Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Road Kill - FUCK 'EM

Why the fuck (excuse the bad language, I know it is falling on virgin ears ) do 70% of the people that drive by me when I am on my road bike buzz me? Don't they realize that moving over 4 inches doesn't make a difference? Why don't they slow down when traffic is coming the other way and wait to drive by me? No, instead they rip by me going 60 almost killing me! Is something that urgent that you can slow down for 30 seconds, and respect your fellow human being?
    Fuckity fuck fuck. We are in VT, slow down - that is why we live here, for the slower paced life.

Rant over.

And the car full of guys this morning that beeped like maniacs, and hung out the window waving at me - didn't they realize that it scares the SHIT out of me and I almost dumped my bike? I know my rear assets are looking good these days, but COME ON!
    ‎"Powder snow skiing is not fun. It's life, fully lived, life lived in a blaze of reality." -Dolores LaChapelle

I have had drivers yell things like "get that toy off the roads" and "you belong on the sidewalk" and "grow up and drive a car."

Usually while passing close enough to brush me if they had 1 more coat of paint.

I've also watched as a friend ahead of me got a bag full of fast-food trash thrown at him by a truck full of male teenagers moving along at 55 mph or so.

I am always a fan of "why don't you put a motor on that thing?"

Someone needs to come up w/ a 007-style gadget to combat this. Maybe a pannier-mounted nail or paintball gun.

How about? "Get outta the road, thats how gophers get killed

People can develop intimate, romantic relationships with objects (beyond mere fetishism, which produces only short-term arousal), according to one of Germany's most renowned sexologists, Volkmar Sigusch, interviewed for a May report in Der Spiegel. A reporter claimed to find individuals infatuated with a Hammond organ (and who feared infidelity when a technician performed repairs), New York City's Twin Towers (whose lover bathed with a miniature version), and the Berlin Wall (which a woman ceremoniously "married" in 1979 and legally changed her name in acknowledgment). Sigusch said this objectophilia was another indication of society's increasing "neo-sexuality."
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

"Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

Its time for spike bike

Had a lady pull into a parking lot right infront of a NO ENTRY sign about running me over, then she had the nerve to yell back at me when I blasted her about paying more attention to the road than stuffing her fat face.

It occurred to me that roadbiking may consistently be the most life & limb threatening pursuit and offer the lowest exhiliration:risk ratio.
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Why do road cyclists insist on riding in the middle of the road? How come they don't slow down for high pedestrian traffic areas? How come they ride four abreast even when they know traffic is coming up behind them? How come they switch from pedestrian to vehicle any time it seems convienent for them? Can't they pick one and stick to it.......
    In my profession, I hear these questions constantly, and many of them are very warranted.

I understand some of the blatant moronic things done by motorists... but road cyclists (cyclists in general) aren't perfect angels either....
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Why do road cyclists insist on riding in the middle of the road? How come they don't slow down for high pedestrian traffic areas? How come they ride four abreast even when they know traffic is coming up behind them? How come they switch from pedestrian to vehicle any time it seems convienent for them? Can't they pick one and stick to it.......
    In my profession, I hear these questions constantly, and many of them are very warranted.

I understand some of the blatant moronic things done by motorists... but road cyclists (cyclists in general) aren't perfect angels either....
    That's true, but is it healthy to be in such a hurry that you're annoyed by having to slow down and go around those roadies?

Totally agree, but the risk to a car and driver from a cyclist being a self absorbed ass is almost nil, while the risk to the cyclist from a driver being a self absorbed ass is often serious injury or death.

Both should learn to respect others and be aware of their surroundings and of how their actions affect other people. However, one is more directly dangerous to others Pedestrian traffic is another topic and IMHO follows the same logic to the next level.

However, until laws and attitudes change, road cycling will have these risks, so I say either work with your law makers to get laws on the books and enforced, or accept things as they are and enjoy your ride despite the problem. If you are trying to rally the troops on the internet, great, take it the next step cause I sure don't have time, or the will, to do it. If not, you're just publicly bitching and moaning.

mmm bozeman.
    Home of 70mph speed limits and massive diesel trucks.

