Check Out Our Shop
Page 93 of 99 FirstFirst ... 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,325 of 2475
    I dunno, back when places regularly stayed open into May, June, and July (pre-2009) I remember skiing several (4 or more) on different closing days.

One 4th of July I got Donner Ski Ranch, Sugar Bowl, Then Squaw, and Alpine all on the same day and pretty sure I skied several others that closed earlier…

This season most Tahoe spots were kind of staggered.
    I think a few (SB and Heav and DP) closed last weekend. NS was early with the 13/14.
    Not sure when Soda Springs closed.

But definitely in years past AM and KW and Rose didn’t close the same weekend.

FWIW, DSR is running their OG “Open Saturdays and Sundays until the snow is gone” slogan again.
    Wonder how long they’ll go this spring?
    We might have to resuscitate the DSR Mini…

Oh, and I drove by Boreal today and they have really good coverage still…
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

I drove past boreal this am and had the same thought about the good coverage and lack of openness. Seems like in days of yore , they still be entertaining park rats with that Amt of snow

Speaking of which, the snow park at Kingvale was packed at 1 pm today…

^ SB is still open/closing tomorrow

Tahoe '23/'24 - Reserve Now For Best Pricing!!!

Ended up doing the Dicks + Janines + Maggies marathon. Dicks peak was amazing. Probably 8 or so semi compact inches that blended super well with the curst below, resulting in 1600 ft of bottomless wintery powder to the lake. Leaving the trailhead little before 7, I didn't see a soul until I descended to Dicks lake, where 2 single parties and one group of 3 were approaching.

Being solo I think I pushed it a bit too hard on the up and started getting nauseous on the final 1/4 of Dicks. I really struggled with eating enough. Couldn't shake it off for the rest of the tour so my pace dropped a lot afterwards. Dropped Janine's around noon, which was a tad late, snow was getting sticky on anything with a hint of S to it, including the flats; NE was fine but not for long. Maggies S N face at 2.30pm was roller ball central, but I was so tired I didn't really care either way.

Back at the trailhead the quietness from the morning had transformed into an epic shitshow of tourists parking anywhere and everywhere to play in the snow and/or take pictures of Emerald Bay. I had a Tesla double parked behind my car but at least the guy was nearby and showed up immediately when I started honking. Then I got stuck behind a car going 30mph on 89 who did not get my subtle blinker hints to pull over and let the line of cars behind them pass. And to think this should be low season out there

I'd add picture but lost that ability a week or two ago. Looks like I should look into getting the tapatalk app hmm

Glad you found the goods at kirkwood too Ottime. Do you reckon crescent moon would be any good tomorrow or too steep for that little fresh snow?
    Last edited by GKWood; 04-27-2024 at 09:18 PM.

Tahoe '23/'24 - Reserve Now For Best Pricing!!!

DM me if you're interested in a free Mt Rose ticket for closing day tomorrow. I bought one of these SAC tickets and ended up not using it. I think they are transferrable but not 100% sure.
    Edit: claimed
    Last edited by GKWood; 04-27-2024 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dookeyXXX View Post
    I dunno, back when places regularly stayed open into May, June, and July (pre-2009) I remember skiing several (4 or more) on different closing days.

One 4th of July I got Donner Ski Ranch, Sugar Bowl, Then Squaw, and Alpine all on the same day and pretty sure I skied several others that closed earlier…

This season most Tahoe spots were kind of staggered.
    I think a few (SB and Heav and DP) closed last weekend. NS was early with the 13/14.
    Not sure when Soda Springs closed.

But definitely in years past AM and KW and Rose didn’t close the same weekend.

FWIW, DSR is running their OG “Open Saturdays and Sundays until the snow is gone” slogan again.
    Wonder how long they’ll go this spring?
    We might have to resuscitate the DSR Mini…

Oh, and I drove by Boreal today and they have really good coverage still…
    SB closes tomorrow (sunday) I'll be there and have an extra ticket if you want one
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Aye yo!
    Thanks for the SB and Rose ticket offers.
    I’mma be at AM.
    Change for a nickel me, iykyk…

Damn, I forgot this was the last weekend for Mt Rose

I'm heading to Truckee tomorrow

I'd bet Crescent is a go.

I had boot deep plus all the way down One Man Chute. Top to bottom. Not as steep, but not flat.

The snow under the cliff bands at 9500' had the deepest and coldest snow.

It would really depend how much sun got on it yesterday. Thick cloud cover moved in here aren't d 3:40 yesterday and stuck around mostly till 7ish.

We walked the meadow around sunset. So much better than the kid being on the screen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calling it. Vail brought Heavenly to Kw. Noon lift lines?

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Calling it. Vail brought Heavenly to Kw. Noon lift lines?

Can't seem to edit my post in tapatalk, but had the option of editing the quote material. Cool.

We also called it because our battery is dead. I bet things have softened up by now.

We were lapping 10 since 11am when the corrals at 5,6 and 11 were all full. Eagle bowl was soft, but the Wall was still pretty firm. It was groomed last nice and it was mayhem. Loose granular but the grains were variable in size up to about baseball sized. Almost fun to ski, but the top was still a bit rough.

Montes was soft by about 10am. Zach's skied excellent first thing. Groomers off 11 softened a bit by 10am and were money once the lines showed up.

I bet it will be a good afternoon, but not missing that mass of humanity. Surely Vail has enough customers to keep this going a little longer.

Yesterday afternoon skied great as well. It got sticky in the flats, but everything moderately steep was super fun. Forgot how much fun slush bumps can be.

