Check Out Our Shop

Joe Klein remembers Hunter Thompson

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/18/bo...w/Klein-t.html

"On July 3, Hunter Thompson joined us. Much of what ensued that holiday weekend is lost in the mists of history and a fog of controlled substances. There were extensive conversations about the viability of renting a truck, filling it with rats and dumping them on the White House lawn. There was also an effort to remove all the Andy Williams songs from the Kennedy jukebox and replace them with Otis Redding. "

that was an entertaining read. book critics love to go over the top though: "cascading skeins of hyperbolic invective"
    slopstyle crosscarver junior

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/18/bo...w/Klein-t.html

"On July 3, Hunter Thompson joined us. Much of what ensued that holiday weekend is lost in the mists of history and a fog of controlled substances. There were extensive conversations about the viability of renting a truck, filling it with rats and dumping them on the White House lawn. There was also an effort to remove all the Andy Williams songs from the Kennedy jukebox and replace them with Otis Redding. "
    "Old age is a difficult concept for a perpetual adolescent."

Can you relate?

I've been picking through The Great Shark Hunt, and last night read this piece about 'Hashbury' and the Hippies. Originally published May 14th, 1967 in The New York Times.

It's available here...

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...of-the-hippies

And here (text only, browser reader view helps)...

https://londonflowscreedinfo.wordpre...es-hst-1967-2/

And here, if you have a Times Subscription...

https://www.nytimes.com/1967/05/14/a...ry-is-the.html

Pretty interesting read, some almost 60 years on. And therein is mentioned Emmet Grogan, which led me to this, which is also interesting, and quite entertaining...

The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.

Emmet Grogan wrote a really good book about his life called Ringolevio: A life played for keeps. He was an incredible guy and it's a really good book. There are some really crazy parallels between Grogan and Jim Carroll, I've always meant to look into that, but Ringolevio stands on its own.

edit: Ha, if you google "Jim Carroll Emmet Grogan parallels" the first result is me, in a thread on here, in 2008. And there's not much else. I guess I'm the only one who noticed it.

I had The Great shark hunt, Fear & loathing in las vegas, Fear & loathing on the campagin trail and Hells angels, I gave them all to my financial consultant the last time i got married, we would ski/ get drunk and riff quotes of of each other
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I gave them all to my financial consultant the last time i got married
    Sentences like this are why I keep coming back to this weird little corner of the internet.
    People here are typically assholes (it's part of the charm) - dan_pdx

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Emmet Grogan wrote a really good book about his life called Ringolevio: A life played for keeps. He was an incredible guy and it's a really good book. There are some really crazy parallels between Grogan and Jim Carroll, I've always meant to look into that, but Ringolevio stands on its own.
    It's the book recommendations for me. (The library has it - yay!)

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    Sentences like this are why I keep coming back to this weird little corner of the internet.
    Remember that Normal is just a setting on the dryer

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    Remember that Normal is just a setting on the dryer

I like Joe Klein. A serviceable center who played in the league for 10 years or so. Kings drafted him ahead of Karl Malone.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Steadman wanted to see some Kentucky Colonels, but he wasn’t sure what they looked like. I told him to go back to the clubhouse men’s rooms and look for men in white linen suits vomiting in the urinals. “They’ll usually have large brown whiskey stains on the fronts of their suits,” I said. “But watch the shoes, that’s the tip-off. Most of them manage to avoid vomiting on their own clothes, but they never miss their shoes.”

The Kentucky Derby Is Decadent and Depraved

Last edited by fomofo; 04-29-2024 at 12:37 PM.

In light of current events it might be interesting to revisit the 60's almost 60 years on with Dr. Thompson, ponder what has changed, and what hasn't.

The Nonstudent Left - Hunter S. Thompson - The Nation 1965

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hunter-s-thompson.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	221.1 KB 
ID:	492965

And although not the focus of the article, this little tidbit jumps off the page and slaps you right upside the head!

He lives, with three other nonstudents and two students, in a comfortable house on College Avenue, a few blocks from the campus. The $120-a-month rent is split six ways. There are three bedrooms, a kitchen and a big living room with a fireplace.

Hunter lived in an SF apartment about a block from my house. It was during the time he was doing “research” working at the Mitchell Bros Strip Club

This is appropriately in the cement in front of his old building. None of the neighbors seem to know if it showed up after he left or it was something he did. By the age of the cement , it’s totally plausible it’s his own scrawl

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9612.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	302.6 KB 
ID:	492968

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Hunter lived in an SF apartment about a block from my house. It was during the time he was doing “research” working at the Mitchell Bros Strip Club

This is appropriately in the cement in front of his old building. None of the neighbors seem to know if it showed up after he left or it was something he did. By the age of the cement , it’s totally plausible it’s his own scrawl
    That’s pretty cool to think about, but regardless, his spirit lives on in the sentiment. ;-)

Little side trip: The brothers playing the brothers, a weird Möbius strip of insanity. Don’t remember it being a great film, but it is highly entertaining.

I thought it was pretty perfect casting !