Check Out Our Shop
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    NGD! Travel guitar for camping and neglect: Enya "Nova Go" acoustic, on sale at Amazon for $149. (White version is $127.)
    https://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Begi...d00d3589168ed0

Claimed to be carbon fiber, I doubt it is, but it's some sort of composite plastic material. There's no wood in or on it, as best I can tell. Sounds better than expected. Came with a nice bag and usual strings, strap, etc.

It's a little smaller than a Les Paul, and a little thicker body. Pic for scale next to an Epiphone LP and a Yamaha dreadnought.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Looks like a Tim Henson Ibanez^^^

How do start learning?

Youtube!

I still can’t play guitar, but when I was trying to learn I liked the Yousician app much more than YouTube. Found getting some level of feedback beneficial.

Anyone have any recs for portable amps to take on a road trip? Does not need to be loud. Something that has rechargeable batteries would be awesome. Would like something to jam out on in camp with good sound quality either with a solid body tele, or with a hybrid carbon and wood klos, and would also kind of like something tiny to put on a belt loop and play m klos through while strolling.

Speaking of which, in terms of carbon travel guitars, i can't recommend the klos enough. The full carbon sounds and plays ok, and is obviously near indestructible in terms of temp and moisture. They have videos of pouring boiling water inside the body of one, but the one with wood bridge, fretboard, and hybrid wood carbon neck, with carbon body, still is rock solid for any sort of normal use temp and moisture changes, and honestly plays and sounds fantastic. Not as loud as a dreadnaught, but really sweet sounding. Infinitely more playable and soulful sounding than the full graphite Rainsong I used to own. Everyone remarks about the sound being nice, but more so about the playability feeling more like an electric than any other acoustic. Not sure why.

It is also, wonderfully light. I wanted a road trip guitar to play in camp, but I didn't expect that it being so light makes it easy to walk with on gentle hiking trails, and whenever I'm camping out, now a sunrise and sunset stroll picking out some peaceful ditties has become a habit. Often when i'm sleeping in doors as well. I detest people playing music through speakers outdoors, and was a bit anxious to annoy anyone, but people seem to love encountering someone just walking down a trail playing and really the fact its not a super loud guitar makes it pretty unobtrusive.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    How do start learning?
    Rocksmith man, rocksmith. Get an xbox one or use a decent laptop and download rocksmith 2014, download the songs from the OG rocksmith and other downloadable songs before it gets delisted.

Theres rocksmith +, which is a subscription service but its poorly reviewed, everyone likes rocksmith 2014 the best.

You'll learn some bad habits without lessons, but really, you'll learn the most songs the quickest with the highest fun to stress ratio possible and bad habits can be unlearned.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Anyone have any recs for portable amps to take on a road trip? Does not need to be loud. Something that has rechargeable batteries would be awesome. Would like something to jam out on in camp with good sound quality either with a solid body tele, or with a hybrid carbon and wood klos, and would also kind of like something tiny to put on a belt loop and play m klos through while strolling.
    I have a little Boss Katana Mini that I think sounds amazing for such a tiny and inexpensive battery powered amp. That said, not sure what tones you're looking for. IMO it sounds best in the highest gain mode for a Marshall 800-ish kind of sound. It might not be the best choice if you're looking more for clean tones or lighter distortion (it has those channels, I don't really play them much but I don't find them super impressive either).

Show Us Yer Guitar Quiver

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    How do start learning?
    Truefire app. Walmart has a coupon for a year membership for $100. It’s pretty darn good.

There’s also a bunch of manufacturer’s websites that have codes for the first 3 months free. Can’t remember which ones. Martin maybe?
    Last edited by EWG; 03-04-2024 at 08:21 PM.

