Dynafit Aero 4 vs Scarpa Spirit 4

I now have a few days on both (qite a few more on the dynafit but that's irelevent). I origionaly wanted the stiffest AT boot with dynafit - Hence the Aero 4. I switched to the Spirit after having 2 pairs fail on me - the vibram comes off around the inserts, a bad bathch, and they aren't making any more.

Skiing - The Aero skis like an alpine boot, no question it will push the biggest skis around with ease (188 supa stiff bros, 190 stockli stormrider dp). Slam foreward and the skis give not the boots. Not much feel, more concrete block than anythging.

The Spirit on the other hand skis like a stiff AT boot. Way stiffer than my old Lowa's or Lasers. But it does flex when you push hard. then again do so do most non race alpines. No problem pushing around 179 stiff bros in the bumps, but I think larger skis are going to be a bit more work. You do feel what the skis are doing rather well.

Walking - Alpines with a crappy walk mode with rounded vibram stuck on is how the Aero's feel. You clunk along not much better than those who don't have At boots. The climb and scramble fine, but the lack of feel is a bit of a pain.

The scarpa's come from a different planet. ok they don't hike as well as my leather mountaineering boots, but they are a step in that direction. Scrambling there fine. These feel like somone intended them to be walked in.

Skiining - not much in it. There is more swing in the walk mode of the scarpa. But then again I don't have any problems skining in Alpine Race boots either.

Both pairs had the same Pilau thermo liners in them. The Dynafit is 10mm longer in the outside of the shell!
    Knowledge is Powder

Are you using the stiff black tongue from the Tornados? Or just the stock tongue?

Your description then legitimizes this:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=78437

I had the choice between these two - my brief was beefiest dynafit compatible boot. Was going with the Aero but the walk mode was very inferior. I could tell just walking around in the shop. I went with the Spirit 4 and have been pretty impressed by comfort and skiability. I used them with my 186 Legend Pros and, while they were obviously softer than my alpine boots (Atomic R11s - 10 on the Atomic stiffness index), they still drove the ski OK. Not quite enough for me to use them full time, but pretty damn good. Haven't used them for any serious skinning but they should be comfortable enough. Time will tell on durability.

I'm a bit bigger than Tom, btw - 210lbs or so

edit: I have only used them with the stiff black tongue so far
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

I really have my fingers crossed that the Spirit 3/4 with the black stiff tongue and a booster strap they will be stiff enough as a ski everytihng boot.

I am 180 and ski a Nordica Beast 12's with a flex rating of 90.

My plan is one pair of boots for inbounds charging and touring. A pair of Watea's with alpine bindings for inbounds and another pair with Dynafits for all touring. I want my alpine and tour setup to feel exactly the same.

the zzeros look purty- but wonder if same issues will apply...
    Last edited by baseWeldr; 03-13-2007 at 07:28 AM.

Only skied with the black tounges. Gonna need some soft or short skis for the green ones.

The zzeroes I have seen do not have the same issues, but I think they are softer than the spirit 4. They look nice and very garmont in apearance.
    Knowledge is Powder

Quote Originally Posted by Idris View Post
    The zzeroes I have seen do not have the same issues, but I think they are softer than the spirit 4. They look nice and very garmont in apearance.
    this is the crucail zzzzero issue..... they have been designed by garmont people, they look like megarides.... do they add anything to megarides?

The carbon fiber exoskeleton have to make them at least more laterally stiffer than the Megarides.

Those in stores already Idris, or have you just seen them on sponsored/connected people out on the mountains?

I'm going to Chamonix in half a months time and plan to get some new AT boots. Was aiming for Spirit3/Megaride, I want the dynafit option and something around that weight (3.3ish kg/pair). Just hoping they have some stock in my size left when I arrive...

I've got a pair of Spirit 3's on hold at the shop right now. Thinking of using those with Dynafit binders on 188 "Soft Plus" Bros - Splat says its a soft, but slightly stiffer. I'd also be using them for BC snowboarding with Bomber TD2s with bails (I currently use Head Stratos Pro hard SB boots with Intec step-in heels on TD2s). The Spirit 3's felt soft enough to board in with the stock tongues and I thought I'd try the Tornado tongues for ski days.

Thoughts? I was just about to do a search on Dynafit TLT Vertical ST bindings to get some opinions. I like the light weight and general opinions (non maggot) I've heard so far are that they are sufficiently durable. I don't huck stuff anymore and set my alpine ski DIN around 8.5-9.

Quote Originally Posted by thd View Post
    Those in stores already Idris, or have you just seen them on sponsored/connected people out on the mountains?

I'm going to Chamonix in half a months time and plan to get some new AT boots. Was aiming for Spirit3/Megaride, I want the dynafit option and something around that weight (3.3ish kg/pair). Just hoping they have some stock in my size left when I arrive...
    The test pairs they sent to Footworks are the ones I've seen.

Should be stuff still in stock.
    Knowledge is Powder

I've got to try on the spirits again but I'm hoping spirits with a tornado tongue and a stiff intuition liner will be my super stiff superlight AT dynafit killer boot
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.