Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

viosport helmet cam hook up

Okay so Vio sport has finally come out with the helmet cam I have always wanted Kick ass

The problem is the cost Is there, or does anyone out there have a hook up with viosport? I would love to get my hands on one of these bad boys before the season starts.

Tgr vid on their site
    Man, It was great...

Used one all last week at Whistler, pretty much just testing it. It worked great! My friends have connections with the owner. Not alot of hookups going on from what I understand. Good luck.
    Have fun or get hurt bad. "MFT" A.K.A. Dr. Doom

There are but three true sports--bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. "Ernest Hemingway"

I'm good friends with the owner... I don't think there are really any "hookups" Especially on brand new releases.

Great, great stuff, though!!!
    "Shit, I'll choke her while she's cleaning, and I'll do it wearing a helmet cam mounted on a full-face helmet.
    I'll have meatdrink9 do the lighting for the shot. He'll make it artsy as fuck."
    - Phunk

This does pretty much look like the perfect setup. But the real question is can the footage be taken off the device for use on macs? Or is the software PC specific?

here ya go dude :

System requirements:
    USB 2.0 port or SD card reader
    Windows: Microsoft Windows XP or Vista and a CD-ROM drive
    Macintosh: Macintosh OS X 10.4.7 or higher
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Powder

Okay so if a "hook-up" is umpossible for the first release, can I get some usage descriptions from those that have tried it already, does it work as slick as it looks? How big would you say the recording device is? How long of a cable does it come with?
    I'm pretty sure I'll get it anyway, but a heads up would be great!
    Man, It was great...

I just wanna see how the quality is compared to my regular Viosport Adventure cam 3 w/ mini DV cam when put onto a computer and seen on a TV. Could be trade offs compression wise as has been said in numerous threads...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Atrain505 View Post
    This does pretty much look like the perfect setup. But the real question is can the footage be taken off the device for use on macs? Or is the software PC specific?
    Yes but you have to convert it in Motion first.....
    quality is better then the DV, it also doesnt have 3 or 4 little connections that can come unplugged......
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow"

Moment skis

I wonder if I will eventually be able to just plug in my normal Adventure CAM into the base unit. That would be amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by TWINS View Post
    I love it when shitweasels get there panties all in a bunch.

Based on their website they act like its easy to use on a mac. Divx codec, which I thought you could use right in final cut without converting.

You really have to convert in motion first? That would be absurd.

sounds pretty good but the video samples on the website look like crap. check out the ski and bike ones. they are nothing to get exicted about.

i would like to see a full-res video before throwing down 9 bills.

Based on their website they act like its easy to use on a mac. Divx codec, which I thought you could use right in final cut without converting.

You really have to convert in motion first? That would be absurd.
    Not really sure... but that is how we had to do it (although it was over a month ago, so we were just doing it by trial and error...

The quality is actually really good, could use it in an HD show without having to upconvert it....
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow"

Moment skis

Met and discussed this product at the recent Outdoor retailer show in Salt Lake City.

Awesome product. May be able to get my hands on one for this coming season as a "demo"....LOTS OF MILITARY FUNDING...Ranger Platoons are using these on all their missions.

As more R&D dollars come in from Uncle Sam I was told prices will drop.

M

advres Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 2stix View Post
    Okay so if a "hook-up" is umpossible for the first release, can I get some usage descriptions from those that have tried it already, does it work as slick as it looks? How big would you say the recording device is? How long of a cable does it come with?
    I'm pretty sure I'll get it anyway, but a heads up would be great!
    Mine is being delivered today. I will let you know. And also, the cost is much LESS then their old camera packages. I think better quality and dropping the price is great.

I have been using one of these units most of the summer and they are sweet! The resolution is far superior to any HC I have used in the past. After using all the old helmet cam set ups with so many cords and connections this unit is a pleasure to use. The unit is waterproof as well and I have put it to the test.

Vio Sport is in the process of developing the software for Macs as well. For now there are several plug in's you can use to convert the .Avi files to .Mov files which is what I do.

advres Guest
    Holy hell!!!

UPS just dropped mine off...

I opened the box and the thing has a freaking carrycase with everything nice packed and organized...

The recorder is about the size of a tv remote. A little fatter than I thought it would be but no biggie...

The camera is nice and small. smaller then the old ones.

the single cable connection will be sick and there is even a friggin wireless remote!!! So stoked to use this thing!!

