Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    thoughts coming in from whistler, was thinking about how much we take patrol for granted the other aft waiting for Peak to crack open....condolences to all who knew him.

Truly a sad tragedy. Thoughts and prayers to all involved
    Feeling anxious, a little paranoid.

Ugh...like a punch in thu gut, but worse...thanks for the years of making my squaw days enjoyable...condolencences to family and SVSP.

Rest in peace, Andrew. My condolences to those who were close to him, and my thoughts to the Squaw community.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Just breaks my heart to hear this.
    Dude makes an underpaid living saving others and dies on the job.

So sorry to hear about that. Condolences to the family and friends.
    Living vicariously through myself.

SacBee reporting that Andrew was caught during a ski cut

http://www.sacbee.com/ourregion/stor...Our%2520Region

Ski patrol member killed in Squaw Valley avalanche
    stano@sacbee.com
    Published Tuesday, Mar. 03, 2009

A 41-year-old ski patrol member from Squaw Valley died Tuesday after being caught in an avalanche during routine duties, Placer County Sheriff's Department officials said.

Andrew Entin died in Renown Regional Medical Center in Reno, where he was rushed after being caught in the avalanche in Squaw Valley's Head Wall area, said Lt. Jeff Ausnow. He was identified late Tuesday by the Medical Examiner's Office in Washoe County.

Entin was out with a partner Tuesday morning trying to induce controlled avalanches, Ausnow said. They were running pre-determined routes around the mountain and launching explosive devices designed to trigger safe snow breaks, he said.

When some of the explosive devices failed to detonate, Entin and his partner performed a "ski cutting" maneuver where they skied across the avalanche-prone area trying to trigger an avalanche, Ausnow said. The maneuver is designed to trigger an avalanche as safely as possible so that in the event it does occur, one is not caught off guard, according to avalanche.org, a Web site dedicated to avalanche study and prevention.

During the ski cut, a large patch of snow broke above Entin and carried him into a grove of trees, Ausnow said. According to preliminary investigations, Entin died of blunt force trauma, Ausnow said.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

RIP

Condolences to family, friends and squaw patrol.

RIP. My condolences to all involved. My respect to all patrollers everywhere.

Being a Mammoth skier, I know that memories of fallen patrollers do not fade.

Wow, just terrible. Like splat said, guy dedicates his life to helping and keeping others safe... and this happens.

+++Vibes+++ to all that knew him.
    "Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."

My Flickr Photostream

First of all, class act by Squaw to send the press release. My peeps tell me Andrew was on Hogsback and the Headwall face ripped and wrapped around to Hogsback.

Can some one please explain to me what the fuck the second comment on the sacbee article has to do with any of this. Kinda pisses me off.

Sad day up here. They should give those guys the day off tomorrow. 6-8' crown after all the work done in that area this year!!?? Super sad.

condolences to family and friends.

my thoughts also go out to friends who by now have heard this news, are currently trying to wind down their nights, get their little ones to sleep, and prepare for their early wake-up to start their own rounds of snow safety tomorrow....

squaw valley usa international mountain resort
    You mean the comment about the failed explosive and having to ski cut.....Lame. This was a route the guy has done for years. This sounds like a fluke deal. The wind was so gnarly last night it took down a huge tree under the Resort chair. It must have loaded the hell out of hogsback and the face. Enough for an 8 foot fracture with only 12 inches on the lower mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by obscure reference View Post
    You mean the comment about the failed explosive and having to ski cut.....Lame. This was a route the guy has done for years. This sounds like a fluke deal. The wind was so gnarly last night it took down a huge tree under the Resort chair. It must have loaded the hell out of hogsback and the face. Enough for an 8 foot fracture with only 12 inches on the lower mountain.
    No the "user comment" below the article that you have to click on to see.

Yeah, inappropriate. That's par for the course in the comments to articles about ski/climbing/outdoorsy-related fatalities though. The comments section on SFGate to various articles is often more atrocious and insensitive than that. You just have to ignore them the best you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Sad sad. Condolences to Andrew's family and friends and Squaw Valley...

++++vibes++++

RIP
    Pay the man that pays me

http://www.ever-ware.com/
    http://pmgear.com/
    http://freeridesystems.bigcartel.com/

lurking with a bag o dicks for you

If you are talking about the racial comment, it is totally inappropriate. It makes one want to be racist.

Sad to hear. Condolences to all around him.

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    Just heard - unbelievably sad. Vibes to family and friends. Damn.

Enjoy endless powder days in heaven.

Dear Andrew,
    Thank you for doing your job so well.
    Sorry your time came so soon
    I hope you are free from pain and in a safe place
    forever rewarded for all the good you did for others
    A hui hou kakou, malama pono

Quote Originally Posted by obscure reference View Post
    I'm guessing this is just a valley newspaper doing some hasty reporting and misunderstanding someone explaining that the bombs "failed to release the snowpack" rather than "failed to detonate." The patrollers on that route may have thrown a round that didn't fire but the chances of throwing multiple duds is very unlikely.
    or don't

There was no dud. A bomb released the avalanche. Andrew was standing where he should have been and in a freak class four avalanche the safe spot was not safe.

One of the best. I'll miss you buddy.