how durable are sanouks

Not for the flex (soft) or camber (none) but for base damage durability

I live in the ROCKY mountains (banff) and the rocks are sharp and pointy, we have a thin, cold snow pack, and I like to find billy goat lines in rock bands so all that means that skis don't last for me.

Salomons and Rossi are some of the worst for blowing sidewalls and edges.

The volkl explosive is a local fav as it is cheap and VERY durable. (but not the right ski for me)

I'm hoping that the sanouk is similar to other volkls and durable, (I have a set on order) but any feedback from people or conditions that abuse skis?

Well the construction is very similar to Explouder, bar the aluminum. So I would assume that they are about equally robust. Though, Explosivs might have a slight edge, as the aluminum might keep the sidewalls more "protected".
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    You'll love em. I've been riding the same black pair for the last three seasons here at Squaw and they've been pretty hammered on. BUT... they keep on keepin on. Like any good Volkl, they hold up better than most manufactures out there.

Mntlion, I'm guessing you've tried the older gen goats? Or for other med to soft strong skis what about 777s (too narrow?) or their wide cousin the Blower.

Not sure about the snaouks, that tail scares me. It's probably just a mental thing, I'd love to know if anyone's busted/bent that swallow before?

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    (I have a set on order) but any feedback from people or conditions that abuse skis?
    From volkl? I thought they were replaced by the Katana, but what do I know. I love to Sannouk.

FG: from Ptex1, PM or call him for a deal on new pairs. $100 less then the cheapest I've seen anywhere else...

Add: 777 are too stiff, narrow, etc.

the sanouk is a softer version of the 194 EHP, and I like that ski a lot, but softer is just about always better for me in a ski.

I wonder what squaretail has to say about them.......

somewhat off topic, but does anyone know the effective running length on the sanouks? Searched, and found somewhat conflicting information in that they ski short due to their flex, but they're still plenty long in terms of actual ski under your feet. Think pechelman said that they ski like a mid-to-low 180s ski?

I'm thinking about throwing comforts on a pair as an all-around touring setup for the wasatch, but afraid they might get a bit awkward to throw around in tight situations (especially with the flat swallow that makes backing up a bit trickier). I would probably mount at +2 as recommended by some of the smaller folks

Also, does anyone know if the leather topsheets absorb much water, and if this adds much weight? I vaguely remember the older sumo topsheets wetting out after a bunch of time on snow.
    slopstyle crosscarver junior

Quote Originally Posted by mojorisin View Post
    somewhat off topic, but does anyone know the effective running length on the sanouks? Searched, and found somewhat conflicting information in that they ski short due to their flex, but they're still plenty long in terms of actual ski under your feet. Think pechelman said that they ski like a mid-to-low 180s ski?
    Well the actual running length of my Gen 1. Sanouks is 161cm. And the tails have a slight flair to them (last 5 cm or so).

Plus the really soft even flex makes 'em really fast turning skis in soft snow. You can decamber 'em in a heartbeat and thus make 'em turn in a dime.

I have a pair of first gen Buddha Sanouks. I thought they would brake or at least bend at the first sight of a stone, but I actually find it to hold up really well. Stones seems to have no affect when they hit somewhere else than right under the foot. The ski is so soft that it just flexes and the impact gets less powerful. I´ve gotten several really hard stone impacts and I was allways surprised to see that the ski survived. No edge blowouts what so ever so far after many days on them.

In comparasion I can say that I have had five pairs of AK Rocket Swallowtails over the last years and I have none left now because of breaking sidewalls and delamination problems caused by rock impacts.

Quote Originally Posted by mojorisin View Post
    Sanouk skis shorter than any other 190+ ski I have tried. It´s amazingly easy to turn. I would say that even a smaller girl could easily handle the ski.

Mine seem to be holding up great, no base damage despite Utah's low tide year last season. The only problem is the topsheets (the scratchy faux-wood one) are peeling up a bit at the points of the swallowtail...not a big deal though.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

Quote Originally Posted by MnO View Post
    I would say that even a smaller girl could easily handle the ski.
    Thou I ain't a gal, I'm pretty much infant sized for most 'muricans.

Did cha buy a 2nd pair of Gen 1 'nooks from Freeride.nus köp&sälj... I was kind of tempted, but decided I don't need another pair, just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by hemas View Post
    Well the actual running length of my Gen 1. Sanouks is 161cm. And the tails have a slight flair to them (last 5 cm or so).

Plus the really soft even flex makes 'em really fast turning skis in soft snow. You can decamber 'em in a heartbeat and thus make 'em turn in a dime.
    fuck, I'm sold. I just need to convince my roommate to buy my current touring set up.

I skied alot of powder with no base last season (and lots of hidden sharks), and though the bases now have alot of scratches, I got no core shots, and edges are doing fine as well. They were used (but in great condition) when I bought them so I had few inhibitions about sking through thinly covered rocky areas. They seem very durable to me

Hate to be 'that guy'... but I blew up my sidewall on day three last year. It was a pretty light to moderate rock hit underfoot and to the edge. The edge bent a little and the sidewall chunked out a bit. I did a home repair and they have been fine since. I have always thought of this ski as fragile... but that doesn't stop me from loving them.

I blew out an edge/delammed a pretty good section of a pair of Sanouks in their first 10 days. I should have warranteed them, but didn't really have time for the hassel, so did a half-assed job epoxying them back together.

The biggest problem (aside from the peeling apart at the edges) with them compared to a stiffer ski like a Big Daddy, is that they're so fricken soft that you tend to hit crap hard right under your feet. I have a couple of solid core shots right under the boot that I think I would have just scraped over with the BDs. FWIW, once you hit the glass of the core, they seem pretty strong.

Quote Originally Posted by hemas
    Did cha buy a 2nd pair of Gen 1 'nooks from Freeride.nus köp&sälj... I was kind of tempted, but decided I don't need another pair, just yet.
    I was tempted too, but ended up with the same desicion. I just don´t need a second pair (saing this I will probably blow them at the next pow day).

I got my Sanouks (slightly used) mid-season last year, and put maybe 20 days on them. The bases look great, the edges are fine, but one of the tails is delamming - I've lost about 3 cm of top sheet off one tail. Don't notice it a bit - still my favorite soft snow ski, by far.

I've never had serious problems.... only a minimal delam in the tip of one of the swallow tails, fixed with epoxy.

buy my sanouks, avaliable in sthlm... 1500skr or 2000skr with 977eq 14din

Quote Originally Posted by FFsup View Post
    buy my sanouks, avaliable in sthlm... 1500skr or 2000skr with 977eq 14din

I might be tempted... As I'll be there this month... Hung over and heading into either Klätterverket or Karbin for some indoor climbing.

Oh, PM heading that way.
    Last edited by hemas; 11-02-2007 at 10:29 AM.

thanks ptex1!

capital skis = durable as hell (also spendy)
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

The topsheet on the wood-grained models chip along the edges, but other than that no problems. I somehow managed to get one of the tines of the swallow-tail jammed into my opposing heel-piece during a fall. I didn't know what was up as I was in deep powder. I thrashed and twisted around for at least ten minutes before getting untagled and the swallow-tail was fine. I also rutinely jam my tails into the snow at the top of a run.

I beat mine up pretty good, but there a pow ski so it doesnt really matter.. They bent in to a reverse camber shape, but they ski fine...