Sorry if the pics are blurry but I'm excited!

advres Guest
    Roner - Are you shooting in 720x480 mode? I was surprised when I just played around with it that, it wasn't set to that as default.

Keep updating the info on this thing. It looks pretty sweet.
    How time consuming are the plug-in's to convert the avi to .mov?
    And about how much recording time do you have when recording at full resolution? I guess it depends on the card, but a general idea would be great.

This may be a purchase for me.

Definately keep up the updates as you play around with that thing advers.
    The unit does look alot bigger that I had thought, but without a seperate battery pack and the mess of cables and the camcorder... It sure looks small.
    It looks realy tough as well, is the shell feel as tough as it looks?
    I had no idea uncle Sam was using the tech, it must have alot more positives then I can already see.

Atrain505 lifted from their site

How much video can be stored on a 1GB SD card?

Video yield rates per GB are listed below. If you are using a 2GB card, simply double the times.
    highest settings (720x480, 30fps, high quality) yields 43 minutes
    default settings (640x480, 30fps, high quality) yields 48 minutes
    lowest settings (320x240, 15fps, low quality)yields 472 minutes (7.8 hours)
    Back

they say it can only use 2GB cards right now, but a future firmware upgrade should crank it up to the current or future cards.
    Man, It was great...

I wonder how this cam compares with Samsung's SC-X300L? The Samsung looks smaller and you can shoot regular video as well (not just helmet cam), but it doesn't have the remote control. It is almost 3-times cheaper though. I need a real helmet cam this season. That Oregon Scientific one from last year didn't work for shit.

^^ from what i read those samsungs are total POS ^^

i was looking at the POV1 option and go to thinking about the samsung (not that my footy would be as rad as yours meat), and shoot some other video projects too, but a lot of people seem to think the samsung SC-X300L is just balls. if you youtube search with the name of the device there are some sample videos posted. it's hard to say if the youtube compression is hurting things alot but the sample footage looks like bad news.

my no actual use .02¢

Based on purely specs that Samsung seems just as good as the vio cam. But the reviews are all over the place on the Samsung...and I haven't really heard anything good about Samsung products in general. I wish that vio price was a little friendlier.

Quote Originally Posted by BC-FLOW View Post
    ^^ from what i read those samsungs are total POS ^^

i was looking at the POV1 option and go to thinking about the samsung (not that my footy would be as rad as yours meat), and shoot some other video projects too, but a lot of people seem to think the samsung SC-X300L is just balls. if you youtube search with the name of the device there are some sample videos posted. it's hard to say if the youtube compression is hurting things alot but the sample footage looks like bad news.

my no actual use .02¢
    The reviews are what have kept me from pulling the trigger thus far. It seems like a real score in the mid 300's, but I've been trying to get first hand info before pulling the trigger. You can tell some of the reviews are by total idiots and then there's the occasional review by a somewhat tech savvy type (knows how to convert for use on a mac, etc..) that gives it a great review. Arghh!!! Oh well. There's still a couple of months before it needs to be purchased.

BTW, that Oregon Scientific cam is a POS. Nobody buy that thing. It doesn't work in the cold.

Keep updating the info on this thing. It looks pretty sweet.
    How time consuming are the plug-in's to convert the avi to .mov?
    And about how much recording time do you have when recording at full resolution? I guess it depends on the card, but a general idea would be great.

This may be a purchase for me.
    One of the issues is its a FAT file system with a 2GB limitation...I know they are working on this, but these models will ONLY take a 2gb card MAX.

M

advres Guest
    About the 2GB max thing... I don't really see that as a limitation for a couple of reasons.

#1 - 2GB cards are cheap as hell now. Having multiple in your pack and swapping is not a big deal.

#2 - an hour and a half (roughly) on a 2GB card is plenty for a day. POV is pretty useless footage unless it is an epic line (skiing/snowboarding wise). Turn it on at the top of your line and turn it off after you are done. It may kinda suck if you are doing long downhills or river runs or something but for snow sports, it shouldn't really be a limitation. And, if you are doing these long downhills, etc... look up at #1.

Here is a little test vid I did. I shot it in 720x480 30fps. I imported it into a 1080i60 timeline in FCP and exported it for Youtube. It looked better than our standard HC footage with the old VIOsports in FCP. Unfortunately, Youtube fucks everything up so you can't really see the quality. So, just think of the TGR helmet cam footy from the past, only just a smidge better. Also, I was holding it in my hand so it was shakey as hell.