View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%

What Length PM Gear Ski?

PM Gear is getting closer to making the ski. We need to know what length would be best on a ski of dimensions, say, 120-99-115. (Not necessarily what it would be, but probably in that range.) What length would you buy in a ski with those dimensions?

No twin, slight upwardly curving tail.
    This is overall length, fairly standard tip with increased effective edge upon flexing.

For starters, yes.

Originally posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
    Ahhh....the masses continue shaping & desiging....FKNA

The PMG Bro Model..."By the Peeps, For the Peeps."

EDIT: and yeah as mntlion noted above....as least of equal importance to the dimensions in choosing a size is the flex. I'd like to see a flex towards the stiffer end of the spectrum (i.e. exlosiv, NKO, etc.)....at least in the tail anyway. Perhaps two different flexes can be made once the legnth / dimensions are set.....
    It's possible, totally possible. But we need to settle on a length for this first one.

As you all might imagine, the reason I'm asking is to get a representative sampling of what lengths people buy. As much as this would be a custom ski at the best price imaginable, we have to be certain we sell the first 100 pair we make. Our company's success depends on it. So we need a length that will sell as much as a flex, dimensions, and, above all - a cool topsheet. (HA!) MD is monkeying all over that.

There are a few intracacies we're investigating regarding construction, but we are talking burl edges and 6000 bases, wood core and, above all - a cool topsheet. Flex is determined by the types and layers of glass and, yes, we could do two flexes based on the glass without changing anything else. That is certainly a consideration, like maybe 30 pair of a soft version.
    Thanks for participating and the feedback!

As the most multiply-sponsored skier on the board, BB knows this stuff. How many companies think you're skiing their ski now, BB?

Who knows the particulars of sidecut radiuses?

Specifically, I'm looking for the radii of the new fattie Legend to compare against some other models. phunk, BB is that the sidecut that will be on the fat legend pro?

Nice, Nate, but you missed the 'k' in know. Just checkin..........

Probably, but I think 188 is where we're going to end up.

So you gonna be at Hood? I'm hoping we'll have a couple pair of prototypes that will need a sound thrashing about then by a multiply-spancered shit-talkin mofo like YOU.

Note to self:

Buy K2's pizeoelectric chip implant patent, boost power output for graphic display in tip.

How short-sighted of you, phunk. We need to know if it will cling to the blue ice walls of the three hundred foot deep crevasse. It's the next big thing, dude. You're in right?

Closing in on a 124-99-113 -ish, 188, semi-stiffie with flexicon tip.

(Probly go with the titanium infused carbonal maple core with rhodium stringers, teflon base with a permaPam topsheet that will sell solely on it's ability to negate the need for hangtowels.)

We're pretty damn sold on the name 'Bro Model', because we're doing our best to make a ski that is sick in powder, on steeps, in crud, and even better in bed for all the bros (and sisters) that can't afford $1000-$1200 skis. Tyrone is coming by today for the establishing of the radii (curve) on the sidecut. We are psyched, to say the least. If all goes as planned, the Bro Model will debut at the Hood mini for all to ski.

Originally posted by Mulletizer
    That description sounds cool. A tail with way less width than the tip is always good (that is pintail in most people's books, right?) IMO. I hated the Arno Adams - really found the tails hooked massively in powder because there was too much shape in the tail. So that shouldn't be a prob here.

Does your production process allow you to play around with different shapes for protos or will you need to decide on a shape and make moulds first? Just interested...
    Al - we have the ability to change shapes, but it is a bit costly due to making new molds. We're going with this shape in two different prototype flexes like we did when we tested the nko's. We'll also have the option to make the skis in two different flexes, if so desired. That is not too much taken off the tail, just a touch. We're doing so for enhanced performance in a couple of arenas, i.e., drop the tail a touch more in pow, less hang up on the walls, and skidability, while retaining carvability.

The sidecut of the Surreal is close to this at 126-95-113, but of course we're adding a bit underfoot to move closer to the performance of the W105. The LP is also close at 124-97-116. We might bump that tail to 114 if it doesn't hold the natural carve without skidding out or if the tip catches and hangs up on the real steeps. We'll have a real good idea of where we are after our radii analysis this afternoon. We believe, with the correct radii curvature in the sidecut, that this ski will do it all.

Interplanetary shipping will be available. Europe, too.

Tyrone and I spent the afternoon working with our designer on the radius and some other dimensional aspects, looking at edges, bases, topsheets, cores and wraps. We're dialing it in...

Once we dial the prototypes in and enough people have skied them to provide testimonials (read: They Rule), we're going to offer an advance purchase price to maggots of $450. Once we take care of our own, the price will go up.

Originally posted by irul&ublo
    They're gonna have integrated Marker bindings, right?
    flystrips.

I am pleased to announce it's a go. We just scheduled building of the prototypes and ordered the materials and start lamming the core tomorrow - a nice fir/aspen combo with maple stringers wrapped in triax fibers in the 124-99-113 dimensions Tyrone laid out yesterday.

we're just a wee bit

STOKED

rubbers.........check.

Odin just ordered the first pair.

(two drops...)

We won't take anyone's money until after the fourth. Until you all have either skied them or read the feedback of those who have. I have been so jacked on this, I haven't been able to sleep. Just woke up from a great ten hour snooze. Whoa!

Two flexes. No predrills. Glad you all are diggin on this. It's what we said PM Gear would be - killer new gear, killer bro prices. But we always knew to be able to do that, we would have to manufacture the gear. So we are.

Yeah, CD. It's alot easier to make more than one flex than to make more than one size, so we're gonna build two flexes and offer two flexes for purchase.

edit: But I must admit - the results of the poll surprised the hell out of me.