Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Cool TR: Fourteeners and Faceshots 10.9.06

Funkendrenchman, Figure Eleven, iskibc, Dside 11

14er ski season has officially begun for the 2006-2007 season. In what looks and feels like late December here in parts of Colorado, we set out to ski a couple of classic lines off a couple of 14ers yesterday morning. The early season gifts we’ve been getting from Mother Nature just keep on coming in. Strong moisture from the Gulf of Mexico mixed with high elevation terrain and cold weather has made for another big fall dump.

With most of the Front Range Mountains high and dry, Dside and I decided to get outta town and take a road trip down south. The alarm blaring loud and crisp at 1:30 AM on Monday morning was music to my ears as I jumped out of bed and hit the shower. The anticipation of the day was quickly filling my veins and rushing to my head as I quickly gathered my gear and hopped into the truck for the long haul. Met Dside down in Denver and we were off in the midst of a nasty rain/snow mix hitting the Front Range. There’s nothing like that early season energy that radiates between you and your buddies on the first few pow days of the year. Nothing. The positive energy filling the air in the truck cabin was intense and alive. Despite the lack of sleep and the long drive we were wide awake and itching to start climbing. I always wonder who came up with the name to this gas station:

After the long drive through the early morning hours of the night, we met up with Funken and Figure Eleven and headed to the trailhead. Another 20 miles or so and we were at the trailhead, snow falling, ground covered, and not one sign of it stopping anytime soon. I think winter is here and ready to check-in for its 7-month stay. The recent storm had brought lots of moisture and snow up high, but left lower elevations just wet and rainy. The snow line was somewhere around 11K, but dropped considerably as the day went on.

We skinned up a ways and then switched over to boot packing as we reached the lower apron of the couloir. A nicely consolidated 4’ base covered the ground. A good 6” of light and airy snow had fallen the night before. The higher and higher we climbed up the couloir, the snow got deeper and deeper.

Beginning our climb:

Some wind transport turned that 6” into 1’ in the couloir.

Figure Eleven setting the pace, funken in tow:

We continued to climb up the couloir until we reached the summit ridge and then worked our way up the final pitch to the summit of our first 14er of the day.

Figure Eleven and the rest of the crew working up the final steep pitch to the summit:

Visibility was poor and the storm was gaining some strength as the winds began to pick up and the snow started to fall harder. The summit was covered in a good 2’ of snow.

Summit shot:

We didn’t hang out long at the top as it was cold and windy. We skied off the summit and down to the couloir entrance carefully as the poor visibility and fierce winds whipping from the south made skiing rather interesting. Once in the couloir we made a couple of ski cuts and didn’t get anything to move. The base underneath the new snow was solid.

Figure Eleven coming up for air:

Funkendrenchman, whiteroom:

We had a nice descent down the couloir until we reached the lower apron where visibility went to zero and vertigo set in quickly.

Funken battling the vertigo on the lower apron:

We slowly made our way down a bit farther to the flats and waited the snow squall out before deciding what to do next.

The snow let up a bit so we moved on and made our way to the next couloir. This one I’ve wanted to ski for a couple years now, but it never worked out. There are two nice and tight chokes in the middle of the couloir. This time of year they are even tighter than normal as they aren’t as filled in as they normally are come springtime.

Dside pondering:

We began climbing and were getting pounded by light spindrifts for the first half of the climb. The snow was deeper in this couloir than the previous. Two steps up, one step back was the norm as we wallowed in the deep snow up to our waists.

up, up, up:

Dside getting a shower from the spin drifts:

Funken and Dside coming up to the first choke:

Once above the first choke the going became easier as there was less new snow in the couloir and the footing became easier.

Climbing up past the first choke:

The couloir opening up past the second choke:

Once at the top of the couloir we made our way to the summit to claim our second 14er of the day and then quickly made our way back down. The winds were brutal making it difficult to stand upright and move. I dropped into the couloir first and made some tight turns down to the choke. The snow was absolutely amazing. Mid-winter feel for sure. Knowing there’s a good 4’ of base underneath, it felt great to not worry about hitting anything underneath.

Funken kicking up some cold smoke:

The rest of the crew came down and squeezed through the choke one-by-one.

FigureEleven working the choke:

Dside 11:

The snow got better as we made our way through the second choke, with face shots and cold smoke greeting us as we tore up the lower face.

The smile says it all:

Dside letting 'em run:

FigureEleven charging hard down the last pitch to the trucks:

What an amazing early season we’ve had here in Colorado. It doesn’t get much better than this. We skied back down to the trucks and celebrated the morning with some cold beers. Turns out today was Dside’s first two 14ers, and he got them from the summit, in October! The snow is still flying as I type this meaning there’s more to be had up in the high country. Can’t wait to get out there and do it all over again.

YES!!!!!!

DAMN! YOU SUCK!

Nice pic here. Jealous for sure.

looks so good...
    We hold daggers in the side of the Moon...

<-- happy face. Way to get it gents.

One question: iski- you feeling okay buddy? First time I've ever seen pictures taken by you of people walking ahead of you.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Wow, that's some dedication. 1:30?!?!?!?!

Neat shots.
    More gauze pads, please hurry!

WOW!!!!!

and...

YESSSSSSSSS!!!

Nice. Way to go after it.
    The snow doesn't give a soft white damn whom it touches.
    ~ e.e. cummings

LB, you took the words right out of my mouth. Dave must have been on lap two.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Christmas View Post
    LB, you took the words right out of my mouth. Dave must have been on lap two.
    yeah I was wondering if maybe he was carrying a couple of those mini-kegs (or GIANT cans depending on your POV) but they didn't say anthing about tapping them on the summits so all I could figure was severe respritory infection and some sort of gastro-intestinal distress that caused him to stop and drop trow frequently. :shrug:
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Completely fucking awesome. Way to get after it.

cab is offline Skied with Seth M..once.
    so jealous
    Are you bringing your ice axe?

Nice work, and more is falling up there today. Way to get after it.

Looks like I may have to call in sick tomorrow morning.
    Last edited by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo; 10-10-2006 at 08:38 AM.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

This TR totally doesn't suck at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

DICKS! Those wintry snow texture shots.....mmmm....donuts.
    The 4" Tahoe's reaping this morning will be mud puddles tomorrow.

Shoulda called in sick.

Fuck yes.

<Jealous>

Sweet..... but I am very jealous as well.

Oct 9th, 2006... It was a very, very... very outstanding day for a lucky few. Theres the proof. Yeah!

iskibc's saga continues... Thanks, man!

Amazing...9/10

Still able to drive pretty high up that road?

Dammit! Don't you people have to work? Nice report. I'm a month away (at best) from being able to ski and you're riding/climbing waist deep pow. I'm officially jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by smitchell333 View Post
    Amazing...9/10

Still able to drive pretty high up that road?
    Snowed all the way down to town last night... so most likely not.

Thumbs up

Hell yeah!

Way to get some.

Nice work guys, specially Dside, first 2! Nice.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

I keep looking at the pics but my mind cannot (will not) register that this was yesteday.

I cant wait for the next episode.