Check Out Our Shop
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Well, there we go.
    Although it doesn't mention how gnomes sharpen all the rocks over the summer.
    Via percussion. Duh.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/su...-tools-easily/

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Yes, they do. It's called land swaps. Read the article.
    As long as the electorate supports or soft peddles them, the wealthy will fuck the rest of the country as hard as they can.
    We'll always have Paris

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    I'll just go xc skiing on national forest. That can't take that
    They can get permits for commercial use that exclude individuals from the land, or private landowners can restrict access to trailheads, parking, other access points to public land, and so on. I don't mean that it's all going to disappear in a short time, but don't be complacent about access, it is easy to lose.

You think they'll get Yellowstone np?

Printed money goes to banks and hedge funds large companies and PE firms before it makes it to labor. PE firms and large companies that were able to leverage debt during ZIRP times were given house money to go out and buy anything and everything that could generate ROI including ski resorts and land and hundreds of thousands of single family homes.

It's literally printed money competing against labor for housing, all over the world.

The ski bum playbook of working a lower wage labor job in exchange for access to outdoor recreation is dead for the next generation. It'll still be possible to live in squalor in employee housing or some slumlord apartment until getting burned out, but the bottom rung of the property ladder is increasingly out of reach in any desirable location anywhere in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    PE is ruining EVERYTHING. Ski towns are a sore point but it’s a huge problem when PE acquires a company, saddles it w debt while siphoning cash, then declaring bankruptcy and leaving a trail of unemployed people wondering what happened

Guillotine time
    Private equity's effect on super high end real estate is crazy. Like, there are super rich people, who have so much money they literaly can't find things to do with it, so there are ultra luxury high rises built, in places like hong kong, new york, etc, that aren't even lived in AT ALL, even as vacation homes, or rentals or anything. They are strictly used as an asset, a commodity, from before they're even designed, its pretty much known no one will even live in them.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    …The ski bum playbook of working a lower wage labor job in exchange for access to outdoor recreation is dead for the next generation…
    That’s how I see it. Well, it was nice while it lasted.

Printed money goes to banks and hedge funds large companies and PE firms before it makes it to labor. PE firms and large companies that were able to leverage debt during ZIRP times were given house money to go out and buy anything and everything that could generate ROI including ski resorts and land and hundreds of thousands of single family homes.

It's literally printed money competing against labor for housing, all over the world.

The ski bum playbook of working a lower wage labor job in exchange for access to outdoor recreation is dead for the next generation. It'll still be possible to live in squalor in employee housing or some slumlord apartment until getting burned out, but the bottom rung of the property ladder is increasingly out of reach in any desirable location anywhere in the world.
    This is being done on purpose. They want to enslave us all. Own nothing and be happy.

Lack of ski bum opportunities is mildly concerning, but what will this country look like when there is literally no middle class? The politicians have already started to do things that are brazenly opposite of the public interest. They always gave lip service to being public servants but more and more they're just making it clear they think they're the rulers and we're the subjects. Think how that will change when there is literally no one who owns real estate except those born into immense wealth while 99.999% of people are destined to rent forever or be homeless?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    …The politicians have already started to do things that are brazenly opposite of the public interest…
    Um, old news.

Go up to Rock Creek lake for me and pour out a Green Death (Rainier Ale) for me and my deceased friend whose family lost the cabin their grandfather built up there.

This shit has been going on for ever and soft peddling it just supports it.
    Best I can do is a Miller lite and East fork rez.

Sent from my SM-S236DL using Tapatalk

Many ski towns didn't really used to be desirable, just towns with ski areas near by. But desirable to whom is part of it. I've certainly benefitted from what's gone down around here some folks don't understand when I say it's not better. Hanging out with friends, skiing, fuckin' off in the woods, that's about it.

I just learned that the Feds actively seek out land swaps. They advise the party that wants the public land, what private parcel to buy such that they can basically extort the taxpayers. Up at The Jane there is private land in Bridgers Cache that has no access. These are premium homesites. Really the only ski in ski out single family homes on the mountain. The owners purchased land up 125 that crosses Stillwater Pass (CR 41). Its been defact public as long as I can remember. Its basically a wetlands. I went to the dog and pony show known as public comment where the private owner's rep basically said they'd prohibit access because the proper easement isn't in place or something. The fair value of the land they want has to be something like $5million (private access of The Jane Rd. to I think 6 building lots).

