Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

narrow fit Rando boot

Was wondering if anybody knew which rando boot(s) run narrow. I have a no volume Lange flipper, so narrow I can't even swim fast. Would like to get something a little lighter, easier to bc than the blue beast. I wear nine shell size 120 presently if you have anything used fsbo.

you're welcome to try on my dynafits as theyre a size 9 shell but I have a feeling they might be a tad wide.

when i tried them on, I felt scarpas were pretty narrow upfront and garmonts running somewhere in between them, but with a wider forefoot and narrower heel pocket. (from what I remember from trying them on for 15 mins a year ago)

i have a pretty narrow foot and have been happy with my dynafits, you should go try out pechelman's.

Yeah, pretty depressing, I'm in the same boat. Boys down at footworks in cham said the only solution was to go to the absolutely smallest shell (1 finger or less fit) and the use aftermarket 16mm therm liners. Maybe the new dynafit range for next year will be better?

No doubt - also less than happy with my bootwidth. I wish somebody made rando boots based on the same foot pattern as Lange's alpine boots. Cursed be my "green-bean" feet as my wife calls them - and to make matters worse, I've got a good 6-7 mm difference in length between right and left.

btw... Pechelman, who is the best boot fitter up in Denver?
    Last edited by Griz; 05-02-2007 at 03:20 PM.

Over the years, I have skied Scarpa, Dynafit, and Garmont AT boots. In my experience, form widest to narrowest, it was Dyna-Scarpa-Garont.

Quote Originally Posted by Griz View Post
    btw... Pechelman, who is the best boot fitter up in Denver?
    I don't want to speak for Pechelman, but try Larry the bootfitter in Boulder (303) 402-6733. He is the mang.

I ski Lange boots, and Garmonts fit me well, but down a half size.

Down a half size, damn I wear a ten street shoe, nine shell Lange. I'm not Asian, I don't have to bind my feet!

I have a pair of Raichle Concordias that fit great. For reference, I have the WC 130 with no mods for alpine, fit like a glove. Don't know if you can find them anywhere, they are pretty rare and old school. They are taller than the blue Denalis I had and ski and walk much better. With a stiff tongue, thermoliner, spoiler, and booster strap they are $$$, but pretty heavy.

I have tried garmonts and also own a pair of old school Dynafits, they are all way too wide for me, especially in the heel pocket. I keep thinking I will replace the Raichles, but keep going back to them since nothing else fits.

BTW, I size boots pretty small ~12.5 street shoe, ~28 ski boot

I have a wide foot. I recently tried Garmont and Scarpa boots and found the Garmonts too narrow for me. Scarpas fit much better. So from my recent experience, I'd suggest Garmont for you.

Weird, I find Garmont AT boots to be much roomier all around than Scarpas.

I have quite narrow feet, but a slightly wide heel, and my Scarpa Matrix are perfect up front, but a bit too tight on the side of the heels. The Garmonts feel more roomy to me - though I'm currently stuck with the Matrix.

FWIW, my friends with wider feet always complain about "how damn narrow" my Scarpas are when we switch up.
    "A local is just a dirtbag who can't get his shit together enough to travel."

- Owl Chapman

I've got a narrow heel and an average forefoot. My Scarpa Tornados just arrived yesterday and feel like they should be pretty spot on. Toe box is a bit large, but should be easily remedied with molding of the liners and a couple minor adjustments.
    I've got more suits than Liberace, but less than Eastvailhucker.

Quote Originally Posted by peterslovo View Post
    Weird, I find Garmont AT boots to be much roomier all around than Scarpas.

I have quite narrow feet, but a slightly wide heel, and my Scarpa Matrix are perfect up front, but a bit too tight on the side of the heels. The Garmonts feel more roomy to me - though I'm currently stuck with the Matrix.

FWIW, my friends with wider feet always complain about "how damn narrow" my Scarpas are when we switch up.
    ditto
    maybe its the certain models we've tried on or something.
    Maybe the liner?

Ive always felt that when I try on scarpas, my foot feels like its sitting "ontop" of the shell rather than "inside" it feels so narrow.

