Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Saturday Morning Wildcat Dawn Patrol?

NOAA calling for 16" - 22" Friday at mt. Washington/Wildcat. Weather.com concuring with "Heavy Snow" all day Friday. I can't ski Friday, but would be interested in skinning up the Cat early Saturday morning to come off the top at dawn.

Takers?

Oh yah and

(antijinx)
    Fresh Tracks are the ultimate graffitti.
    Schmear

Set forth the pattern to succeed.
    Sam Kavanagh

Friends of Tuckerman Ravine

How early is early? I got that promo thingy to work at Attitash at 8:30 or so.
    I'm game if 1) it's within my time frame 2) we don't get blown off the mountain due to hurricane gale force winds (oh wait, this is Wildcat we're talkin here. Skip my gripe on #2).

Having no equipment to make it up, Ill be at Sunday River or Attitash or Wildcat around 745/8. Jim whats this promo thing at Atty? Oh and Ill be at JJ between 730 and 8 (friday night), so try not to close shop too early.
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    Having no equipment to make it up, Ill be at Sunday River or Attitash or Wildcat around 745/8. Jim whats this promo thing at Atty? Oh and Ill be at JJ between 730 and 8 (friday night), so try not to close shop too early.
    It's our Atomic/ customer apprecation/Daron Rahlves day. BBQ demos race stuff autograghs blahblahbla... Should be fun fith the snow and my new Thugs though!

The only thing for me is that I probably got to drive over from Maine in the morning and depending on conditions that could prove rough. How long do you think it will take to reach the summit? I've never skinned it.

Brock, I have two sets of skis with Freerides. What is your boot size?
    Schmear

Sam Kavanagh

1 hour if I remember.

I'm pretty slow to be honest so figure 1.5 to be fair. That being said what time would you suggest we meet to hit your schedule.
    Schmear

Sam Kavanagh

I dunno 0600 or so?

Sounds about right to me. Call it a date?
    Schmear

Sam Kavanagh

Actually, with you having to drive over from ME with the conditions and all, that would make for a damn early morning. Maybe I can't squeeze it in.

Edit: so you're cool with that time? cool!
    Last edited by trainnvain; 03-01-2007 at 08:54 AM. Reason: I was typing as you were responding

That is definately the rub. If I get fucked up somehow the time is definately short. I'll probably aim for that schedule anyways. If your there great if not maybe we'll drink a beer with Daron later...
    Schmear

Sam Kavanagh

Train, have you done Blackcap this year since the valentines day snowfall?
    Schmear

Sam Kavanagh

My boots are 334, Ill meet up if youve got the right size. 0600 is fine, then prob do attitash after for bbq/etc
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by H-man View Post
    Train, have you done Blackcap this year since the valentines day snowfall?
    Prolly too shallow a pitch for the snow density (although hurricane mtn rd would be nice on the sides)

Quote Originally Posted by trainnvain View Post
    Prolly too shallow a pitch for the snow density (although hurricane mtn rd would be nice on the sides)
    Agreed on the Hurricane thing.

Brock, we might have a connection on the boot size. Let me check when I get home tonight to be sure. I am pretty sure that I am like 330 +/- a mm or three. I have 190 Head Monster im85 that you could use with skins to fit.
    Schmear

Sam Kavanagh

I'll be up later tonight, pulled calf muscle last week but it is just about better now.. Hopefully riding the storm tomorrow.. http://www.erh.noaa.gov/forecast/Map...te=NH&site=GYX

/O.UPG.KGYX.WS.A.0004.070302T0300Z- 070303T0000Z/ /O.NEW.KGYX.WS.W. 0004.070302T0300Z-070303T0000Z/ NORTHERN OXFORD-NORTHERN FRANKLIN- CENTRAL SOMERSET- SOUTHERN OXFORD- SOUTHERN FRANKLIN-SOUTHERN SOMERSET- INTERIOR YORK- INTERIOR CUMBERLAND- ANDROSCOGGIN-KENNEBEC-INTERIOR WALDO- COASTAL YORK-COASTAL CUMBERLAND- SAGADAHOC-LINCOLN-KNOX- COASTAL WALDO- NORTHERN COOS-SOUTHERN COOS-NORTHERN GRAFTON- NORTHERN CARROLL-SOUTHERN GRAFTON-SOUTHERN CARROLL-SULLIVAN- MERRIMACK-BELKNAP-STRAFFORD-INTERIOR ROCKINGHAM- COASTAL ROCKINGHAM- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ANDOVER... BYRON...MIDDLE DAM... ROXBURY...SOUTH ARM...UPTON...WILSONS MILLS...AVON... CARRABASSETT VALLEY...COBURN GORE... DALLAS...DAVIS...EUSTIS... KINGFIELD... BINGHAM...RUMFORD...NORWAY...SOUTH PARIS...MEXICO... FRYEBURG...OXFORD... FARMINGTON...WILTON...SKOWHEGAN... PITTSFIELD...MADISON...FAIRFIELD... NORTH WINDHAM...GORHAM... BRIDGTON... LEWISTON...AUBURN...AUGUSTA... WATERVILLE...WINSLOW... GARDINER... UNITY...BIDDEFORD...SACO...OLD ORCHARD BEACH... PORTLAND...SOUTH PORTLAND... WESTBROOK...BATH...TOPSHAM... WALDOBORO...BOOTHBAY HARBOR... WISCASSET...ROCKLAND...CAMDEN... THOMASTON...BELFAST...LITTLETON... NORTH CONWAY...CONWAY... LEBANON... HANOVER...PLYMOUTH...WOLFEBORO... CLAREMONT...NEWPORT... CONCORD... LACONIA...TILTON-NORTHFIELD... MEREDITH...ROCHESTER... DOVER... DURHAM...DERRY...LONDONDERRY... EXETER...PORTSMOUTH... HAMPTON 546 AM EST THU MAR 1 2007

