Check Out Our Shop
Page 82 of 83 FirstFirst ... 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,050 of 2070
    Had the same thought. That first landing pad between cliff bands is fairly narrow. Super high consequence and took some serious balls to go for it.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

The aggressive turn then a speed check at 1:44 before the double take-off doesn't seem like much compared to the crazy double, but that stands out to me. My knees would be shaking uncontrollably doing that turn above that exposure, and god help him if there was a buried rock right there.

Freeride World Tour

Finally got around to watching. The series of guys barely holding on after the top jib cliff was terrifying, you don’t want to fall there. I agree with the rankings Gougen and Hitzig are both beasts. Pollard seems to have found himself a new job, best commentator I’ve ever heard.

And the camera work was terrible. I kept yelling at the TV for a wide angle shot to show more of the face.

Goguens run was underscored. What he did on that lower double showed imagination, incredible balls, pinpoint control and the strength of an ox to pull it off. Not sure anyone else in the field could have pulled it off

The show was unreal in person, so impressive!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Why the hell were the ski women relegated to running the Petit Bec?

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    The aggressive turn then a speed check at 1:44 before the double take-off doesn't seem like much compared to the crazy double, but that stands out to me. My knees would be shaking uncontrollably doing that turn above that exposure, and god help him if there was a buried rock right there.
    And imagine doing it based only on a visual inspection (I believe they only inspect from below/across from the face? They don't actually get on the face till the comp run right). Insanely impressive when you see the POV angle.

Quote Originally Posted by BiggC View Post
    The patriarchy

Finally finished watching the men's ski last night. What a comp.

Good to see Erin Sauve stomping sizable features in snowboard women. Raise that bar.

I love watching Hedvig ski, just so aggressive. Openly competitive badass. My memories not the best because I thought or assumed she'd won the title before. Awesome run and post run interview.

I couldn't avoid chatter and seeing bits and pieces of Marcus Goguens double on social media before watching the replay. Still, when he came into it and I realized this was it I wad yelling Holy fuck. The precision with speed, takeoff point, barely hitting the touchdown pad, strength, everything, just amazing.

The Freeride Guide podcast talks about why the women were on the Petite Bec. It's worth listening to

Edit: Yeah hire Andrew as a commentator. He's got great perspective, explains things well, and isnt trying to win an award for most excited sound bite

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    And imagine doing it based only on a visual inspection (I believe they only inspect from below/across from the face? They don't actually get on the face till the comp run right). Insanely impressive when you see the POV angle.
    Pollard said many times that the men went to the top of the Bec the day before the comp. Upon seeing how steep it is up top many competitors changed their line plan.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by bobinch View Post
    Goguens run was underscored. What he did on that lower double showed imagination, incredible balls, pinpoint control and the strength of an ox to pull it off. Not sure anyone else in the field could have pulled it off
    It's hard to say the winner is underscored, since all the scores are in relation to each other. If there was already a 96 on the board, his score would have been higher, assuming his was still the best run.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    It's hard to say the winner is underscored, since all the scores are in relation to each other. If there was already a 96 on the board, his score would have been higher, assuming his was still the best run.
    It was the outstanding run by some margin IMO. Finn Billous’s run was exceptional but he does not have the fall line strength of Goguen, and the only other competitor that does, Max Hitzig, put in a strong run, but clearly within himself in order to secure the comp compared to his previous outrageous performances.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Pollard said many times that the men went to the top of the Bec the day before the comp. Upon seeing how steep it is up top many competitors changed their line plan.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    I remember Pollard talking about the entry line both Finny and Ben Richards took, saying (paraphrasing) "you come over that edge and you're in the void - it's so steep there"

It was the outstanding run by some margin IMO. Finn Billous’s run was exceptional but he does not have the fall line strength of Goguen, and the only other competitor that does, Max Hitzig, put in a strong run, but clearly within himself in order to secure the comp compared to his previous outrageous performances.
    I agree with that. But I still think his 98 score in Georgia was a superior run. His 3 in the middle of Verbier had a substantial bobble and the overall run had less fluidity. It was all about the double at the bottom. The Georgia run started strong, got stronger throughout and ended with the transfer where he went 5 times farther than everyone else at that point. I was already jumping out of my seat before the huge transfer and then laughing in disbelief along with the announcers during and after (because there was that much airtime). There was never a portion of the run to relax, which just made it much more exciting and inspiring to watch. The verbier run, regardless of how consequential didn't build into a crescendo leading into the double the way his Georgia run did.

They definitely need to return to that Georgia venue. It was easily the most entertaining all season.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Challenger stop #2 going down in my backyard this week! Silverton ISFA I'll be working so it's unlikely I will make it up, but I hope that it goes well! Had about ~12-16" of fresh in the last few days so conditions should be good for the competitors!

A comp at Silverton sounds awesome! Private mountain could be a great way for the mountain/business to continue to exist in a similar fashion.

For those who aren't regulars to Blister podcast this was the CB Challenger wrap up. Good listen before the Silverton comp.

https://blisterreview.com/podcasts/b...-beyond-ep-301

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Do they have a venue map out for Silverton?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    I agree with that. But I still think his 98 score in Georgia was a superior run. His 3 in the middle of Verbier had a substantial bobble and the overall run had less fluidity. It was all about the double at the bottom. The Georgia run started strong, got stronger throughout and ended with the transfer where he went 5 times farther than everyone else at that point. I was already jumping out of my seat before the huge transfer and then laughing in disbelief along with the announcers during and after (because there was that much airtime). There was never a portion of the run to relax, which just made it much more exciting and inspiring to watch. The verbier run, regardless of how consequential didn't build into a crescendo leading into the double the way his Georgia run did.
    Georgia had much better snow conditions and was an easier venue. Until you’ve skied the Bec you cannot imagine how steep and intimidating it is. That was the move of the season by a distance

For posterity...

Ski Men starting at 15:07, last three starting at 18:04
    The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.

Georgia had much better snow conditions and was an easier venue. Until you’ve skied the Bec you cannot imagine how steep and intimidating it is. That was the move of the season by a distance
    I agree it was the move of the season. Never said anything otherwise. But other than the double the run wasn't nearly as eye popping as his Georgia run or other competitors' upper half of Verbier. His overall run in Georgia was better than his overall run in Verbier. Yes the conditions were better in Georgia. Yes the Bec is steeper. His Georgia run was simply better and scored better.

Quote Originally Posted by BiggC View Post
    I wondered the same thing. And in the past if it was suggested women have an 'easier' venue they were upset about it. So all I can come up with is that they were offered it by Lolo/Nicholas and agreed to or actually chose it as a group.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Did you guys go up and watch live? It really is almost impossible to imagine how big and gnarly the Bec is without seeing it in person. So glad I got to do it, and didn't realize they hadn't run from the top since I was there for Thing #2 in 2018!

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Silverton Challenger event livestream.
    Snowboard men is on now.

https://freeskier.com/stories/live-s...erton-colorado