Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Volkl Sanouk vs 4FRT EHP 193

Volkl is 130/110/120, and swallow tail, and softer?

EHP is (130 x 112 x 118), and flat camber, and med to stiff flex.

I love the way the EHP skis, and was surprised as I usually like a softer ski. How different is the Sanouk? Similar under foot, and the waist.

Well, you forgot that the Sanouk has also no camber.
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

if you like the EHP I would not recommend the sanouk, there is soft, then there is sanouk soft. Also, the swallow tail is huge, it really sinks the tails a lot more than you might expect.

That being said, the sanouk is a fun ski, once you get them dialed they can haul ass and their powder performance is amazing, but if you like anything stiffer than a pocket rocket, i would stay away from it.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

funny, I usually like a very soft ski (190 or 200cm AR rockets) but I found the EHP all right. I think this is cuz I'm a small guy (#155) and the EHP lack of camber lets the ski feel like it is pre flexed a bit, so I can wash out the tails without much effort. I was hoping that the sanouk would have a similar, but softer feel.

it is and it isn't. the EHP is going to be mutiple times better in anything cut up or crud, but if you like the ability to wash out the tails without too much effort the sanouk has that in spades.

When I think of EHPs, I think of hitting a 30ft air to hardpack and straitlining out through moguls, when I think of sanouks, I think of powder 8s and not quite so intense skiing. It would no be entirely be wrong to call a sanouk a softer EHP. The biggest place you would feel the difference is in the cut up pow and crud, its hard to imagine how soft the tips on the sanouks really are until you ski them, but then again some people like that
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

sounds like I should buy a pair and THEN sell the EHP's

cuz you can never have too many pairs of skis ....

anyone have some?

Mtnlion:

I replaced my 200 AK Rockets w/ Sanouks and think you would really like the Sanouks coming from the AK Rockets.

Sending pm…

I really enjoyed Sanouks from a pure skiing standpoint. The softness makes for a really fun, playful ski. The soft tips ski somewhat like a rocker-light ski, bending as soon as you think about turning. The soft tails make the ski really "dolphin" through powder....lots of bounce.

That said, I traded them out, due to the soft tails. I love jumping on a pow day, and got sick of the wheelie action on every cliff I landed.

My take away from the ski was that I love the deminsions, think they are perfect for me. They caused me to grab a pair of Axioms (130-110-120...same), which I am liking. However maybe too short for me at 183.

Because of that ^ my current dream ski is the EHP. So, let me know if you want to sell!

Side note: I am very different deminisions than you....6'4" 215. Also, I mounted 4cm forward, which I think I would recommend to anyone.
    Donjoy to the World!

Quote Originally Posted by Huckwheat View Post
    They caused me to grab a pair of Axioms (130-110-120...same), which I am liking. However maybe too short for me at 183.

Side note: I am very different deminisions than you....6'4" 215.
    Thread hijack: have you checked out the Powder Plus? They were available in a 190cm length; similar dimensions (approx. 135-115-125). I have a set of 183 Axioms (haven't skied yet) and 180 Pow Plus; the Pow Plus hand-flex stiffer than the Axioms, but they don't ski like stiff skis, more smeary than carvy.

I need to mount up the Axioms and try them back-to-back with the Pow Plus. I guess we need some snow first...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Good to see someone else is having the same conundrum I am having for a pow ski.

I have owned both skis. I, myself, generally like a stiffer board, but man those 'nooks were fun in the pow. Like, maybe my favorite pow-specific ski ever. The soft tip and tail make for a great rocker-y float-y feeling in the deep w/o the teeter-totter effect of a reverse camber/sidecut ski. I believe their strongest attribute to be the fact that you can ski them forward all day in the deep and not fight with quad fatigue (ie. smoke your bros longer as their girly noodle legs burn up). However, if you like to mach the cut-up this is where the 'nooks lose their shine. Floppy, sloppy and meek would best describe their crud performance.

The EHP's are fun enough. But honestly, for me at least, they didn't really do anything particularly well. They're planky in the pow, washy on the groom, not too damp in the crud and kinda heavy to boot (and I ride 201 DP half my days). I picture they're ideal home being on a 50 degree slope of butter-cream, and that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by routter View Post
    The EHP's are fun enough. But honestly, for me at least, they didn't really do anything particularly well. They're planky in the pow, washy on the groom, not too damp in the crud and kinda heavy to boot (and I ride 201 DP half my days). I picture they're ideal home being on a 50 degree slope of butter-cream, and that's about it.
    So....you want to sell them?
    Donjoy to the World!

We must think alike....but in reverse because I bought the EHP after skiing the sanouk this last year and thought "looks like a stiffer sanouk - i'm in". To me the sanouk was my day after a dump ski at the resort. They track much better, duh, than a reverse camber and make getting to the goods more enjoyable. The downfall, as stated above, are that they get deflected too easy in the cut up mank - once you get your pow turns in...I like to straight line through that...

So, if the EHP lives up to my expectations, the sanouk will be for sale. But wait, is it a collectors item now?

Dave - I have a pair of Sanouks...pm me an offer...

soulskier, how would you expect the Sanouks to perform on the EC? I saw someone at MRG with a pair mounted tele and he said it was one of his favorite skis for anything but bulletproof. I find that hard to believe, given how soft they are. I'm looking at replacing my Pow Plus down the line and wanted something thats going to be able to ski west coast, but aren't overkill on the EC. The dimensions are about what I'm looking for I was just a little concerned about the length, I'm assuming since they're soft they ski short?
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

Quote Originally Posted by laseranimal View Post
    soulskier, how would you expect the Sanouks to perform on the EC? I saw someone at MRG with a pair mounted tele and he said it was one of his favorite skis for anything but bulletproof. I find that hard to believe, given how soft they are.
    That teledood is right. For a smaller person (I'm, like ~150 to 155 lbs), the Sanouk is actually a pretty good ski, even on hard stuff... the one that often is yellow'ish. As stated the tip gets deflected in crud, but you can still power 'em through in the direction you want 'em to go.

