REVIEW: Moment Comi and M1 (aka the Pinkos)

So after hearing much about Moment skis, I decided to contact them a few months back about trying to buy a pair. After several email exchanges and a few phone calls, Casey was crazy generous and shipped out a pair of the Comi's and the M1 to test on for the remainder of the season. Since there will be some changes to the Comi for next year, he wanted as much feedback as possible (hence demo day at A-Basin this past weekend and next Sunday to close it out).

First thoughts on the Comi were that it had a super super soft hand flex and that it can't be good on the crap that I'll find on the mountain this late in the game. Wrong on both accounts.

I'll just bypass what they felt like on Saturday since they clearly weren't tuned sharp enough and there was some wax on the edges and go straight to Monday's testing.

It's amazing how light the Comi's are for their size....I mean, REALLY light. And the ski a ton stiffer than their handflex. As you can imagine, there are extremely stable and are super fun slicing through slushy patches of snow and bumps. They are very easy to maneuver and turning doesn't require much energy. I haven't skied anything else similar in size, but I'll let ggski add his thoughts since he's been on the Fatypus Alotta.

To sum, the Comi's are super light megafat skis that can carve, are easy to maneuver, and will get you a ton of snickering comments about being on a waterski on snow. No powder was available, but they absolutely railed on everything but the super icy corn in the early morning. To improve, I would make it stiffer underfoot and add more to the 155cm effective edge (160 would be perfect).

Tester is 5'10", 220# with the 194 LP being the everyday ski.

Now onto the M1 which I will describe as "like a 194 LP but wider."

As you can see, the dimensions on both skis are pretty similar with the M1 having significantly greater sidewalls. I measured the M1 to be 132-106-122 at 191cm with a 160cm effective edge (the 194 LP is 124-97-116 with a 165cm effective edge).

Stiffness on both is pretty similar with the M1 being a tad softer in the tip. Again, on the ice and slush and everything but powder, these skis rip and make you want to haul ass in any condition. They are fairly easy to turn and are lighter compared to the LP.

Overall, I was very pleased with the M1 and if I already didn't have the LP, I would seriously consider it...or maybe I still will. A little more stiffness in the tip, and this ski will be solid.

tech talk.

edit: i am a jong, this IS tech talk. carry-on carry-on....where's my coffee?
    thank you for calling

I want some M1's whats happening to this pair ?? casey is bad at returning emails

Quote Originally Posted by bisnibble View Post
    I want some M1's whats happening to this pair ?? casey is bad at returning emails
    as far as i know thats the only pair on the planet right now.

My .02...

It is hard to do a straight up review since the only snow available is spring corn and mush...but, a few things were pretty clear:
    1. This is a fun soft snow ski...it gets into and out of the turns very easy
    2. The sidecut is on the money
    3. Construction appears to be burly (nice wide edges and no signs of delam
    on a ski that has obviously been ridden hard)
    4. The flex in the tip felt good but, underfoot to the tail needs some beefing
    5. It skis very short (180 Fatypus's ski significantly longer). The mount
    point seemed waaay forward and the tips and tails are excessively turned
    up. Another 5-10cm of effective edge would really help this ski.

Thanks for the hookup Nick...always fun trying new pow tools.
    Last edited by ggski; 05-29-2007 at 07:18 PM.

Thanks for the review nick, Sorry Bisnibble email me again if you want. new and 90% finished web site up june 1st

sunday

I need a good reason to NOT lay in the sun in Denver on Sunday...

Nick, I need to come up I think. End of season day? I would really like to try the Comi's to directly compare them to my 130's....

Nothing like the slush/corn testing of pow skis...

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    I need a good reason to NOT lay in the sun in Denver on Sunday...

Nick, I need to come up I think. End of season day? I would really like to try the Comi's to directly compare them to my 130's....

