Check Out Our Shop

Tucson Jank Recommendations

Nate Hills vids of trails like Agua Caliente, Bug Springs, La Milagrosa, Incinerator, and Javelina have me jonesing badly for a week out there.
    Looking for local's recommendations on best ways to ride these and any other top choices for serious jank.
    Definitely not above paid shuttling when the option exists and please, no 4hr climbing suck-fests from you hardtail badass types. You know who you are.

Also, dispersed camping site recs would be helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Definitely do the Lemmon Drop, it's probably from Bug Springs right now - Home Grown MTB runs shuttles, but it might only be on the weekend. Haven't ridden Agua Caliente, but it looks pretty awesome too... interesting to hear how it compares to Milagrosa.

I was a big fan of Javelina / Wild Mustang too. The route I did also included Ridgeline and Wild Burro, it ended up being 17 miles and around 2700' of climbing.

The 50-yr trails are also worth riding, but I *highly* recommend avoiding the area on the weekend.... I've never seen so many people and group rides in one place.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I was a big fan of Javelina / Wild Mustang too. The route I did also included Ridgeline and Wild Burro, it ended up being 17 miles and around 2700' of climbing.
    I saw TF had a figure 8 loop recommendation for this ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Red Ridge is another trail that I really want to ride down there, but it's hard to get a conditions update since it's not ridden much.

area 52

Red Ridge got torched in a fire a few years back I think its fairly common to have trees down across it. Looks like it was clear as of September but I'd imagine the winter storms have gotten it pretty snarled by now. The top bit is also likely holding some snow.

Homegrown MTB is a local shuttle outfit and is run by the same folks that run TORCA, the local advocacy group. They run weekly Saturday shuttles on Lemmon, not sure if you can wrangle a private weekday one or not. It also wouldn't be unreasonable to thumb it up the Mt Lemmon highway. There's plenty of traffic heading up and down and it likely wouldn't be too long before a car with a rack or truck stopped for you.

I would be shocked if its rideable now but there's a crew that's been putting lots of work into a big descent on Mount Graham, a neighboring 10,000 foot sky island range about an hour NE of Tucson. 7,000 feet of decent with 3,000 of climbing over 18 miles. Plus you get to drive by the gigantic Vatican owned telescope facility. I've never seen a building that looks more like a Bond villain lair.

Lots of dispersed camping out east of town in the State lands- grab a sticker to be legal. https://azland.my.salesforce-sites.c...ationalpermit/

We spent a night down at Cave Creek State Park- it was something like $15 and they lock the gate at 4pm, which keeps it nice and quiet. There's definitely a tweaker factor that you want to be heads-up about. A couple of great rides north and south on the AZT from there too. Some jank but pretty pedally.

I would imagine that it is simllar on the west side of town, but the new subdivisions are reaching farther and farther out. We had a fun session at the Enchanted Hills, but it's more blue square and less jank.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    I saw TF had a figure 8 loop recommendation for this ride.
    This is a good route, probably the F-8 you mention. https://www.trailforks.com/route/tour-de-tortolitas/. The ending down Wild Mustang to Upper Javalina is chunky and fun. You can also start the ride from the east side of the range on some buff desert singletrack of the Honeybee trails. I've actually done this ride from my campsite at the 50 Year trail system. Riding Honeybee trails doesn't take much time and is a good warmup for the Torts.

On Lemmon I'd ask Torca/shuttle co how high you can get. Green Mtn above Bugs has some tech climbing and descending. Not sure Incinerator will be accessible. I haven't ridden that one. But Green might be. I have had good luck hitch-hiking up the mountain.

Agua Caliente is a fun trail. I didn't find it anywhere near as chunky as Milagrosa. I went all the way to the top. It is probably 75% HAB on the climb up. It's an out and back. There is some real steep stuff at the top that is challenging. The rest is pretty fun/fast. Tons of hikers. I'd go either weekday or even better late afternoon.

50 Year is good fun as people mentioned, especially if you climb up to Upper 50, Cowboy Slickrock, and find the slabs. Lots of fun rock and alternate lines to play on. Agreed it can be super busy on a weekend. You can dispersed camp beyond the TH. The last time I camped there your pal Nate Hills was camping there as well. Saw him a couple times and waved. He only glared back. Guess I was on the wrong brand of bike. Douche.

The one spot not mentioned yet for some fun chunk is Tucson Mtn park, specifically Brown Mtn and Golden Gate. You can connect them into one ride via Prospector or Gates Pass. It's been a while since I rode those. TF probably has route suggestions.

There is tons of good flowy XC trail around too. AZT is awesome especially south of Tucson. That's where the best dispersed camping is. Not a lot otherwise right near town. Redington Road (aka Redneckington Rd) has some in pullouts off the road or better all the way up top.

The AZT from Hwy 82 to Kentucky Camp is newly built and supposed to be really nice. No chunk but nice xc riding.

North of town both 24 Hr of Pueblo and Oracle State Park have some fun riding. Painter Boy at 24HOP is seldom ridden primitive riding that has some chunk and route finding required. Then spin out on the xc trails. You can camp there too with State trust permit.

Closer to Phx you could ride Picketpost AZT out and back, Gold Canyon, SoMo and Hawes in combo with Tucson. Area 52 is mentioned and it is super cool, basically open rock riding. I've ridden a route across it. Might be fun to explore but don't expect actual trails.