Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TR It's not over yet, Rila mtns, Bulgaria, 22.04

I've been reading TRs posted here for over a year now, I thought it's high time I post something myself.. though the snow wasn't much this season and it was really cold only for a few weeks in january and february,for the first time in many years I managed to get enough skiing and feel content.. This ski trip was supposed to be the season's end, but after seeing the amounts of snow that are still left up in the mountains in Bulgaria, and discovering the joys of spring skiing ( like laying ona grass field at 2400 meters, enjoying alpine views and soaking up the sun before the next coulior, instead of freezing my ass off and prayin the fog would go away)..well the season continues, until June probably

So here it goes..

We were going to the Rila mountains just 70 km from Sofia. Rila is the highest mountain range on the Balkan peninsula ( 3000 m) and it got the most snow this season. The area we were heading to - Maliovitsa - is one of the best places for backcountry skiing in Bulgaria, lots of steep slopes , couloirs, drops and powder just a few hours of hiking away from the hut at the base of the peak.. its the birthplace of mountain climbing and freeskiing in the country..
    Our goal was to climb up to the peak ( ~2700 m) and ski down one of the couloirs on the north face ..

the beginning of the tour, Maliovitsa peak is in the distance
    ( photos taken by me, Momchil and Damian)

one hour later we're at the Maliovitsa hut, where the real climbing starts.Though it was a Sunday the mountain was empty, the only people we met were a bunch of tourists trying to hike up to the peak in the snow and some old friends of Momchil touring the valley.. sweet.
    me and Damian going up towards the peak, Orlovets peak on the left

some random skiers we met on the way up :

taking a break before the last push to the summit :

All in all it took us about 4 hours to get from the parking to the summit, usually takes longer, but the snow conditions were perfect for touring... 3 months ago I was almost dead by the time we reached the middle of the trail to the summit, but that was my first day of ski touring ever, things changed a lot since then.

views from the summit:

the Rila monastery on the south side of the peak.. in good winters one can ski down to the gates of the monastery..

Momchil heading towards out line:

a couloir with 400-500 vertical drop down to the valley of Udrina river, followed by a short climb and another vertical 400 meters of skiing back to the hut.
    here's what the line looks like from above:

me and Damian checking out the entrance ( it was our first time skiing here so were a bit anxious and quite excited)

Momchil is showing us the way :

and then drops in:

The entrance is pretty narrow and steep, but snow is perfect - no crust or ice, firn with bits of powder from the snowfall a few days before we were there
    Damian in the upper part of the line:

me navigating the narrow sections:

last powder turns for this season ( probably):

Momchi's last turns in the coulir:

a view from below:

going up again, towards Malka Maliovitsa peak

enjoying the nice views :

so many lines, so little time left before snow is gone..

a line we skied a month ago , it's called kaminata ( the fire place) it's about 2 meters wide in its narrowest point:

By 5 pm we were at the entrance of the line that goes down directly to the hut.. sweet way to end the day :

the obligatory beer at the end of the day..

ze end

Ah yes, the Rila mountains, such a beautiful place! I think the monastery there is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen in my life! Nice TR! Looks like you guys could be skiing in the Rilas for a while more still!
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

Awesome!

I like this one a lot:

Nice TR. Keep posting 'em up.

cool.........
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Looked like a blast. Thanks for sharing!

My friend Laura left yesterday for Eastern Europe- looks like she should have brought her skis.

If you hadn't labeled where you were at, I might have assumed you were in Colorado judging by the dust layer that looks a lot like ours. Thanks for the TR

Gnartastic Vihren. That looks like a pretty sweet playground!

I like these...

Nice TR from a place I've never seen before. Looks alot like spring in Colorado, but with more vert and culture. Thanks.

What a crazy skintrack. Why not just stay on the ridge?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Wow. What a great first TR! Nicely done.

indeed, total homerun.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Love the exotic TR...

Nice TR!

Looks like there is some good terrain out there.
    I have never made it to Bulgaria (yet).

FKNA! thanks for that.

and i know the feeling about too many lines and too little time before the snow melts...
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Nice TR. I like the pictures of the couloirs. It looks like you guys have more snow than the rest of Europe. Has it been snowing lately? Will you really be able to tour until June over there? I'm jealous

la zapatilla, it's a bit of a stretch to say we will be touring and skiing the way we did during this trip in June, but I'm certain we will be able to catch some snow in one of those north facing couloirs... some friends of mine skied from Musala ( 2937m) last July, they claim it was one of the best runs of their lifes...I should try that out this year
    What a crazy skintrack. Why not just stay on the ridge?
    well.. that isn't a skin track actually, it's the descent of a guy who couldn't ski, but skinned up to the summit.. We met these guys on our way up, right before they had to descend that perfect face. Thy just couldn't ski!! They were doing the plow on the ridge, looking like they were about to crash , one of them actually took theis skis off before the descend, the guy who layed those tracks was the only one who could ski.. sort of... we weren't too sure if we should laugh or get really worried they won't make it to the bottom..

Quote Originally Posted by Vihren View Post
    well.. that isn't a skin track actually, it's the descent of a guy who couldn't ski, but skinned up to the summit.. We met these guys on our way up, right before they had to descend that perfect face. Thy just couldn't ski!! They were doing the plow on the ridge, looking like they were about to crash , one of them actually took theis skis off before the descend, the guy who layed those tracks was the only one who could ski.. sort of... we weren't too sure if we should laugh or get really worried they won't make it to the bottom..
    that's just too funny to be true; you are kidding, right?

that would be a strange thing to see in the backcounrty!

right on man, that is awesome that you're exploring the mountains of eastern europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Vihren View Post
    l
    Holy Shit. Thank got it was a stable pack, and thanks for the explanation. I just didn't even contemplate that as a possibility.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

The backcountry ski and snowboarding scene in bulgaria has exploded the past few years. Unfortunately not everyone posesses the knowledge, or indeed the humility necessary to avoid disaster in the mountains. Add to that the propensity to ridicule those who give advice instead of listening to them ("who are you to tell me how it's done?") and you get the picture.

Vihren and his friends from BEFSA are doing their best to educate people. They set up avalanche awareness courses, publish books and provide avalanche warnings and information on the web. The pictures are nice and all, but those guys are doing way more than just having fun in the mountains.

Kudos!

I love the spring stoke!

Beautiful mountains Vihren.

Especially when considering that Sofia is just a 2 hrs flight to get into that area should be on my to-do list next season.

Very nice.

Good work.

Nice photo.
    its the whisky talking

I'm glad you liked the photos! There are many more stories from this season, I should post some more..
    f2f is right, befsa is doing a lot to educate people on the dangers of backcountry skiing, actually Momchil from the TR is the guy who wrote the first avy-safety guide that has ever been published in Bulgaria , or at least in the last 20 years.
    You are all welcome to come and explore our mountains, there's a lot ot see, and hardly any people venture out from the resorts, let's just hope there will be more snow next season..

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Top notch