New Salomon Rockered Proto-type, but not the Rocker

So, I attended the the MSP premiere in Seattle and where a bunch of Salomon team riders (Mike Douglas, Abma, Sammy Carlson) were signing autographs. Since I really didn't have a lot to say to them, and I love talking about skis, I decided to ask Douglas and Abma what they are skiiing these days. Their answers were very interesting.

Me to Douglas: "So, what are you skiing these days...X-Wing Labs?"

Douglas: "No, that is way to big for me. I ride the 188 Gun and a new rockered prototype that we are working on."

Me: "Oh, you mean the Rocker?"

Douglas: " No, something totally new and fully rockered throughout. It is a total blast!"

End of conversation and on to Abma...

Me to Abma: "So, what are you skiing these days...X-Wing Labs?"

Abma: "Nah, that's too big. I'm skiing these 185 Rockered Prototypes that I'm totally loving."

Me: "Nice. They going to see production?"

Abma: "I think so. They should be out next year."

End of conversation.

So, I thought that it was funny that neither rider skis the X-Wing Lab and that they have both moved on to skis beyond the current offerings, like the Rocker. I suppose that is how it works when you are involved with R&D, but it was nice of them to share.

So, anyone have more info? I didn't hear them say "reverse sidecut" so I'm wondering if this is a Sallie version of a Hellbent type ski. I know it's way too early to talk about 2009 gear, but there is still not enough snow on the ground to ski, so this seems like a good way to pass the time...

I would bet they are making a Hellbent-ish ski. I'll see if I can find out more, but I think the answer is going to be fairly un-exciting. The current rocker looks super fun, and I applaud them there, but Salomon tends to follow and not lead from what I've noticed. My prediction is a ski a bit wider than a gun lab, with full rocker and normal sidecut in a 185ish length. Salomon has always led with a big mountain brawler (AK Rocket, Swallowtail Lab, Rocker) and then released a new school counterpart so their riders can ski and land switch (Pocket Rocket, Gun Lab, ???).

I remember seeing a photo of a proto Pontoon like two years ago and being so excited rocker was making a comeback (realizing I could stop hoarding spats). I think rocker in some form in most companies is gonna get really common. The big news a few years back was wider and wider, now it's rocker or not. I don't see us getting as excited about new skis in the coming years and they will just be variations on what we expect. I have no guess what the next big innovation in skis will be.

I do think we are gonna see rocker pop into alot of park skis coming up. Not just like kids using hellbents in the park, but a skinnier ski like a PE having tip and tail rocker for butters and whatever. Moment already has a rockered park ski, Reno Rocker.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

I think you are probably richt, Bossass. I love that this stuff is all "secret" until the athletes spout it out at some random guy (me) at a movie premiere. Gotta dig the candor, though.

i have three pair and no i'm not telling

Quote Originally Posted by bossass View Post
    I do think we are gonna see rocker pop into alot of park skis coming up. Not just like kids using hellbents in the park, but a skinnier ski like a PE having tip and tail rocker for butters and whatever. Moment already has a rockered park ski, Reno Rocker.
    im waiting for base convexities

but yea, rocker is here and definitely the next thing

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
    all the tuning nerds hate em.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    i have three pair and no i'm not telling
    that was just cruel.

Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy View Post
    all the tuning nerds hate em.
    as do most hands-on people hate the engineer

think of it as gratuitous base edge beveling.

saw a few pairs they have gun graphics b/c they are prototypes but xw lab like construction. I think they will be called the gun rocker or something of the sort they are not dramatically rockered, in fact to me it looked like just the tip was rockered, normal sidecut. They look good, don't know if this is what they were talking about but the fact that I saw three pairs indicates it will be a ski next year.

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
    Some snowboards had that in the 90s. Supposedly they were designed for bumps. HAHA!!

But who knows, have yet to see it on skis. It'll kick ass on the groomers back to the lift fa sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    So, I thought that it was funny that neither rider skis the X-Wing Lab and that they have both moved on to skis beyond the current offerings, like the Rocker.
    considering neither is taller than 5'8'', or ski in comps (what the XW lab is for), so it shouldn't be too suprising they don't ski them.

also, considering all of the core stuff at companies is developed by team riders, it should not be suprising that they are screwing around with shapes and rocker lines and developing future products.

I have a snowboard with a convex base. It is a very nice board. Great for pivoting in the pow, and for some reason it´s really good for carving as well. (Don´t ask me why)

Don´t slander something you haven´t tried...

http://www.bataleon.com/en/triplebasetechnology/ for more info.
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

X-wing Lab

The 198 X-wing lab is for the Euros that ski hard

Kaj Zackrison is like 5 foot and skis it, so height isn't an issue there.

Check him out (in blue after about 1:55) in this:
    http://www.freeride.se/tv/player.php?tv=1421

XWin Lab

Leeeerooooooooooy Jeeeennnnnkins.
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso