why would you make an AT boot without a walk function?

Looking at the Garmont Shaman and Scarpa Hurricane it doesn't look like there's a walk function in either

I'm just trying to comprehend the logic behind building a boot with a vibram sole that doesn't have a walk function.
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

i have found that the only time I really wish I had a walk function was when i'm on flatter ground, i don't really miss it that much when i'm bootpacking up something steep. Therefore, my take on boots like these is that they are built for those who want a vibram sole for rock scrambling/hiking/bootpacking to get into their line, but still want a full on alpine performance on the way down.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Only thing an AT boot has to offer over an alpine boot is weight, and traction, in that order.

I don't know how many times I've started down and realised I still had my boots in walk mode. I honestly don't know why I flick it to walk mode in the first place - probably to stand up straight for a few minutes at the top. It's really just one more thing to break.

Why walk when you can ski? I find the walk function a waste - I agree it is just one more thing to break.

The Hurricane is an alpine boot with Vibram, not an AT boot without a walk mode.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

garmont shaman is basically a race boot made out of softer plastic. not an at boot at all. it just happens to have a replacable sole.

if you ever have to walk downhill or rock scramble in your boots - walk mode give you more stability and ergonomics

if you ever do any skinning on any pitch or if you travel over rolling or flat terrain - walk mode gives you much more efficiency and length in your stride

if all you do is bootpack up stuff, then you don't need walk mode... do you even need an AT boot?
    Last edited by Summit; 08-19-2007 at 11:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    garmont shaman is basically a race boot made out of softer plastic. not an at boot at all. it just happens to have a replacable sole.
    Gee, sounds a lot like the Hurricane. Props to Scarpa and Garmont for extending their market.

I think they should have put a hard plastic sole on the T-race. They got rid of the walk mode anyways; why not go all the way? Actually, take away the bellows too... the ultimate in stability and control in a tele boot is an alpine boot.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

walk mode is nice on steep skin tracks
    Elvis has left the building

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    if all you do is bootpack up stuff, then you don't need walk mode... do you even need an AT boot?
    that was my question, I was thinking about getting new boots this year and was looking at both the Shaman/Hurricane. Which made me wonder why I wouldn't just keep my alpine boot with a thermo liner.
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

Quote Originally Posted by laseranimal View Post
    that was my question, I was thinking about getting new boots this year and was looking at both the Shaman/Hurricane. Which made me wonder why I wouldn't just keep my alpine boot with a thermo liner.
    Just add some Vibram soles and you're golden.

No need for an AT boot sans walk switch.
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

Quote Originally Posted by hemas View Post
    Just add some Vibram soles and you're golden.
    I'll probably skip the vibram since I don't do a lot of rock scrambling where I'd need it and I've still got to fit the sole into alpine boots.

I've got a G-fit thermo liner anybody know any way of beefing up the tongue area? fit wise they work but I'm worried that its going to cause some shin bang issue since its a good deal softer then the stock liner

The Shaman has a FI of 120, although in testing it was a 130. The Astral (femme version) is 110. Basically a Doberman plug, with higher volume in the toes. It also comes with a thermo liner, as well as lugged soles for your AT binders and DIN soles for your alpine binders.

From all the feedback we received at demos, as well as personal testing, this was geared for patrollers and 'front country' or slack country skiiers with fat skis who don't necessarily hike all day for their turns, but rather access turns from bootpacking past backcountry gates at resorts. It will be a great work boot if it fits you right.

I'll bring them to the Loveland demo; I'll let you know as soon as we pin down the date. Try them out so you can form a better opinion. I suspect this boot is more of our intro into the alpine market, which we already are doing in EU.

Cheers,

Jacquelyne

Whats the liner in the Shaman like? Hard to tell from the pics, but it looks more like a traditional alpine liner than an AT style thermo liner.

Quote Originally Posted by laseranimal View Post
    I'm just trying to comprehend the logic behind building a boot with a vibram sole that doesn't have a walk function.
    for the same logic that makes me want a standard alpine binding that is vibram compatible.
    Sometimes, ie for my resort skis, all I want is a binding I can use my AT boots in safely because I like;

- the fit
    - this stiffness (or lack thereof)
    - how warm they are
    - that they make it easier to boot\walk up\along ridges for stuff Id access inbounds and never need to skin.
    - and only makes me need 1 pr of boots.

It is a top secret marketing scheme widely known by all european bootmakers that once you buy these, you will never even be able to give them away, let alone sell them (I've been trying to get rid of some vin late 70's San Marco "AT" sans walk mode since roughly that time). At which time you will be right back in the market for a 2nd pair of the boots you really need all in the same season.

But after 30 years they do make a good decorative door stop or flower pot.

Pechelman
    I have heard that the Jester will be AT boot compatible.

-Which would be awesome for all of the reasons you listed.
    It was all a whirlwind; freeze and flash.
    Within a week we had grabbed our skis and hit the road.

(nothing... a little powder, a little blood.)

that would be awesome

supposedly all any binding needs is a toe height and sliding afd to work, ie new 914, but id just like the peice of mind that is was designed with an AT vibram\rockered sole in mind.

so it sounds like the consensus is that the shaman is an Alpine boot with a vibram sole and not an AT boot without a walk function

pechelman, that would be so cool but I guarentee the markets not big enough to get it done