A friend of mine, who has similar feet aparantley, tried on scarpas and felt the same way after trying on garmonts. He now owns dynafit boots.

I have Lange feet and IMHO if you go with Scarpa's(which I did cause I get them proform) size down and punch something out if need be. I didn't size down and now mine feel like sloppy slippers, especially when skinning. I've lost both big-toe nails each season I have had them.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

My Langes are worn the hell out, maybe a dremel and some creative enginerding Pech? Then I'll just go buy some new lovely powder blues...I'll buy the booze.

find the inserts and we can make it happen
    lou's got a writeup on retrofitting dyna inserts into alpines as well (if you havent seen it)

Salomon pro model boots fit my feet and ankles like a glove. All the AT boots I've tried, a range of mid to light weight scarpa,garmont and dynafit, are all pretty roomy. Garmonts the best overall though.
    "Unfortunately, Meadows mgmt/marketing found out about the PR stash and published it on their trail map."

Echoing the sentiments here, there are no low-volume AT boots in existence right now. Scarpas are all wayyy too wide for me. Decent heel pocket, but the forefoot is just a vast cavern of wideness in most models (it does vary by model). I'm running the Crispi Diablo and though it is still wider than I'd like, I can at least ski it in comfort and some modicum of control on the descent. Garmont fit wasn't too bad but the liners ate my shins alive - I hate those liners. I haven't tried Dynafit but I've only heard they are the widest of all.

The garmont megaride/g-ride are the narrowest, lowest volume AT boots in my opinion. Their other models (adrenaline/endorphin) may be higher volume according to some people. Next years Dynafits are supposed to be similar fit to the megarides. Lee Lau is working on a review of them now.

i think people are confusing width and volume

in my experience, trying on dynafit freeride aeros, garmont megarides, and scarpa matrix\laser (i forget but it was a 3 buckle dyna compatible boot) here is what I remember

Dynafit
    Medium to High Volume (highest of the bunch)
    Large heel pocket (maybe the largest)
    Widest forefoot, lets call it a High Width

Garmont
    Medium width
    Medium volume
    Smallest heel pocket

Scarpa
    Narrower width (skiniest of the bunch)
    Medium-High Volume
    Generously sized heel pocket.

all of these were on stock, non formed, or boot fitted shells and liners.
    ymmv

bump. Same boat as everyone above. Any new info on AT boots for people with narrow feet? Especially one that is dynafit compatible...

Not that I've tried. Went with Radiums and 16mm liners last year, but just ended up feeling squidgy. Megarides seems to be a bit narrower for me, but it still a temporary solution
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

mini-blog post. There's lots of info/conflicting opinions on wildsnow about this.

Not sure if it's really "new" info at this point, but I've got skinny heels and a generally low volume foot. Tried on Factors, Methods, Skookum, whatever the orange Scarpa is, Zzero and Zzeus, Megarides, Axioms, and Radiums. I did 20+ minute walkarounds for all (some long enough to drive my girlfriend to leave the shops), with both feet in same boot and with different boots on each foot. Ended up w/the Radium which were, for me, the best combo of snugness throughout the foot, stiffness and weight.

Overall I'm really happy with the choice after ~3/4 of a season of touring and some lift served use. Obviously YRMV, but even after cooking, I ended up w/additional heel padding. The other obvious option would have been to size the shell down and then blow out the forefoot some, but I felt like gluing stuff onto the liner was a lot more reversible (i.e. could always try an Intuition later).

I think after a decent shell fit, there's so much that can be done by a good fitter that the key is finding someone who's patient and knowledgeable and willing to work with you over several rounds of fitting to dial things in. And then it's just $$$$ and which ugly color matches your steeze better.

interesting.
    i tried on some Dynafit Titans yesterday and they were really snug. i'm currently in a 26 Nordica Doberman Aggressor, which is a pretty low volume, narrow boot and the 26 Titan was really snug.

might have to check out the Radium, but out the box the Titan was pretty damn low-pro based on my experience with boots and having a fairly narrow foot and heel.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en