RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi

Boot fitting: Dynafit vs. Garmont/Scarpa...

I've heard that dynafit boots have a more snug fit than scarpa or garmont... Is this true? I have sized my fiance for AT boots, and she comes out to be 24-24.5 in Scarpa and Garmont sizing. Will she want a size 25.0 if it is a dynafit -brand boot?

Maybe this is completely false... I don't know. Thanks,

Mike

Article about this just in www.wildsnow.com

Also read the comments. I put in a datapoint
    Last edited by LeeLau; 10-31-2007 at 05:51 PM.

RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi
    So, I guess I got mixed up... the above article seems to say that the dynafits are sized a little small... and taht the garmonts/scarpas give a more snug fit. Does anyone else have a second or third opinion? And say a 25.0 is a little bigger, can a good thermo-fitting liner compensate for a half-size too big?

Curious.

FWIW, I wear a 26.0 GRide and a 26.0 ZZero 4 Carbon. Scarpas don't fit my feet, so no data point there.

Quote Originally Posted by ruletherock View Post
    So, I guess I got mixed up... the above article seems to say that the dynafits are sized a little small... and taht the garmonts/scarpas give a more snug fit. Does anyone else have a second or third opinion? And say a 25.0 is a little bigger, can a good thermo-fitting liner compensate for a half-size too big?

Curious.
    A good thermo-fitting liner may compensate for a half-size too big if you don't mold it, but then there is no point. These liners work by compressing, they don't really expand much if at all. You can not heat it as much when molding, or not use a toe cap, but that would leave you at a loss b/c the mold would have little contour to your foot, b/c lack of compression. I would say, toss out the size numbers and math. Base the proper size off of the shell fit. With a thermo liner you want 1-1.5 fingers of space behind the heel with toes touching the front lightly in the shell. That will determine the right size, but not the right volume for the foot, volume varies w/ brand of course. And w/ brand, of course varies the inner shell length, which is not always reflected accurately by the boot sole length. So sure it's quite possible to be a different size in different boots, like shoes. I would only do a 2 finger fit if the boot is 99% touring for you, as the article suggested.

Generally you want to be really close to the shell in a thermo liner, although many will freak out when I say this claiming frostbite and losing toe nails. The above is usually accomplished due to skiing being an EXTREME! sport that takes place in snow (snow is cold), people not supporting their feet, and people not knowing exactly how to ski. It happens.
    Last edited by wb.miller; 10-31-2007 at 10:55 PM.