Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Busted cutting trails in VT

This is my other brother, Darryl....
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

60ft wide!
    They must be shitty skiers.
    Last edited by smolakian; 08-03-2007 at 04:34 PM.

Bill Briggs was one of the original tree cutters. He got busted (I think twice) cutting periphery runs at Snowking, in Jackson, back in the 60's I believe. Classic.

60 feet wide and 3/4 of a mile long

yeah like NOBODY was gonna notice that one

f-ing morons

bet the damn thing won't even hold snow
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

Quote Originally Posted by smolakian View Post
    60ft wide!
    They much be shitty skiers.
    Yeah - they much be. The warden more than likely was very liberal with his measurements. Probably the old "double it and add thirty" rule. Kinda like how cops say "we busted this guy with 60 lbs of pot" when in reality they only got about 3 lbs of actual bud.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Yeah - they much be. The warden more than likely was very liberal with his measurements. Probably the old "double it and add thirty" rule. Kinda like how cops say "we busted this guy with 60 lbs of pot" when in reality they only got about 3 lbs of actual bud.
    Another sign of the apocalypse: I agree completely.

60 feet wide by 3/4 mile long is a clearcut, no way that's what was happening there.

3 lbs x 2 = 6lbs, 6lbs + 30 = 36lbs, 36lbs =! 60lbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    3 lbs x 2 = 6lbs, 6lbs + 30 = 36lbs, 36lbs =! 60lbs.
    I are not soo good at 'rithmatic, but the 2x+30 rule and the DEA analogies were meant to be unrelated.

I got busted for building freeride mtb trails a few years back. I never cut a tree bigger than about 1" diameter and all the steep sections were on bare rock so there were no errosion issues. But the Forestry Agent and the DA made it sound like I was hacking out four lane highways. In the end, I opted to plea-bargain out to avoid searving hard time for building a few little trails on a remote piece of county forest that nobody but one prick Forestry guy cared about. That's how these losers play thier game. I'd be willing to bet these guys at Jay are getting the same treatment.

after re-reading the article I'm inclined to agree with ice and jer

But its got to be pretty obvious if its noticeable to the GMC

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Long Trail runs over Jay Peak not Big Jay

I know there's the path out to Big Jay from Jay Peak but there are no other hiking trails on Big Jay right?
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

So sad......Sounds desperate

Quote Originally Posted by laseranimal View Post
    after re-reading the article I'm inclined to agree with ice and jer

But its got to be pretty obvious if its noticeable to the GMC
    All it takes is one hippy to hear the distant sound of a saw or wonder why those pickup trucks are parked at that certain part of deserted dirt road.

All it takes is one hippy to hear the distant sound of a saw or wonder why those pickup trucks are parked at that certain part of deserted dirt road.
    rule one of EC tree cutting

hand saws and anvil loppers

Pfft. I can hear a handsaw at 1000 yards in thick forest. An anvil? At least a mile.

jesus h christ, RTFM!!
    To the Thingmajigger!

Fact of the matter is Big Jay has plenty of prime gladed skiing as it is. If these guys were doing more than a little bit of limbing they were doing more than necessary. You really don't end up in court in the Northeast for cutting tree's unless you're overstepping what should be a common sense boundary.

Oops, Jer had something to say about this.

Quote Originally Posted by laseranimal View Post
    60 feet wide and 3/4 of a mile long

yeah like NOBODY was gonna notice that one

f-ing morons

bet the damn thing won't even hold snow

I'm almost certain it wasn't clear cut. It's most likely a 60 ft. wide glade, which are quite common.
    Last edited by awf170; 08-04-2007 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smolakian View Post
    60ft wide!
    They must be shitty skiers.
    yup. and they were probably gonna groom the hell out of it.

"Jay State Forest contains unique forest habitat above 3,000 feet in elevation, including breeding habitat for the endangered Bicknell’s Thrush and slow-growing trees, some over 90 years old."

I'm gonna have to stand behind the skiers on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by awf170 View Post
    I'm almost certain it was clear cut. It most likely a 60 ft. wide glade...
    It can't be both, genius.

Trying hard to stay in the present moment
    "The men allegedly cut the swath down the very steep slope with the intention of using it for back country downhill skiing, the department said in a press release."

I'll side with the trees and the law on this one.

One, these two losers just gave backcountry skiers a black eye.

Two, I thought part of the point of backcountry skiing was the whole "earn yer turns" thing. These guys sound like they were thinking about putting a lift in.

Three, I'll bet "very steep" is about 30 degrees, given the overestimate formula previously mentioned.

Four, how hard can it be to find an area where the trees are just a little bit thinner, so theycould ski between them?

Even if the swath is only 20 feet wide, it makes absolutely no sense at all that they had to cut there own special run into the side of a hill. Just additional proof that Darwin was in fact wrong, we are not evolving into a higher order species.
    Last edited by Steepdeepnlong; 08-03-2007 at 11:28 PM. Reason: 4 beers.
    Try to keep two ideas in your head at the same time without blowing your brains out your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Steepdeepnlong View Post
    TThese guys sound like they were thinking about putting a lift in.
    What? Where did you get that?

Four, how hard can it be to find an area where the trees are just a little bit thinner, so they could ski between them?
    I have no idea where you are from, but here in the east the answer is "pretty hard".

These guys were just thinning brush, I'm willing to bet.

On the positive side, the location has to be part of the public record and since it's already been gladed...

Quote Originally Posted by awf170 View Post
    I'm almost certain it was clear cut. It most likely a 60 ft. wide glade, which is quite common.
    Quite common where, @ okemo or some shit, That thrush is a close cousin to the VT State bird, the hermit trush, and thrushes kick ass. Both skier and thrush can co-exist, there is no reason to cut that many trees out (from what it sounds) unless you completly suck and have no clue what you're doing @ cutting or skiing.
    Last edited by PowStompper; 08-04-2007 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PowStompper View Post
    Quite common where, @ okemo or some shit, That thrush is a close cousin to the VT State bird, the hermit trush, and thrushes kick ass. Both skier and thrush can co-exist, there is no reason to cut that many trees out (from what it sounds) unless you completly suck and have no clue what you're doing @ cutting or skiing.
    i think the man meant to say NOT clear cut (i hope so anyway), as in they were in there thinning in a 60 foot wide section, NOT clear cutting it. believe it or not you can see parts of big jay from the road, and from other mountain tops that currently have lots of hikers going over them, and from small airplanes (of which there are more than a few up here). it would be impossible to cut a 60 foot wide section down to the stumps without someone seeing it. which brings me to my conclusion; thrushes suck anyway.

ps. i'm a little supprised the cops were so upset about a few trees, in the winter it seems like the primary mode of transportation in the NEK is snowmobile which, thanks to SNR's flame fests, we all know are evil

It's hard to believe that little bird can live to be over 90 years old!