard, those expensive shocks are gonna need rebuilt every 20-30k, and that size tires significantly more expensive than the 31-33 inch class of tire. They're also just big.

Midsized pickups, in my experience, are more comfortable exploring unknown roads that may or may not be passable, are more capable at slow speed harder core wheeling, and obviously just fit thru and around more things. That said, they're not much if any more efficient than a half ton, can haul way less, and unless buying newer models they're slow.

Put a soft rollup tonneau cover on the bed or a shell and you have a spot out of the weather to haul stuff. The roll up covers are easy if you want to have an open bed at times as well.
    I'm not that interested in heavily modifying anything, though there are some awesome desert running trucks in my town. A couple a few blocks down is into desert racing and they have both a "Beatle" set up as a desert racer as well as a a couple of trucks. I definitely think it would be fun to build something up someday, but this vehicle will be more about getting places for other things than the joy of driving itself.

Another vehicle that intrigues me is the Volvo XC90. More on the road/ski trip side of things, but they actually have pretty decent angles and really good ground clearance. The ones optioned with the air suspension have 10.5 inches of ground clearance, which is nearly Jeep Rubicon level, but the standard suspension still hits 9.5. And they have a PHEV version, which would work for my commute. And if one car covered all those roles, then the second car could be fun.

The annoying part I'd that the smaller of the wheel options is 20in. I'd much prefer smaller to fit more side wall. I haven't checked deeply enough to see if there is an issue with brake calipers on smaller wheel sizes.

Haven't seen the Honda Pilot trail sport mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Meconium View Post
    Haven't seen the Honda Pilot trail sport mentioned.
    I have a Honda Ridgeline that I quite like, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone intending to drive off road frequently. Ground clearance isn't great, there's no skid plating (though the Trail Sport versions of the Pilot and Passport apparently have some), and it's AWD and no low range.

That said, these are unbeatable for an on road bad weather vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I have a Honda Ridgeline that I quite like, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone intending to drive off road frequently. Ground clearance isn't great, there's no skid plating (though the Trail Sport versions of the Pilot and Passport apparently have some), and it's AWD and no low range.

That said, these are unbeatable for an on road bad weather vehicle.
    I'm thinking of getting a 2020ish Cringeline soon. Weird looking ute thing, but I love Honda and they seem so versatile. One car quiver. Really wondering where the line is drawn on their off-road capabilities. I don't need much, but want something that will last a LONG time doing minor off-road stuff.

I need something that can commute to UNR from Carnelian Bay 4-5 days a week in whatever weather and road conditions with decent mileage.. that also can transport MX bikes with better gas mileage and security than my father's 3500 4x4 Van with hitch rack. He's pretty sick of me putting mileage on his stuff, he doesn't want the bikes inside the passenger build, and I don't blame him.

The maximum off roading the Ridgeline would see is like around the Prosser Dam area and some similar unpaved roads to MX tracks around CA/NV. Too much for an Impreza, but an Outback is fine, that kind of "off-roading".

I would trade in a Subaru Impreza most likely. Impreza rocks for commuting I80 in the crap conditions, but can't off-road much and more importantly can't handle a hitch rack for MX bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by forumskier View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a 2020ish Cringeline soon. Weird looking ute thing, but I love Honda and they seem so versatile. One car quiver. Really wondering where the line is drawn on their off-road capabilities. I don't need much, but want something that will last a LONG time doing minor off-road stuff.

I need something that can commute to UNR from Carnelian Bay 4-5 days a week in whatever weather and road conditions with decent mileage.. that also can transport MX bikes with better gas mileage and security than my father's 3500 4x4 Van with hitch rack. He's pretty sick of me putting mileage on his stuff, he doesn't want the bikes inside the passenger build, and I don't blame him.

The maximum off roading the Ridgeline would see is like around the Prosser Dam area and some similar unpaved roads to MX tracks around CA/NV. Too much for an Impreza, but an Outback is fine, that kind of "off-roading".

I would trade in a Subaru Impreza most likely. Impreza rocks for commuting I80 in the crap conditions, but can't off-road much and more importantly can't handle a hitch rack for MX bikes.
    There are lift kits for the Ridgeline, but IMHO just buy a Tacoma or Frontier if offroad usage in a small truck is your goal. Or a Colorado/ Canyon or Ranger. Or Gladiator if it's REALLY your thing. The Ridgeline is wide, long, and low(ish). It's a Pilot with a bed, essentially, which is why it drives much much better than any body-on-frame pickup truck.

The Ridgeline would hold a dirt bike or two without issue.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

FWIW, Every IRS cute ute or "truck" I see on the road with any type of substantial weight in the rear is always splayed out. I'd worry about tires and the longevity of suspension components. Just do what Chup recommended and get a Taco/Colorado/Ranger with a solid axle.

It would see max 300lbs in the back. Are you telling me that's too much? I put 300lbs of dogs in my 2007 Honda Fit on a regular basis, and that car is sincerely draggin' ass.

Those great small trucks don't get the mpgs. I need to read some reddit info on real world Ridgeline gas consumption before I say anything more.

It would see max 300lbs in the back. Are you telling me that's too much? I put 300lbs of dogs in my 2007 Honda Fit on a regular basis, and that car is sincerely draggin' ass.

Those great small trucks don't get the mpgs. I need to read some reddit info on real world Ridgeline gas consumption before I say anything more.
    300lbs in the back centered over the axle or 300lbs on the hitch rack, 4 feet from the centerline of the bed?

An AWD Ridgeline has a payload rating around 1500#. A dirt bike in the bed will be fine.

I don't know how strong the hitch is, or how well reinforced it is running forward along the "frame" back there. It's rated at something like 600# max tongue weight, but I'd want to research some more before putting a cantilevered motorcycle carrier out back.

I had a 2019 Ridgeline and my advice is get a truck if you’re going to do truck stuff. It’s terrible off road on anything other than smooth logging road, suspension too soft, bad clearance, i scraped all the time, rear end links wore out at 30k miles and i only ever hauled 600 lbs max, never towed anything but small utility trailer. its a very nice minivan with a bed that is Lexus-level comfortable and handles very well on pavement. Amazing on road in snow with proper tires; as good as any Quattro or Subaru, the awd system is $$, so is a great ski sled, just not an off roader at all.

Not mine, but this looks like it has potential:
    https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/WP1AD2A23ELA77194
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Not mine, but this looks like it has potential:
    https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/WP1AD2A23ELA77194
    Dude needs something more capable off road than his Transit Connect and we're recommending a Canyenne on 21's. I see that sidewall lasting a half hour. WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    Dude needs something more capable off road than his Transit Connect and we're recommending a Canyenne on 21's. I see that sidewall lasting a half hour. WTF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just don't bend the sheetmetal.