Quote Originally Posted by GKWood View Post
    Ended up doing the Dicks + Janines + Maggies marathon. Dicks peak was amazing. Probably 8 or so semi compact inches that blended super well with the curst below, resulting in 1600 ft of bottomless wintery powder to the lake. Leaving the trailhead little before 7, I didn't see a soul until I descended to Dicks lake, where 2 single parties and one group of 3 were approaching.

Being solo I think I pushed it a bit too hard on the up and started getting nauseous on the final 1/4 of Dicks. I really struggled with eating enough. Couldn't shake it off for the rest of the tour so my pace dropped a lot afterwards. Dropped Janine's around noon, which was a tad late, snow was getting sticky on anything with a hint of S to it, including the flats; NE was fine but not for long. Maggies S N face at 2.30pm was roller ball central, but I was so tired I didn't really care either way.

Back at the trailhead the quietness from the morning had transformed into an epic shitshow of tourists parking anywhere and everywhere to play in the snow and/or take pictures of Emerald Bay. I had a Tesla double parked behind my car but at least the guy was nearby and showed up immediately when I started honking. Then I got stuck behind a car going 30mph on 89 who did not get my subtle blinker hints to pull over and let the line of cars behind them pass. And to think this should be low season out there

I'd add picture but lost that ability a week or two ago. Looks like I should look into getting the tapatalk app hmm

Glad you found the goods at kirkwood too Ottime. Do you reckon crescent moon would be any good tomorrow or too steep for that little fresh snow?
    Let us know how crescent Moon was

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Crescent will probably transition to good corn by midweek if your not in a hurry to muck it up, that said might have been skied post storm already, walked by it several times last week and it has good coverage

anyone got a freebie or two for squalpine to spare?

looking to take my son May 5 for my birfday…..

I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Happy bday.

I don't have freebies but if not come up I have friends and family if you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    No, I'm bitching about The Chutes not being open. Far too often!.
    I was disappointed to say the least that with no explanation why the Chutes were suddenly just closed for the last three weeks of the season. Certainly wasn’t for lack of snow.

This was on Friday. They looked really good. The chairlift gossip I heard, so take this with a grain of salt, was that if somebody gets hurt in the Chutes it takes a minimum of three patrollers, sometimes four to package someone up and get them out of there. Due to staffing shortages, that would leave the rest of Rose literally uncovered if another accident were to occur.

Due to low snowfall early in the season the Chutes didn’t open until February and they closed early. So Roses best terrain, which they hype up and market heavily was open for 30+(?) as they are closed on anything less than perfect weather.

Bummer, but I went ahead and renewed my Rose pass last night before the prices went up.

Last edited by Eastern Sierra Skier; 05-08-2024 at 12:17 AM.

I have four half offs if you want them.

Sadly they cannot be combined to make two freebies...

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    anyone got a freebie or two for squalpine to spare?

looking to take my son May 5 for my birfday…..
    I have 4 half-offs if you want em.

Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Have you checked Craig's List for tix Mike? I see some in the SC mountains for $40. That's cheaper than 1/2 price I would think.

OTOH, about a decade ago, I thought the $39 window price to ski from 8-2 with hot tub use until 4, was a little too steep for me.

Speaking of patrollers, from the chair we watched someone decide the ski the firm bumps off the side of the Wall groomer and catch an edge. They fell, lost both skis and began to slide. Around the third bump they just began to rag doll. It was crazy seeing their body go limp, almost like they were acting.

Eventually another skier was able to get over to them and stop their fall. Patrol showed up and started to attend to them. By the time we unloaded, the sled was being prepared to go down to them.

No idea the age or condition of the skier, but seriously nuts seeing a body go limp like that. My kid and I honestly thought he must have been faking it.

Sucks that Rose does not have the patrol to keep their terrain open. I always thought the Chutes changed that place from a fun enough local ski hill to a pretty sweet local ski hill. It would be hard to live in Reno/ Carson and not have a pass there

Mammoth is closing Memorial Day this year due to lift construction. So for you spring and summer skiers, get down there while it's still open.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Speaking of patrollers...
    Rose patrol pulled a pussy move on *last day, last chairs* yesterday.
    They closed off one side of offload, just before 4, where peeps usually congregate to throw snowballs. And this year snow was soft ferkrisake!
    And to ESS's point, it looked liked plenty of 'trollers standing around up there.
    Also meant couldn't access Tahoe Vista area...but after me standing around whining for a bit, one 'troller let me past the closure
    So missed out on snowballing, but got last run down all alone
    (It had been a crowded day)

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Crescent will probably transition to good corn by midweek if your not in a hurry to muck it up, that said might have been skied post storm already, walked by it several times last week and it has good coverage
    Crescent and Hidden both got skied on Saturday. Leaving around 2-2:30 another party of 3 was heading that way to check it out as well.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Lots of 'trollers have regular seasonal summer jobs with a hard start date as well (river, fire or forest work) so extended snow season means they are gone regardless.

Patrol and other (lifties) staffing shortages are a resort wide problem, not just a Rose problem…

Also, the number of low level skiers and riders visiting Tahoe has definitely increased since 2020.
    I saw so many folks at AM yesterday skiing and riding terrain waaaay above their skill level.
    I’m talking people wedging down High T and others falling leafing the Pali slopes.
    Patrol has to contend with those jacknuggets.
    Those are the folks we should be flogging, not patrol, who do an amazing job with the resources they are given.

Rod, I ended up making the trek to Lunday Canyon instead (Dore cliffs + Dogleg) so no idea about Crescent. Found some powder on N facing aspects above ~10.5k and, and great corn below ~10k and solar aspects.

I share the disappointment about Rose chutes never opening lately. I was finally gonna check it out this spring and got a SAC ticket but with the chutes not opening it just didn't feel worth the trek. Maybe next year...