Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Jackson Death- To clear some things up

Several friends and I from Boulder have been here in Jackson this week filming. We met up with some Jackson friends to ski and film with.

There have been roughly 14 inches of new snow here in Jackson in the past 2days- just enough to bring to base depth up to par for 3 of my friends to think about launching fat bastard in the Jackson backcountry.

Avi danger today was listed as considerable. Because of avi conditions, I stayed in bounds with 2 others. Several of my friends did go out of bounds to shoot a potential Fat Bastard drop. Two of my Boulder friends and a Jackson friend were standing above Fat Bastard while others were off to the side in preparation to film. Only Justin, the Jackson friend, had decided he was going to send it. Just before the drop countdown was about to be called a slide ripped out up above the 3. Justin saw the slide first and immediately sent the air, probably because he wagered that this would help him avoid rocks at the base. The two others, Joel and Josh, were carried over the cliff by the slide before the could react.

Upon landing, the slide caught Justin and tumbled and burried him. Joel and Josh were carried over the cliff but miraculously ended up only partially burried and unhurt. They were able to dig themselves out. Everyone on scene immediately began to follow rescue protocol. There were a few people on scene not from our group who were a great help. Justin was located and unburried within a few minutes.

At this point, I don't want to give details of the exact injuries to Justin. It is just to hard to talk about. He did die from trauma.

Everyone involved was experienced. Justin is a Jackson local. Josh used to be a local. One of those involved is an avalanche instructor. Like I said in the other thread, a lack of experience or knowledge of the area was not a factor.

It is also important to note that we believe the slide to be natural as no one was moving when it broke loose and it broke loose a significant diestance above where anyone had been.

The finality of the situation has yet to set in for me. Two days ago I skied the traverse below fat bastard that was in the slide path today. I took a few in bounds runs with Justin today. Now he is dead.

Justin was a great skier and a great person. He will be missed.

Prays and positive vibes for his family would be good. Everybody stay safe out there.

Kevo,

Condolences at this difficult time for you.

Thanks for providing insight. Any information in these accidents can hopefully help educate others or increase awareness. Thanks for providing that.

Man, that is rough. Condolences for everyone involved.

Really Sorry Kevin. Positive Vibes to his family and friends. +++++++++++++++
    Seriously, this can’t turn into yet another ON3P thread....

Kevo. +++ vibes +++

That's a real scary story. Sounds like everyone did all they could.

RIP Justin.

wow. words will not be of any solace to you, your friends or Justin's family right now...but I would like to say that I wish all of you good things and my thoughts are with all of you tonight. as a fellow skier, we can all relate.....stay strong

Thanks for sharing this with us Kevo, Im sorry.

My thoughts with Justin, his family and all involved.

stay safe

Sorry for your loss... Thoughts are with everyone in Jackson, his friends, family, the community as a whole...

Ride in peace, Justin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    So there I was McGoverning down the mountain but I McConkeyed the hell out of a Morrison and landed on my Harrisons. Just then I Skogened off a Tuffelmire but hit my McMurray into a Holmes. As I came to the Burke I Steele Spenced over a Moles and stopped on a Krietler. Then I saw Gaffney, and then two Gaffneys, but they Moseleyed me into a Hall. So I said, "Pep!!" and Saged on out of that Thovex.
    Poetry, on motion.

There is nothing I can write to express my condolences.
    Peace.

Wow, that's sad.

Sorry for your loss. I'm sorry you had the experience.
    Last edited by Bullet; 01-05-2007 at 09:16 PM.

So sorry to hear about this. Thanks for the clear description of events Kevo, you guys will all be in my thoughts.

I heard about the avalanche when I came back from my ski break today. Hearing the details certainly doesn't make it easier to deal with. I am incredibly sorry to hear about your loss. I wish there was something more meaningful I could say, but all I can do is wish that you and Justin's family and friends find the strength to make it through this. Be strong and everyone stay safe out there.

RIP

Sadness

+++++ vibes

moustache
    Ced T-F

Sorry to hear about this. My thoughts are with his family and friends. Thanks for writing about it as it can be a learning experience for others.

Terrible story man.

I feel for you.

I'm so sorry.

I lost a friend in a slide last year while she was checking a weather plot - her sled 10m away wasn't touched. It too was a freak avalanche. Avalanches are always trajedies but when questions of causality are unanswerable it becomes all the harder to bear. I empathise with what the pain you are going throught.

Oh No. I know a few Justins here in town. Prayers are out.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Powerful shit man, not sure how you summoned the stregnth to write that. Best to you, his friends & family. Hopefully the last of the year.

Man that just sucks, sounds like you guys were doing everything right, condolences and ~~~~~~+++++++~~~~~~
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Damn, positive vibes to you, everyone involved, his family and the Jackson community.
    +++++++++++++vibes++++++++++++=

sucks.((+)) peace to those close to it...
    nasty layers in the nrthrn rockies? buddy of mine had a close call too...
    scary
    Last edited by baseWeldr; 01-06-2007 at 02:27 PM.

Condolences to all affected.
    Calmer than you dude