Maybe the #vanlife thing isn't such a fad?
    dirtbag, not a dentist

The politicians have already started to do things that are brazenly opposite of the public interest. They always gave lip service to being public servants but more and more they're just making it clear they think they're the rulers and we're the subjects. Think how that will change when there is literally no one who owns real estate except those born into immense wealth while 99.999% of people are destined to rent forever or be homeless?
    Some politicians have not only been bought off by the wealthy, but the same ilk of politician is who have convinced part of the electorate to vote for them right down the Ayn Rand alley. Less gubbermint and more privatization of everything.

Funny thing is that ski towns became the "in" place because of the dirtbags who lived there.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    So Jared Smith is the guy that made concerts extremely expensive with high prices and all of the "fees" associated with a ticket while locking down every venue under Ticketmaster? No wonder it's hard for a family of four to take a ski trip. Or go to a concert. Jared is a fucking genius.

Some politicians have not only been bought off by the wealthy, but the same ilk of politician is who have convinced part of the electorate to vote for them right down the Ayn Rand alley. Less gubbermint and more privatization of everything.

Funny thing is that ski towns became the "in" place because of the dirtbags who lived there.
    I think it's safe to say that Stevie lost the fight back in 88.

As it turned out though Stevie wasn't quite the dirtbag he presented himself as and was bailed out by his wealthy father when he was busted by the Feds with 5 pounds of magical fungi.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Where is Stevie now? Vp of private equity?

Where is Stevie now? Vp of private equity?
    Last I heard he's living in Durango and still playing music. I ain't judging in any way and he still remains part of my most favorite ski segment ever.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

The question is whether there's really an infinite supply of people willing to put up with the disrespect, low wages and shitty living conditions.

Fuck, I'm priced out of Telluride as well as every other major ski town.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I've been working or around ski towns for a while now. The j1 H2b visa migrants are the backbone of every place. Then, young kids in housing. Then washed up drugged out redneck locals that crawl out of wherever.

It is what it is. Like kevo said. Anyone not making 100k per yr ain't buying anything near anywhere.

I'm sitting in my van down by a river in a tourist town right now.

I've been working or around ski towns for a while now. The j1 H2b visa migrants are the backbone of every place. Then, young kids in housing. Then washed up drugged out redneck locals that crawl out of wherever.

It is what it is. Like kevo said. Anyone not making 100k per yr ain't buying anything near anywhere.

#blessed.

What was once ridiculed by Chris Farleys motivational speaking character on SNL is now a celebrated lifestyle by the young hipster influencers. I strangely never seem to catch what their odd jobs are and other various means of income though from their instagram updates and YouTube vlogs. I'll keep dreaming.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Maybe the #vanlife thing isn't such a fad?
    Its a fad in the sense that it too will not be tenable in ten years once the supply of van lifeable vehicles dries up, or at least, people become priced out of that market too.

possibly if you're making 100k a year off your interest I guess, but even earning 100k a year salaried, with no debt or savings to start, you're still looking at a loooooooong time before you're going to able to be a homeowner anwhere decent in the west.

If you can't make a reasonable amount of money per yr and keep your vehicle/home in good shape you probably should just live in employee housing and drink yourself to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Um, old news.
    not really that old. they used to give a heck of a lot more lip service, and there used to be a heck of a lot less wealth accumulation via legal insider trading, and a heck of a lot less authoritarian laws with bipartisan support. There was a huge shift after 9 11 and there has been another huge shift in the last few years. its just in this election become athing that they want to skip primaries, or only give you one person to choose in the primaries, etc. They used to pretend the representative aspect of our democracy was basically representative, now they'renot even bothering with pretending that they aren't just saying yea, heres your new president we chose you peasants.

but ok yea i get that you feel cynicism is cool or whatever. or you just can't see past 'save the ski bums'

Its a fad in the sense that it too will not be tenable in ten years once the supply of van lifeable vehicles dries up, or at least, people become priced out of that market too.
    Those west coast, urban tent cities you see along the highway exits may just become the next American dream! I don't know, watching the traffic roll by while drinking myself to death doesn't sound that bad to me honestly. I may have depression issues.
    dirtbag, not a dentist