Check Out Our Shop

Big Baskets on Scott Racing Poles

The last year i was on pro form I bought a grip of Scott SL/GS racing poles super cheap (~$15), it was the first year they switched from neon green to red/white/blue. I break 1-2 a year so it seemed like a good investment.

Now that I go backcountry a bit those little baskets are just killing me. Anyone tried to put big baskets on racing poles? Those poles dont have screw on baskets or anything- they dont really seem to intend replaceability.

Hints? Special type of baskets?
    thx

its real easy you just...... SEARCH!

Easy to do, I have been doing this same thing for a long time.
    Step 1. Buy Scott Pow baskets
    Step 2. Get hammer and pliers
    Step 3. Loosely grip pole with pliers right above the basket
    Step 4. Hit pliers with hammer (may take a couple of hard hits)
    Step 5. Pick up race basket off the floor
    Step 6. Hammer powder basket on
    Step 7. Repeat on other pole

Or, have the shop you buy the powder baskets from replace the baskets.
    Thanks Shane

/\/\/\

What he said. Easy to do. Only downside is that the Scott pow basked are curved and therefore if you stick you pole into the snow, then sometimes "bounce" back up and fall over. Only a problem when you are at the bottom taking your gear off.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

I bought the scott pow baskets last year, and used them at Silverton. First run one basket snap in half and gets blown off into oblivion. Next run, the same thing happens to the other basket. Granted it was cold, but I still think the scott powder baskets are worthless.

Save yourself the disappointment and get the Black Diamond "Deep powder" baskets http://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-.../dp/B0012V8UBW (not sure if that link will work). They fit perfectly on the scott metal retainer clip. All you gotta do is work the plastic part of the old ones off and press the BD ones over the metal. No hammer required! They are $$$$$$.

look here first, then post real question.

thanks for the info! I was afraid smacking it off with a hammer would break the little clip at bottom.

Hate to bring back an older thread but here goes.
    I have older (90's?) scott wc poles and this weekend I completely blew the basket off one of them, ring and all.
    Was thinking of picking up scott or bd basketts to replace but will not having that assembly leave me dead in the water w/ that one pole?
    Right now I'm looking at just picking up a pair of basketts and kludging something together but any thoughts are welcome.
    Checked out the other thread as well but most posters actually still have the ring on the pole.

i had the exact same problem as North in this thread w/ brand new scott baskets blowing up after 2 days use. they suck but come complete w/ a new retaining ring. What i would do is simultaneously buy a pair of the scott and BD powder baskets. Slap on the scotts 1st so you'll be set the metal ring you lost because you'll need it to attach BD baskets a few days later when the scotts fail. s/b ~$5 for either set at rei or wherever you get gear.

I have been wrapping a thinnish strip of duct tape around the pole under my baskets. It keeps shit on and is there if i ever need a little.

Wrapping a little duct tape above where the basket will seat would help you if you need to put some other (presumably bigger inside diameter) basket. When I last changed to the Scott powder baskets, I used a cool tool at a local shop to knock off the smaller ones. It works like the pliers suggestion, only cleaner and easier. We took a heat gun to the big baskets and flattened them out before I mounted them. Now they don't have the bounce back problem I described above. I have some BD 3/4 baskets around. Maybe I'll try dissecting the old small baskets and using the alu ring as a seat for the BDs. I broke a pair of Scotts last year on about my 3rd day. Hooked one on a tree on a powder day and suddenly noticed much lighter swing weight. Amazingly, Scott replaced them under warrantee??? I didn't even ask, the shop owner suggested it when I mentioned my mishap. Great service. I should be able to pick up the replacements in a week or two.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

That's what I ended up using. Hammered the basket off a REALLY old scott pole I never use, used that clamp above and the ring from the old pole under the basket.
    It looks like shit, but it's not fashion show.