Nothing like the slush/corn testing of pow skis...
    If you have nothing brewing during the day on Saturday, there's a Janet Reno dance party on the rooftop of my friend's place on 19th and Pearl. Then we shred on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Pappagiorgio View Post
    If you have nothing brewing during the day on Saturday, there's a Janet Reno dance party on the rooftop of my friend's place on 19th and Pearl. Then we shred on Sunday.
    please do explain.

Quote Originally Posted by P_McPoser View Post
    please do explain.
    If the weather holds, rooftop bbq/party this Saturday from 1 pm until the beer and liquor runs out. Come if you're not doing anything. I'll even try to get boob-touching Kelly to do some Comi promo shots.

has anyone seen or skied the Melee or the Reno Rocker?

We are working on a new graphic for the M1 (a.k.a the Pinkos)
    What do you all think of this?

All input welcome.
    Thanks.

Squatch Guest
    Make it in a 195+ length and you could put giant dildos on it for all I care

s l o w pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Squatch View Post
    Make it in a 195+ length and you could put giant dildos on it for all I care

s l o w pitch

Sounds like we need to make a Squatch pro model.

I dig them...

Kind of remind me of the Scott P4, but I think that is only because of the retro colors...

I vote for the dildo graphic...

To be honest, I'd stick with some "flashy" colors for the first couple of years just for the fact that the skis will get noticed, and thus get people talking about them. A neutral/tan color ski blends in with all the other skis out there...but that's just my worthless opinion.

Looks pretty tame. I think the obnoxiously bright path might be best suited for reasons already stated. But I'm not one that focuses on what the topsheet looks like as long as it's not white.

Squatch Guest
    ok. the 196 sounds perfect. I want to order.

However, summer expenses are more pressing. How many do you plan to make? If you're doing pre-orders, will you set a cut-off date?

Just wondering whether I should think about these as an option or admit they're out of my financial/purchasing reach and just forget about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Squatch View Post
    ok. the 196 sounds perfect. I want to order.

However, summer expenses are more pressing. How many do you plan to make? If you're doing pre-orders, will you set a cut-off date?

Just wondering whether I should think about these as an option or admit they're out of my financial/purchasing reach and just forget about them.
    You shouldn't be skiing anything shorter than 300 cms dude. Your balls will shrivle from you being forced to ride women's skis.

Squatch Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by William Murderface View Post
    You shouldn't be skiing anything shorter than 300 cms dude. Your balls will shrivle from you being forced to ride women's skis.
    If you met me, you'd understand.

The graphics look good, your headed in the right direction. I really like the M1. Hey Nick, great reviews, how's that swallowtail ski coming? Have you or anyone you know tested it yet?

Peace

PS: I finally clicked on your video links( Best 49 minutes in cinematic history - part 1, 2 & 3) & I guess they have been removed, would you enlighten me as to where I might find them? I'm damn curious.
    Thanx!
    Last edited by altasnowbirdripper; 06-27-2007 at 06:52 AM.
    "If you are prepared for zombies, you are prepared for anything"

De Oppresso Liber

Last I heard on the Comi-Kazi a few weeks back (and I'm sure Melee has better info than me), it looks like it'll be ready around Jan/Feb.

Re videos...

Part 1:

Part 2 is no avail.

Part 3:

Quote Originally Posted by altasnowbirdripper View Post
    The graphics look good, your headed in the right direction. I really like the M1. Hey Nick, great reviews, how's that swallowtail ski coming? Have you or anyone you know tested it yet?

Peace

PS: I finally clicked on your video links( Best 49 minutes in cinematic history - part 1, 2 & 3) & I guess they have been removed, would you enlighten me as to where I might find them? I'm damn curious.
    Thanx!
    The swallowtail ski: The Comi-Kazi is still in the works. Its not going to be a major production run ski so we are focusing on the main line now. Our supply of Aspen for our cores is getting restocked this week so I am sure we will make some Comi-Kazi cores out of that to begin with.