Speaking of which, in terms of carbon travel guitars, i can't recommend the klos enough. The full carbon sounds and plays ok, and is obviously near indestructible in terms of temp and moisture. They have videos of pouring boiling water inside the body of one, but the one with wood bridge, fretboard, and hybrid wood carbon neck, with carbon body, still is rock solid for any sort of normal use temp and moisture changes, and honestly plays and sounds fantastic. Not as loud as a dreadnaught, but really sweet sounding. Infinitely more playable and soulful sounding than the full graphite Rainsong I used to own. Everyone remarks about the sound being nice, but more so about the playability feeling more like an electric than any other acoustic. Not sure why.

It is also, wonderfully light. I wanted a road trip guitar to play in camp, but I didn't expect that it being so light makes it easy to walk with on gentle hiking trails, and whenever I'm camping out, now a sunrise and sunset stroll picking out some peaceful ditties has become a habit. Often when i'm sleeping in doors as well. I detest people playing music through speakers outdoors, and was a bit anxious to annoy anyone, but people seem to love encountering someone just walking down a trail playing and really the fact its not a super loud guitar makes it pretty unobtrusive.
    Spark Go portable amp. Nothing else is close. I’ve had a bunch and that one is my fav by far. Rechargable, fully in the spark eco system, you can get tons of sounds on it with the amp, will emulate heads and pedals, electric and acoustic, tiny, fairly loud, $125 or so on sale. Got it with me in Jackson Hole right now.

I have a travel electric and acoustic, both by Traveler, but I’m super interested in carbon ones. Good to hear good stuff about the Klos.
    Last edited by EWG; 03-04-2024 at 10:39 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1709604623.821811.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	4893031971 or so p bass

The VOX mini go 3 sounds pretty good. I have it hidden under a side table in the living room. I use it to noodle on when a I don’t want to go into the cave and turn on a real amp. Funny thing is I’d say the VOX simulations are the worst where as the fender OD and high gain (Marshall - double rec) simulations are pretty good. Never used it as a portable, but it was designed to be a busker’s amp. All super small amps suck with single coils or hollow bodies.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by half-fast View Post

Name:	Image1709604623.821811.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	4893031971 or so p bass
    Who modded the bridge pickup?

Quote Originally Posted by berko View Post
    Who modded the bridge pickup?
    I had it done in the ‘80s. Replaced the original pickups too. The windings were rusty. They’re active now. Also had the strings go over the bridge and through the body. Sounds way better.

Bonus points cus that ones adorable.

Thanks for the suggestions. I honestly hate shopping for just about anything. I get so bored with comparing specs and just see something shiny and wander off.

Thats a nice ol P bass. Rosewood fretboard? Neck too? I've been tempted to get something vintage recently, but are 60 year old electronics worth it? are these instruments worth the price without the original electronics? Like isn't that most of the reason certain years are valued over others etc? I backed out of a bid on a really sweet looking super axe after seeing it didn't have the original electronics or built in reverb.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Spark Go portable amp.

^^^THIS.^^^
    Gravity. It's the law.

Bonus points cus that ones adorable.

Thanks for the suggestions. I honestly hate shopping for just about anything. I get so bored with comparing specs and just see something shiny and wander off.

Thats a nice ol P bass. Rosewood fretboard? Neck too? I've been tempted to get something vintage recently, but are 60 year old electronics worth it? are these instruments worth the price without the original electronics? Like isn't that most of the reason certain years are valued over others etc? I backed out of a bid on a really sweet looking super axe after seeing it didn't have the original electronics or built in reverb.
    Rosewood fretboard, maple neck. I'm sure I killed some of the value by modding it, but I wanted it to play better, and I probably won't ever sell it

I’m selling off a nice epiphone Les Paul and a Fender Jag to pay for these two beauties I recently added.

half-fast, I've got a similar P bass. Mines a 73 I think. Heavy AF. Really thick, round neck. Plays great with nice sustain.

Mine has active EMG pickups which I'd like to replace with some Fender pickups. Control knobs were missing when I got it, the neck plate isn't original, also looks like someone put a coat of clear lacquer over some of the worn spots on the body somewhere along the line. I took it to a shop to get it checked out before I bought it and the guy at the shop said it was legit, just had been cannibalized over the years.

