Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Philly Cheese Steaks in Salt Lake

Before you wonder, "yes" this does belong in tech talk. Because there are lots of ways to make a philly cheese steak, but only a few ways to do it properly. But bottom line anyone know some good philly cheese steak shops in Salt Lake. I ran across some info on "Moochies", but that is about it. And after the serious let down I had at Lumpys while ordering a Philly Cheese Steak, I am dire need of a good one. I did find a recipe online from "Pats" and if all else fails, I will "freehand" one myself
    "I dont hike.... my legs are too heavy"

If you're not using Whiz, it ain't a Philly steak.

And I'm a Pat's guy, for the record.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    If you're not using Whiz, it ain't a Philly steak.

And I'm a Pat's guy, for the record.
    I couldnt agree more about the importance of processed cheese product. As for Pats, I kind of preferred Gino's, but either one of them kicks ass over what I have found here at home

I'll trade you proximity to Pats/Ginos for proximity to sick skiing any day of the week. A vote in favor of Pats over Ginos. Unfortunately I have no beta on SLC cheesesteaks, but I would imagine access to quality bread is as much if not more of a problem than finding someone that knows how to prepare it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
    I'll trade you proximity to Pats/Ginos for proximity to sick skiing any day of the week. A vote in favor of Pats over Ginos. Unfortunately I have no beta on SLC cheesesteaks, but I would imagine access to quality bread is as much if not more of a problem than finding someone that knows how to prepare it for you.
    Hate to tell you, but there is no skiing here right now. So how bout sending some good food this way? But the bread isnt the problem. Mormons rock at baking

As I sit here in downtown Philly, I gotta say, Pat's and Gino's flat out suck.Neither of those goomba's knows how to make a steak

Quality steak sandwiches are found at Jim's at 4th and South or for the very best, Dalesandro's on Henry Ave.

For the record, Jim's has shipped pretty much everywhere in the lower 48

Oh and for me, it's a provolone cheese steak w/sweet peppers thank you.

Slightly off topic - but Musumeci's on State btw 2nd & 3rd has a good meatball sub.

Quote Originally Posted by mrw View Post
    For the record, Jim's has shipped pretty much everywhere in the lower 48.
    Finding a place to drop ship them isnt the problem. The problem there is the $80 tab for a couple of sandwiches. That is even more expensive than all my other bad habits

Unhappy

I have lived now in Utah for 9 years and have yet to come across a "philly cheesesteak". I don't even try now.

South street is dearly missed, from the old kid from Yardley, PA.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

FKNA I haven't had a REAL cheese steak in years. Jim's is the old fav, and yes the Whiz is the best.

I can't see shipping a steak - it has to be fresh; even takeout sucks compared to wolfing down a large Jim's cheese steak with sauce and washing it down with a couple of beers. I have chowed a Jim's numerous times standing on the curb outside when there were no seats inside.

Damn, I could sure use one now - not to mention a walk on South Street.

Should there be a thread in Summits about a South Street Cheessteak Mini summit?
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Oh and for me, it's a provolone cheese steak w/sweet peppers thank you.
    now thats a steak.
    Elvis has left the building

Alright, THE PHILADELPHIAN at 9860 South 700 East in Sandy. That place is awsome! Greasy goodness. The place looks like a major dive when you walk through the door; but, the food really is delicious. If you want fries with it, they have wedgie, chunkie, toty frie thingys that are fantastic. Like I said, major dive; but, people who know the place will attest to its goodness. Give it a shot and report back.

Mucci's is the only one I know of within the city itself.

But word on the street is that Park City now has a killer steak'n'cheese place in the plaza with Albie's and the movie theater. Its called Atlantic something. If you try and don't like it, blame Long Duck Dong.

what's a cheesesteak?

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    Hate to tell you, but there is no skiing here right now. So how bout sending some good food this way? But the bread isnt the problem. Mormons rock at baking
    The skiing will come. Am not flying out of Philly for my annual pilgramage this year, so unfortunately I probably can't hook you up with the hand delivery. Can't imagine they'd be that good shipped. I think the roll does make a difference (based on my experience regionally in the mid-Atlantic), but maybe those mormons have that angle figured out.

As I sit here in downtown Philly, I gotta say, Pat's and Gino's flat out suck.Neither of those goomba's knows how to make a steak

Quality steak sandwiches are found at Jim's at 4th and South or for the very best, Dalesandro's on Henry Ave.
    Lived in Philly for 5 years and never got to Dalesandros, though I'm sure it was my loss. Will have to add that to the list. I know people are passionate about their choices, but I find it hard to believe anyone can objectively say that Pat's steaks suck. The lines suck at times, but the steaks are pretty damned good in my mind.

I freakin love Moochie's.

But I'm not from Philly, which is probably why I'm so affable.

I can already attest to the Philadelphian's goodness. I grew up and worked in Sandy until the late '90s. However what I used to get at the Philadelphian had lots of different kinds of meats and cheeses and was really good. At that time I had never been to Philly and tried a real cheesesteak. So with thinking of a cheesesteak, that place hadnt crossed my mind. I might have to make a drive. Also sounds like I might have to drive to PC. I hate driving when I am hungry

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    what's a cheesesteak?
    I bet you can find a decent cheesesteak in Ohio. May not be authentic, but might be closer than what I have found here. And for the record it does not even resemble a cheesesteak sandwich that you would find at Subway or something like that. BTW typing while drooling is hard work

As I sit here in downtown Philly, I gotta say, Pat's and Gino's flat out suck.
    Nah, you're wrong.

I should clarify- as between Pat's and Geno's, I'll take Pat's every time. But my favorite in Philly proper is Tony Luke's, on Oregon, under the highway.

D'Allesandro's is definitely some shit, though. I will give you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    Nah, you're wrong.

I should clarify- as between Pat's and Geno's, I'll take Pat's every time. But my favorite in Philly proper is Tony Luke's, on Oregon, under the highway.

D'Allesandro's is definitely some shit, though. I will give you that.

Tony Luke's for a roast pork sandwich w/ sharp provolone and broccoli Rab
    can't be beat.

I'm here to say that the Philly Cheesesteak cart on 16th in Denver blows the fucking doors off any "Philly Cheesesteak" in Philly.

"It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    I have lived now in Utah for 9 years and have yet to come across a "philly cheesesteak". I don't even try now.

South street is dearly missed, from the old kid from Yardley, PA.

I have coffee at the Yardley Wawa every morning. By the way, Lower Makefield just had the dedication for the 9-11 memorial. I haven't seen it yet but my wife and I will be visiting shortly.

Tony Luke's for a roast pork sandwich w/ sharp provolone and broccoli Rab.
    No deezy.

Best hoagies in Philly are from http://www.sarconesbakery.com/, fo' sho.

Stop hijacking my thread! This space is for cheesesteaks, not hoagies, not pork sandies. CHEESESTEAKS ONLY
    Last edited by Professor; 10-11-2006 at 04:28 PM. Reason: cuz "hoagies" has an "a" in it.......