Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Moment Skis: Jib, Rocker and Melee

A lot of people have been asking to see the Reno Jibs, Reno Rockers and Melee's. Here are some images so you all can check out the rocker profiles and graphics.

Melee:

Reno Rocker:
    base:

profile: (The rocker on the tail is the same since its a symmetrical park ski)

Reno Jib:

Those look pretty sick!! I can't quite tell from the pics, but are the edges a full wrap?
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

Quote Originally Posted by iggyskier View Post
    Those look pretty sick!! I can't quite tell from the pics, but are the edges a full wrap?
    The first Moment skis were full wrap edges but the ones pictured are not and the future skis will not be either. After a lot of testing we have found a new way of making our edges 3/4 wrap and allowing them to be stronger than the full wrap.

Quote Originally Posted by Melee View Post
    The first Moment skis were full wrap edges but the ones pictured are not and the future skis will not be either. After a lot of testing we have found a new way of making our edges 3/4 wrap and allowing them to be stronger than the full wrap.
    pretty cool. I imagine bending and attaching the edges to the base material with such a tight turn in the tips and tails would be a bit of a pain as well (if they aren't pre-bent).

Again, skis look awesome!
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

In the photo on their website on the 'about' page. the one that shows all the cores sitting on the shelf, you can see base material on top with edges applied that only come down to the length of the sidewall and then stop.

Is that how all of the skis are made?
    thank you for calling

So when are the first Comi Kazis going to be ready?

About to pull the trigger on the preorder.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Daddy like

Quote Originally Posted by iggyskier View Post
    pretty cool. I imagine bending and attaching the edges to the base material with such a tight turn in the tips and tails would be a bit of a pain as well (if they aren't pre-bent).

Again, skis look awesome!
    Thanks for the kind words.

We do bend our own edges and yes it is a pain with our square tips but that is not why we changed our edge style. The way that edges come from the factory and are layed up in a ski they act like a wedge if something hits them. So if you have a full wrap edge and the tip of your ski hits a tree, box, or rail the edge pushes in on the ski and makes small cracks which leads to water getting into the ski which then leads to delams. I know that a full wrap looks nice and pretty, but its just not as strong.

There are also other issues that come up do to full wrap edges on park skis specifically. Take a look at K2, its why they need rivets because their tips delam due to the full wrap. If you look at an Armada ski they solve this problem by making a 4 piece edge. It allows the tip to expand and contract when the tip gets slapped down after a huge air. K2's cant expand and contract as well thus resulting in a delam.

Shear forces add up when you slap your skis down against hard surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeHuckerSchmucker View Post
    In the photo on their website on the 'about' page. the one that shows all the cores sitting on the shelf, you can see base material on top with edges applied that only come down to the length of the sidewall and then stop.

Is that how all of the skis are made?
    The edge goes farther than the sidewall and the effective edge, up and into the curl of the tip and tail.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    So when are the first Comi Kazis going to be ready?

About to pull the trigger on the preorder.
    Comi-Kazi's are going to be done by the end of July.

Pull that trigger! Some have already sold. Limited quantities available for 07/08....

Heh.

Sweet looking boards, and I've yet to hear anything but praise about how they ski. Thanks for the pics.

<ponders new ski purchase vs. staying happily married>

Why the squared off tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Lexi-Bell View Post

Why the squared off tips?
    We do our square tips for a few reasons:
    1) To be different
    2) We think it looks cool
    3) Old racers used to do it to their skis with a file...helps reduce drag...take a look at downhill skis, almost no tip.
    4) We joke that it makes it easier to do nose and tail grabs.

Also, I just got this image via email....Melee's and pink Moment Beanie. Model not included.

^^ OK, she's hot. I'm thinking I'm ordering some Comi's for next season at Mammoth. Anyone want to buys some 190 esplosiv's w/ freeride 140's?
    Whoa, what you gotta say?? Whoa, girls turn 18 every day!!!
    --Vandals

^^^if you like 190 explosives, step up to the comi-kazi

Comi-Kazi's are going to be done by the end of July.

Pull that trigger! Some have already sold. Limited quantities available for 07/08....
    fucking sweet news.

the melee looks sick melee.

More pictures of our new model...this time with the Reno Jibs.

just out of curiosity, has anyone skied the rocker or melee and can give some feedback?

What ski was mr. orange riding at Kirkwood this spring? They looked about 110 under foot and versatile in the park.

We do bend our own edges and yes it is a pain with our square tips but that is not why we changed our edge style. The way that edges come from the factory and are layed up in a ski they act like a wedge if something hits them. So if you have a full wrap edge and the tip of your ski hits a tree, box, or rail the edge pushes in on the ski and makes small cracks which leads to water getting into the ski which then leads to delams. I know that a full wrap looks nice and pretty, but its just not as strong.

There are also other issues that come up do to full wrap edges on park skis specifically. Take a look at K2, its why they need rivets because their tips delam due to the full wrap. If you look at an Armada ski they solve this problem by making a 4 piece edge. It allows the tip to expand and contract when the tip gets slapped down after a huge air. K2's cant expand and contract as well thus resulting in a delam.

I dont want to argue your point, as I see where you are coming from...But Ive never ever delamed a K2 twin, (even long after my rivets fell out.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    What ski was mr. orange riding at Kirkwood this spring? They looked about 110 under foot and versatile in the park.
    The Ruby is 110 underfoot and a lot of guys at kwood use it in the park.

Quote Originally Posted by japollner View Post
    I dont want to argue your point, as I see where you are coming from...But Ive never ever delamed a K2 twin, (even long after my rivets fell out.)

It doesn't happen to every k2 that is ridden by every skier, but I honestly have seen it several times. I'm glad your k2's stayed together.

new graphics for the comis?

Nope dude..... The edges only act as a wedge if you are not properly installing them on the ski... You have to take into account the height of the edge flange when you are preparing our laminate scheme. I.E. that mm or so needs some place to go.... preferably you take it out of the core. Take a thicker hardbound book. I.E, a physics book and slam it down on a hard surface, pay attention to how the top covers moves relative to the bottom. The edges really dont have anything to do about it. The problem lies in the amount of sheer force that your resin system can handle.
    This is compounded by the inconsistnacys of your wet out when pressing.
    Last edited by Gunder; 06-30-2007 at 11:34 AM.