Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

BD Kilowatt Review????

Anyone ski the new Kilowatts from BD? Just wondering...Sounds like a great ski but maybe not??? Thanks for any insights.

Wondering the same thing.

in the silverton tr that just was posted, the guy said his friend demo'd them and was super pissed because the tips kept diving

thats all ive read

Lou Dawson has a very brief review here.

Look on telemarktips.com forums. I remember seeing a pretty big tread about them and how they compare to atomics, havoc, and verdict.

Anybody skiing this? I badly need a new AT ski. Looking for something lightish weight, but not too light (i.e. something fun on the way down).

Help a brotha out?
    Last edited by FreakofSnow; 01-23-2007 at 05:32 PM.

I just read a blurb in Skier (I think it was Skier...Skiing maybe?) that the Kilowatt is supposed to be a softer alternative to the Verdict. I hope this is not the case, as I am interested in the ski based on the dimensions and construction.

Quote Originally Posted by bio-smear View Post
    I just read a blurb in Skier (I think it was Skier...Skiing maybe?) that the Kilowatt is supposed to be a softer alternative to the Verdict. I hope this is not the case, as I am interested in the ski based on the dimensions and construction.
    Yeah, I don't think thats the case. Just from flexing them in the shop the Verdict was softer, especially in the shovel and tail. The kilowatt seemed to have a well rounded uniform flex.

I dropped the bomb on them and they'll be mounted up w/ some freerides this week.

Any ideas on mounting point?

I will be surprised if they are stiffer than the verdicts too. BD softened the new verdicts because too many folks whined how stiff they were - one of the greatest attributes in my opinion. You may want to consider mounting the binding back of centerline a bit. I'm on 180 verdicts mounted centerline and they feel a bit short in the tip and long in the tooth.....I mean tail. But I really should've bought the 190's - so it may just be a length issue with me.

Looking forward to your review.

Almost certain that they are significantly softer and turnier than the verdicts.

when i rode them they were too soft for my taste and floppy thru the crud. we don't have powder so i wouldn't know about tip dive. they kind of make you want to ride park. they did make me appreciate the skis i'm on even more.

edit: just to clarify, they are softer than the original verdict by quite a bit. light skiers could get away with this one. the flex is rounded somewhat but the tail is super mushy.
    Last edited by AltaPowderDaze; 01-23-2007 at 10:01 AM.

Not to derail the thread but my wife is 150lbs and is looking at Verdicts. She skied the 170s without a pack and liked it. If she usually carries a 20 lb pack, would she better off on a 180 Verdict.

She's an aggressive but precise skier mainly in the Vancouver/Whistler/Selkirks area

lee,

i don't know about the new verdict but the old one was stiff enough that a 180 would be all i needed for touring. resort i might consider the 190. they seemed to be more true to the size due to the longer running length. the new ones may be soft enough for her to go longer.

fyi, they guy i know that has the next years verdict now says it's his favorite tele ski now. he's about 6'2" and 190ish, riding the 180.

Quote Originally Posted by AltaPowderDaze View Post
    when i rode them they were too soft for my taste and floppy thru the crud. we don't have powder so i wouldn't know about tip dive. they kind of make you want to ride park. they did make me appreciate the skis i'm on even more.

edit: just to clarify, they are softer than the original verdict by quite a bit. light skiers could get away with this one. the flex is rounded somewhat but the tail is super mushy.
    Huh , no offense but I hope you are wrong. As I saw in you below post, you might be comparing last years Verdicts. I flexed them side by side and by that very scientific test, I found the Verdict to be softer.

I'm sitting at 5'10" and ~190 so I opted for the 185, hope that holds up to the crud etc better than your experience. Also mounted 0.5cm back from midboot line.

Hope to get out them this week, I'll report my findings.

I emailed Black D too, see what they have to say on official stats.

Why does a touring ski need to do well in crud??
    I love big dumps.

thx for the input on the Verdicts. I'm going to get her to demo them herself.