Naturally my original Big Daddies behave better on harder conditions, but I was positevely surpriced on how well the 'nook works.

Oh, and they don't ski short, but you can make 'em turn quite fast, if the need arises.

Though, should be noted that I suck at this skiing thing. So fuck do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by hemas View Post
    That teledood is right. For a smaller person (I'm, like ~150 to 155 lbs), the Sanouk is actually a pretty good ski, even on hard stuff... the one that often is yellow'ish. As stated the tip gets deflected in crud, but you can still power 'em through in the direction you want 'em to go.

Naturally my original Big Daddies behave better on harder conditions, but I was positevely surpriced on how well the 'nook works.

Oh, and they don't ski short, but you can make 'em turn quite fast, if the need arises.

Though, should be noted that I suck at this skiing thing. So fuck do I know.
    yeah the big daddies are also on my radar screen but I'm worried about the stiffness/length

I know Highway Star really likes them for EC but he skis a lot harder then I do
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

yeah the big daddies are also on my radar screen but I'm worried about the stiffness/length

I know Highway Star really likes them for EC but he skis a lot harder then I do
    What, you're not RACE STOCK???

Oh, my BD's are the original 107mm ones, not the new 125mm ones.

The sanouk will ski pow slowly much better than the ehps. I know mntlion is a guide so this may be an issue. EHPs take a minute to get up to cruising speed in lighter pow. EHPs strength is the stomp. Can't comment on the sanouks but I know they will come up to the surface much quicker than an ehp.
    Drive slow, homie.

I've skied both. Both really fun skis, and most of it's been covered in this thread already...but here are a few points - keep in mind I've only skied the Sanouks with AT boots/bindings, and EHP's only alpine, for a few laps. I probably have 5-10 days on the Sanouks, all bc with a couple access runs at the resort.

The Sanouk is a unique beast due to the way-back mounting position and swallowtail. You ski it centered, and can drive the front of the ski as hard as you want in pow. In untracked deep, this is probably the most fun ski I've been on. And I've tried Spats, Prophet 130's, and other mega fats like that. It floats so well it's amazing, and just flat out rips in the fresh. But it does get beat up once the snow gets trashed. Coming back onto the resort after the bc, I always find them a bit scary. Hardpack bumps, etc...they just get tossed. However if it's a decent groomer, you can actually make some nice GS turns on them and feel OK.

The Sanouks are WAY lighter than the EHPs.

The EHPs are more solid and I'd definitely pick them if you are looking to charge big lines, as hard as you can. Groomies kinda suck on em though.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

soulskier, how would you expect the Sanouks to perform on the EC? I saw someone at MRG with a pair mounted tele and he said it was one of his favorite skis for anything but bulletproof. I find that hard to believe, given how soft they are. I'm looking at replacing my Pow Plus down the line and wanted something thats going to be able to ski west coast, but aren't overkill on the EC. The dimensions are about what I'm looking for I was just a little concerned about the length, I'm assuming since they're soft they ski short?
    I love my Sanouks and i generally like much stiffer skis. I think they're great for EC pow and trees because they are easy as hell to ski slowly and scrub speed with. they don't ski short per se but those soft tips are pretty ease to bend around stuff. they even ski bumps "relatively" well.
    In more open terrain they're more stable than you think, you just have to get used to the tips bending up and scratching your nose while the rest of the ski plows right along

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    sounds like I should buy a pair and THEN sell the EHP's

cuz you can never have too many pairs of skis ....

anyone have some?

I have some Sanouks that I would sell. They have been used for one day and I did not care for them. I bought them used - one day says the former owner - they were originally mounted with an AT binding (not sure of make). I plugged those holes with dowel and remounted in different holes for a Bishop Bomber on the line. I used them one day cat skiing in Montana.

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    The sanouk will ski pow slowly much better than the ehps. I know mntlion is a guide so this may be an issue. EHPs take a minute to get up to cruising speed in lighter pow. EHPs strength is the stomp. Can't comment on the sanouks but I know they will come up to the surface much quicker than an ehp.
    nope: wife was a heliguide, (now a nurse just like my avitar) I'm just a ski bum, who bootfits. (and sells some fat skis)

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper Bones View Post
    Dave - I have a pair of Sanouks...pm me an offer...

email sent.

Quote Originally Posted by crab bait View Post
    I have some Sanouks that I would sell. They have been used for one day and I did not care for them. I bought them used - one day says the former owner - they were originally mounted with an AT binding (not sure of make). I plugged those holes with dowel and remounted in different holes for a Bishop Bomber on the line. I used them one day cat skiing in Montana.
    what price are you looking for on them?

so drilled twice and used twice?

what price are you looking for on them?

so drilled twice and used twice?[/QUOTE]

I can only vouch for my own use. The former owner said he'd only used the skis one day. The condition I received them in would seem to be consistent with that statement. As far as price, I hadn't really thought. I got what I think was an OK deal for a late season ski purchase. $450?

Quote Originally Posted by crab bait View Post
    I can only vouch for my own use. The former owner said he'd only used the skis one day. The condition I received them in would seem to be consistent with that statement. As far as price, I hadn't really thought. I got what I think was an OK deal for a late season ski purchase. $450?
    $550 new (no holes) on evogear.

Thinking more like $300, most skis can take 3 sets of drill holes, and so this is the final one, even if the skis are used 2 days.