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO 7 PM EST FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAY HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO 7 PM EST FRIDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

TOTAL STORM SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS WILL RANGE FROM 1 TO 2 FEET ACROSS THE MOUNTAINS AND FOOTHILLS OF MAINE AND NEW HAMPSHIRE...8 TO 15 INCHES ACROSS THE CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN INTERIOR OF MAINE AND NEW HAMPSHIRE...AND 4 TO 10 INCHES ALONG THE IMMEDIATE COAST OF MAINE AND NEW HAMPSHIRE LATE TONIGHT AND FRIDAY.

TRAVEL MAY BE NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE DURING THE HEIGHT OF THE STORM AND SIGNIFICANT DELAYS OF TRANSPORTATION OF ALL TYPES IS LIKELY. HEAVY SNOW WILL QUICKLY ACCUMULATE ON ROADWAYS AND SIGNIFICANTLY HAMPER TRAVEL. SOME SECONDARY ROADS MAY BE UNTREATED. THOSE THAT HAVE TO BE OUT ON THE ROADS WILL NEED TO USE EXTREME CAUTION AND ALLOW PLENTY OF EXTRA TIME.

PLEASE REPORT SNOW OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BY CALLING TOLL FREE...1-877- 633-6772...WHEN YOU CAN DO SO SAFELY.
    Last edited by DaveTV; 03-01-2007 at 10:05 AM.

I get a woody reading that weather report

Sounds good H, let me know, Ill be leaving work around 430 tomorrow- earlier if it really is snowing badly in NH
    Decisions Decisions

H- Shouldn't you be home working on a TR full of fart bags???
    He who has the most fun wins!

Depending on conditions, I may be at the River 745ish. My only concern is that any fresh snow tends to get slayed quickly there, so it may be a skinning sunrise.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Depending on conditions, I may be at the River 745ish. My only concern is that any fresh snow tends to get slayed quickly there, so it may be a skinning sunrise.
    Yes but the timing of this will keep a lot of weekend warriors from getting up Fri eve

on the pointy end, calling the line, swearing my fucking ass off
    At this very moment, I don't like any of you.
    The only thing worse than the feeling that you are going to die is the realization that you probably won't.

H-man,

Headin out on OB on Monday and have a full weekend of gear issue and meetings. I'd love to join, but will be skinning up Tenney tomorrow morning, late afternoon and Saturday morning (dawn patrol on Tenney ) to get the fix in. Def. give yourself an 1.5 hr for the skin up the cat...next time!
    "I'm on the High-T and all I need is a little gravity to bring me back...back to the fringe"

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    H- Shouldn't you be home working on a TR full of fart bags???
    Tried that last night but Biglines was not cooperating...

And come on, after almost a month in Austria with no powder to speak of, don't I deserve a little love? I didn't buy the Squads for hardpack.
    Schmear

Sam Kavanagh

Quote Originally Posted by ECbum View Post
    H-man,

Headin out on OB on Monday and have a full weekend of gear issue and meetings. I'd love to join, but will be skinning up Tenney tomorrow morning, late afternoon and Saturday morning (dawn patrol on Tenney ) to get the fix in. Def. give yourself an 1.5 hr for the skin up the cat...next time!
    Old and fat like me, I'll take the 1.5hrs.

OB, wow that brings back memories. We walked out the front door of Holderness and over the summit of Mooselauk (sp). Our group did 72 miles on foot in the winter in those 10 days. Actually 7 days when you take out the three days of solo. Sent two people back for frostbite if I recall. I remember carrying the rescue sled the entire way and cursing my ass off. Leather mittens soaked with sweat, then breaking the treeline on Moosi with my thumbs in the pack straps. The mittens froze solid and I couldn't get my hands off the pack until we summited and made it back down to treeline so they would thaw.

Good times. God did we stink... Have a blast.
    Last edited by H-man; 03-25-2007 at 06:13 PM.
    Schmear

Sam Kavanagh

staying in the valley Sat, H?