Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by huckasoreass View Post
    I'm guessing this is just a valley newspaper doing some hasty reporting and misunderstanding someone explaining that the bombs "failed to release the snowpack" rather than "failed to detonate." The patrollers on that route may have thrown a round that didn't fire but the chances of throwing multiple duds is very unlikely.
    my understanding was that this was the fourth thrown, a line of four from Headwall Face toward Hogsback, the standard procedure there.

thoughts for Andrew and remembering his good work for all of us on the mountain.

Just terrible news. My condolences to his family. Andrew, thanks for all of your hard work over the years. I hope you're ripping overhead blower in the sky.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

goddammit. RIP.
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.

Really sad to hear, vibes to the family and patrol.

Quote Originally Posted by choc View Post
    There was no dud. A bomb released the avalanche. Andrew was standing where he should have been and in a freak class four avalanche the safe spot was not safe.

One of the best. I'll miss you buddy.
    Thanks for sharing this. That's why I said that SacBee reported it and not "he was doing X and Y." I know the reporters can't comprehend the technical protocols etc.

I'm sorry for your loss.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

RIP.

Powder turns for eternity...
    An Evolutionary Rider

www.PeaksforPeace.com

Condolences given by the local TV late night news team here in LA, too.

RIP

Condolences to Mr. Entin's family and friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Can some one please explain to me what the f*** the second comment on the sacbee article has to do with any of this. Kinda pisses me off.
    Others must have felt similarly - the comment is gone.

difficult news to hear. ++vibes++ to his fam. Sad.

+++vibes+++ out to all that knew him and the Tahoe/Squaw family... I heard the first half of the news early and kept my hopes up. Heard second hand tonight that it had gotten worse... Definitely caught me off guard...

I'll be taking a few extra moments of silence next time I'm up in the hills....
    Last edited by NoKnees; 03-04-2009 at 01:00 AM. Reason: I'm a dork..

RIP Mr. Entin. We will make some turns on the hill for you in the morning.
    # # #

"...You must be a big skier then." I said "no, I'm a petite size 2." Awkward silence.... - Parvo

Heard Hugh lost a testy in the tram line at Kitzbühel via altercation with the local monoboard team circa '93. Has been bitter about game theory since.- Klauss

Very sorry to hear this. So grateful for what these guys do, so hard to accept that this can happen. I am humbled today by this terrible tragedy. Condolences to Mr. Entins Family and the Squaw community.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Sucks. RIP man.

doesn't get much worse than this. I didn't know him, but I feel like I owe him everything. RIP Mr. Entin

Bless Andrew, family, and friends. Like all patrollers - putting it on the line everyday for the rest of us to enjoy..... this blows....

RIP indeed.

Going to Alpine tomorrow; think I'll be in bounds beeping.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

This is very sad, condolences to the whole squaw family. Has anyone seen any report by Squaw patrol or the Sierra Avi center that talks in more detail about the avalanche? I am wondering if it went in the new storm snow sliding on the March 1-2 crust, or stepped down to the January crust, like SAC said might happen. Hard to believe that 8-9' crowns were all new storm snow, but maybe with the wind it could have been.

Harpo, good question. I suspect we will be hearing more shortly.

thoughts and prayers to andrew's family and friends....and to the folks on duty today working the snow that killed their partner. heavy stuff.
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

thoughts and prayers....to those in the know...please put up a note if anything (financial or otherwise) can be done for his family.

I hate seeing these threads. RIP / ++++VIBES++++ to his family.
    Be safe out there, even in bounds.
    Ελευθερία ή θάνατος
    "Great moments are born from great opportunity."

wow really hard news to swallow.
    condolences to all Andrew's family & friends and to the Squaw Valley ski patrol. as a pro patroller who has been through this before, I know how you are feeling.
    RIP Andrew from all ski patrolling brethren.
    "if it's called tourist season, why can't we just shoot them?"

RIP

Thanks to all the red coats out there that step up to the plate to protect our raggedy asses. In and out of bounds. You'll never really know just how much I appreciate your hard work and risk taking, seriously.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Such sad news. We all know we take risks out there, but its still hard to swallow when this happens. It should be pretty subdued wearing a red jacket around Tahoe this weekend.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Rest in Peace