Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Peectures from Utah (Virgin area & Moab)

don't have time to write up a whole proper summary of our trip. But myself, arty, lph recently made a jaunt to Utah to spend a few days mountain biking near Virgin, UT and then we roadtripped it over to Moab for the second half of the week to meet up with watersnowdirt, Mrs. Shoe, Mr. & Mrs. Altagirl, and even Yentna & Ski Monkey made an appearance (whom I didn't get to ride with unfortunately).

Anyway, here are a few of the better pics from the Virgin half of the trip I had on my camera. My batteries eventually died so this was all I was able to get, but Arty and LPH definitely have a bunch more....get 'em up here slackers!!

ok...here some pics.

LPH on the very first little drop we found on our trip. South Rim Trail, Gooseberry Mesa.

ARTY on the same drop.

ARTY rolling through some slickrock

LPH airing it out on Little Creek Mesa (or was it Gooseberry...can't remember). Arty hit this same one, but that's when my batteries died. bummer.

Now post up the rest of the pics guys!
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Wait, so you went on an almost weeklong biking trip and you only had enough battery for a few pictures? Rookie.

And we want to see the pics from the real Virgin riding at the Red Bull venues. This quasi xc crap just won't suffice.

(bummed I missed out on riding with you guys)(and nice pics!)

Quote Originally Posted by CS View Post
    Wait, so you went on an almost weeklong biking trip and you only had enough battery for a few pictures? Rookie.
    yes
    One Gear, Two Planks

We need to start sending lph of some 20 footers. I've never seen anyone look so casual while dropping off a ledge. What is that a 3 martini line?

MORE MORE MORE!!!!

And also JEALOUS
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Thumbs up

yeah! nice stuff. looking forward to the rest.

Day 2 Hurricane Rim

A boring XC trail made interesting by our good friend Arty.

Arty

Shoe

Shoe

Shoe

Shoe

The first of the "OH SHIIIIIIIIIIT!" sequences. Thanks, Arty.

Arty comes back strong.

Thumbs up

Now that's what we're talking about! Thanks for the carnage Arty. Remember man, speed is your friend, speed is your friend.

Now give us more and more!!

Wow so glad I am taking my bike with me to SLC. You guys rocks. I would take that 'boring" XC trail any day.

YES! gotta love the "oh shit!" sequences!!
    One Gear, Two Planks

Day 3 Little Creek

I have only two pics, both taken in the parking lot, Arty has many more.

Shoe getting warmed up.

Shoe cooling down with a beer at the end of the day. Yes, this is the parking area, a playground itself.

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    A boring XC trail made interesting by our good friend Arty.

Shoe
    Fucking xc trails...this looks like absolute torture!

Day 4 Trail 'X'

Super fun, pedaling technical trail with some cool features and technical lines, it leads to Trail 'Y' and eventually to Grand View Mesa Trail.

Arty gets things started.

Shoe on a fun 3 foot 'mandatory air'.

Shoe

Shoe

As I was scrolling down, I saw this first and saw the destruction written all over it. Weight forward and compressed without any sign of extending the body to get the front wheel up off the edge.
    No, I haven't done any drops that size, but dude, that musta hurt. And, it's a good thing you've got a beefy fork.
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

Nice pics yall, sorry I missed you. Great to see the ole' blue Bullit still going strong

Day 4 Trail 'Y'

Arty (CS and Kid, we really tried to figure out a way to try and air this line, but couldn't get the speed up enough going into it.)

Shoe, same line.

Arty on tight technical line, yup he nailed it.

"OH SHIIIIT!" sequence number 2. It was hard to photograph this line to show just how gnarly and hi consequence it is. It is called 'Shark Fin' or something like that.

Things start to go bad for Arty.

We all took our fair share of abuse on this ride.

Looks like I picked the wrong day to switch from forearm/elbow armour to just elbow armour. No pics of the carnage, but not only did i go endo, i also fell off the line to hit more rocks off the left side.

Shoe hits a kicker. "OH SHIIIIT!"

Trail 'Y' has this cool little rock bridge through the desert. Must be 300 feet long, none of us had the skills, though Shoe gave it a pretty good try.

Last edited by lph; 10-18-2006 at 11:11 AM.

I didn't state this before, but damn that whole trip looks like it was a hell of a lot of fun.
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

these pics are great! Some serious crashes! So glad you guys were still in one piece when we met up with you in Moab. Looks like some good fun was had!
    “Within this furnace of fear, my passion for life burns fiercely. I have consumed all evil. I have overcome my doubt. I am the fire.”

WE WANT...

CARNAGE!!!

WE WANT...

CARNAGE!!!

WE WANT...

CARNAGE!!!

Edit: He posted more!!!

All I see is little red x's at work, but I can guess what that first sequence is from.

I will admit to rolling it a little slowly, but my speed wasn't too bad. I had a couple of issues with that air. First, my head wasn't in it (actually if you saw my helmet post crash, you could say my head was in it ) in no small part due to the fact I hadn't gone that big before. But like all my other recent air attempts, it took a good casing for me to realize that I'm invincible and can go HUUUUUGE (yes, I realize I'm going to die now). Also it was a steep run-in to a flat transition on the take off. I really need to work on hitting takeoff transitions better. I'm 50/50 and this was the bad 50. I'm much better with flat run-ins right now.

And I totally agree, kidwoo. We need to shove lph off some bigger stuff. He looks so damn casual on those airs. The man defines style.

I was running through my pics last night and have some good stuff. So more pics to follow later tonight.

Highlights from pics to come:
    Lph killing it as usual.
    "Hey, aren't you the guy..."
    Last edited by Arty50; 10-18-2006 at 11:07 AM.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

CS and Kid, we really tried to figure out a way to try and air this line, but couldn't get the speed up enough going into it.
    Rocket pack.

Mine's in the mail.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I love that trail. And a fall off "Shark Fin" would hurt.

Don't be too harsh on Arty, there are still several days of riding and hucking ahead of us, and he steps it up big time and gets the crowds cheering.

Yes, it was a fun trip.

There was one air in particular that would have been bigger for me, planned on hitting it after ride #2 on day 4, but ended up being too tired and sore to get motivated. Oh well, there are other airs. Nonetheless, Arty hit it and made it look easy.

Day 4 Grand View Mesa Trail

For those who have done it needs no explanation, for those who haven't it is a uber technical single track rocky exposed descent from the Mesa down to an ancient cemetary. The main trail gives views of alot of absolutely insane 'optional descents' which are not for mortals. Pictures don't do justice of the main trail. It is tough.

Shoe

Arty

I think Shoe is in there somewhere

Arty

Shoe

Once at the bottom, Arty goes off!!!!

Last edited by lph; 10-18-2006 at 11:37 AM.

Arty "PULL UP PULL UP PULL UP...OH SHIT"

Bike "DIVE DIVE DIVE...I'll show you my new submarine technique"

Looks like a fun trip.

Lph -- It's called "Grafton Mesa Trail", not "Grand View". That trail kicked my ass royally and made me realize how much I suck on a bike. I need to get back there someday.
    One Gear, Two Planks

great pics, great carnage
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I will have another beer!