I play it through a giant Trace Elliot amp and 4x10 cabinet from the 90's.

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 1.27.24 PM.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	380.7 KB 
ID:	489822
    the one time I want a pic to upload sideways...

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    I’m selling off a nice epiphone Les Paul and a Fender Jag to pay for these two beauties I recently added.
    Ooh. Rickenbacker!
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

This is tempting me, a lot. Gretsch G2215-P90 streamliner -- P90 in the neck, filtertron of some sort in the bridge. $199 -- half off -- for the "single barrel stain" finish only. Youtube reviews make it look very very nice.
    https://www.adorama.com/gr2806700593...dium=affiliate

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    This is tempting me, a lot. Gretsch G2215-P90 streamliner -- P90 in the neck, filtertron of some sort in the bridge. $199 -- half off -- for the "single barrel stain" finish only. Youtube reviews make it look very very nice.
    https://www.adorama.com/gr2806700593...dium=affiliate
    Wow that’s very cheap. Cheaper than used probably. P90s are fun.

Quote Originally Posted by chicken feathers View Post
    half-fast, I've got a similar P bass. Mines a 73 I think. Heavy AF. Really thick, round neck. Plays great with nice sustain.

Mine has active EMG pickups which I'd like to replace with some Fender pickups. Control knobs were missing when I got it, the neck plate isn't original, also looks like someone put a coat of clear lacquer over some of the worn spots on the body somewhere along the line. I took it to a shop to get it checked out before I bought it and the guy at the shop said it was legit, just had been cannibalized over the years.

I play it through a giant Trace Elliot amp and 4x10 cabinet from the 90's.

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 1.27.24 PM.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	380.7 KB 
ID:	489822
    the one time I want a pic to upload sideways...
    That’s a beauty. I bought mine in 1978 at the house of guitars in Rochester ny for $140. No case. I brought it to my local shop and they were sure there had to be something wrong with it, broken truss rod or something, but it was perfect. It had the chrome pickup cover and bridge cover. I still have them somewhere as well as the original pickups. Adding the j bass bridge pickup added some punch to the sound. And the strings through the body adds great sustain and more low end.

Quote Originally Posted by half-fast View Post
    Rosewood fretboard, maple neck. I'm sure I killed some of the value by modding it, but I wanted it to play better, and I probably won't ever sell it
    Sweet, yea I reallywonder how many 50s and 60s axes will have functional original electronics in the decades to come. It seems a lot to expect. 80 year old electronics built by companies trying to pinch pennies. Recently got basically the same bass, except new American Professional II, and in the metalic blue color, Same maple neck, rosewood fretboard.

I got two Fender FMT HH teles recently too.https://www.fender.com/en-US/electri...edium=referral They're the same thing, just different color. Think is, i bought one, shipping got delayed, and I got an email making it soundlike there was going to be damage sustained during shipping, so i expected to return that one anyways, so ordered another. They both showed up undamaged, and play great, so I kept them both. Its a made in indonesia, but Fender branded tele that goes for around $700 new. Whats cool about them is they're really thin and light, and also, arch top, and have a set net with a really sweet ergonomic unfenderlike shoulder, so in many ways, super playable. The pickups are great too, i think a pearly gates humbucker and something else, they scream.

Down sides are they don't have much sustain, is about it. Maybe aren't great superon the super low end of tone. other than that they shred for what is really a pricepoint of the higher end of a budget guitar. Any kid should be super stoked on one as a first guitar, but even someone with far more expensive guitars will probably still find themselves reaching for one ofthese if they had one.

They both look great too. I'll get a picture of the whole family up sometime.

I do wish Fender made something similar that is made in the usa. Youc an get a usa made tele, but it won't be arch top or have the great set neck and shoulder. i do feel ike the arch top changs playability some, not just aesthetics.