I've found that if anything, riding a foot or so into the lane from the white line makes people go around me rather than sitting on the white line and getting buzzed.

In town I take things into my own hands and do what I can to keep up with traffic.

Why the hate? I understand that some cyclists can be stupid, but I am very respectful of other people and drivers.

1) I was alone - not riding 4 wide.
    2) I obey all traffic signs.
    3) I don't ride in the middle of the road unless I have to.

And I was just expressing my frustrations. No need to justify why people driving can suck if you are on a bike. But I hear the point you are trying to make.
    ‎"Powder snow skiing is not fun. It's life, fully lived, life lived in a blaze of reality." -Dolores LaChapelle

It works wonders.
    Since then it's been a book you read in reverse, so you understand less as the pages turn.

The things you find on the net.

^^^Yep, cars hate that stuff.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpskier View Post
    Why the hate? I understand that some cyclists can be stupid, but I am very respectful of other people and drivers.

1) I was alone - not riding 4 wide.
    2) I obey all traffic signs.
    3) I don't ride in the middle of the road unless I have to.

And I was just expressing my frustrations. No need to justify why people driving can suck if you are on a bike. But I hear the point you are trying to make.

reread the last part of my post... I'm simply stating the anomosity and stupidity can and does go both ways. In my position, I hear both ends of it more than I'd like to admit and think about it really. I was really playing devils advocate. No hate, just saying.......
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

First off, unless there is a minimum speed limit or other ordinance, bicycles enjoy the EXACT rights of motorists...as in, they can go 10 miles an hour in the middle of the road, just as farm implements can. And motorists can technically only pass them in legal passing zones.
    That is the LAW unless stated otherwise.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    First off, unless there is a minimum speed limit or other ordinance, bicycles enjoy the EXACT rights of motorists...as in, they can go 10 miles an hour in the middle of the road, just as farm implements can. And motorists can technically only pass them in legal passing zones.
    Yeah, but let's get real. I often ride my mtb on the road, as well as go for urban thrash sessions downtown on my dirt jumper. I've also been hit by a car and was rendered a human asphalt missile one time. I've been riding like a maniac in urban environments since I was a kid. I consider myself a skilled rider and can bunnyhop 30 inches high.

Since I got bitchslapped by that truck I've developed a severe phobia of autos. I DO ride on the sidewalk given the opportunity. I stay as fucking far away from the cars as possible. I know that regardless of any law or penalties, an incursion between a bike and an auto is going to fuck up the rider. I never push the issue with cars, as irreverent as they may be. No amount of impudence on my part constitutes an invisible forcefield that will protect my mortal bag of meat.

When I'm driving an riders pull that shit like not riding as far to the side of the road as possible, I think "there's an asshole who's never been hit by a car." If he knew what it was like, he'd know it's not worth it to push the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by bio-smear View Post
    ... I consider myself a skilled rider and can bunnyhop 30 inches high.
    Prove it!
    On a private beach in Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post

rideit.. check your local laws... usually unless you are within 15 mph of the speed limit you are considered to be impeeding traffic (this varies in different areas). There are exemptions and areas where the law is not enforced...

And last time I checked, most bikes that this communtity would ride are not street legal.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

advres Guest
    I have no problem with bicyclists on the road. I am always generous with the amount of room I give them. The people I can't stand are the ones who insist on riding their bikes on the road when there is a brand new, perfectly paved bike path 20 feet off the road with lane markers that is 6 feet wide (This isn't your standard sidewalk I'm talking about here). We have these around Jackson and Teton Village. I mean when there is no bike path, great... but on the village road where the speed limit is 55mph, no extra space on the side lane AND a brand new bike path... I get a little irked. I ride the bike path, why the hell can't they?
    Last edited by advres; 06-28-2007 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtglider View Post
    Prove it!
    Get your cute little camera greased up and ready.

I hope that's not the only thing that is greased
    On a private beach in Michigan

"Get a car, hippy!"