Quote Originally Posted by powpowpowderwheels View Post
    for those that tour and don't just meadow skip.

spring touring often gives you all conditions. i like my skis to perform well no matter where i go. selecting your route based on the skis on your feet sucks. that's why i stick with a ski that does it all well.

edit: besides, i don't think anyone here said they were lookin for a ski solely for touring.
    Last edited by AltaPowderDaze; 01-24-2007 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by powpowpowderwheels View Post
    Yep, I don't do much "touring", pretty much keep my missions to slaying powder.

Here is a direct quote from Black Diamond:

Thank you for checking in with us. The Kilowatt is a softer flex
    longitudinally and torsionally than the current Verdict. It is also softer
    in the same regard when compared to next year’s Verdict. The Kilowatt was
    designed to be very easy to ski and have the versatility to get around all
    parts of the mountain.

The Verdict has always been a bit of a wide, new school generation GS ski.
    The torsional stiffness on the Verdict remains higher than any of our other
    skis and offers excellent performance at really high speeds and energy
    levels.

I hope this offer a better explanation. Please let us know if you have any
    further questions.

Regards,
    XXXXXXXXX

Freakofsnow.

Any review on the Kilowatts yet? Inquiring minds want to know. I don't trust those tele hippies as I'm interested in how it skis AT.

I just mounted some kilowatts with comforts. I have used them two days, but most of that has been touring with very few real turns. They tour very well, needless to say much better than my gotamas or pocket rockets with freerides. I really can't say too much about their skiing. On windpacked hard snow they seemed great, but it was only for a few turns. Skiing very low angle, pop through the windcrust stuff i went over the front once, but it was also very tricky conditions. I'll try to get some more info up after i ski them a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by FreakofSnow View Post
    Anybody skiing this? I badly need a new AT ski. Looking for something lightish weight, but not too light (i.e. something fun on the way down).

Help a brotha out?
    How about some $199 AntiPiste?

I have a pair being mounted with hammerheads today...

The Ski:
    185cm Black Diamond Kilowatt
    Dimensions: 127/95/115mm
    Turn Radius: 24.5
    Core Material: Wood core is CNC-3D-machined, then wrapped in torsion box construction
    Tail: Raised
    Weight: 7.8lbs/3.5kg
    Bindings: Freerides
    Boots: 3-4 year old Scarpa Denali's (w/ Booster straps)

Other things: A 110mm skin works perfectly for this ski.

Mounted 05.cm back from their mid line

Me:
    5'10"
    190 pounds
    20 years rippin'

Conditions skied thus far:
    Hardpack
    Powder
    Crud
    Bumps

I have 2 days of touring and skiing on these pups, so I can offer up what I have experienced so far. The ski is pretty light weight at ~8lbs per pair, so for me it is a great improvement over the XXX’s I was on for a few years. The ski when hand flexed seems to have a nice even flex.

Skied them in boot to knee deep pow, they responded well and floated very well. I was able to open up large radius turns and feel very stable. They also felt snappy in the tight trees. As for being soft or stiff, I would rate them as an medium flex ski, not too soft but not too stiff.

On groomers they could be railed on edge even with my Denali’s. At high speeds on the groomer, there was a bit of chatter, but not bad. In the chop they held up well, busting through without issue. It felt like it had some power behind it but was nimble at the same time.

All in all I think this is a great backcountry ski. I personally wouldn’t want to ski it every day at the resort as I prefer skis with a bit more beef. But when used for AT in the slack and backcountry I think it will perform very well.

Last edited by FreakofSnow; 02-08-2007 at 11:11 AM.

Anymore days you could tell us about on these skis? I am eyeing these hard for next season.

one of the BD reps was at our ski area last weekend. I got there late after a tour and did not get to try them but they felt great in my hands...nice even flex and definitely not too soft. the rep was 6'3" and 190 and said he was skiing the 175 which I thought was weird, I can't imagine going with the 175. Any additional insights would be great.

I got mine out on Tuesday. I was disappointed to find that they chattered at high speed on hardpack, because I thought they felt pretty stiff, too. They are less stable than my R:EX's. They were pretty sweet in soft snow, though. Shorter turning radius than I'm accustomed to, also.