Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Euro Mini @ Stryn Summerski, May-June???

So anybody interstid in a Mini near the opening weekend. Been there twice, and it has been a blast on both occations...

So any euro-mags interestif, what about those from the otherside of the pond?

And to make this a bit more interesting.... here's a few pics to get the stoke going...

And a few TR's from there/nearby:
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=54783
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=54442
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

I might be in. I haven't been in stryn and would like to see the place.

would i have to tele?

sounds interesting, how far is it from narvik/riksgransen? i keep saying that one May i will go for a late season closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot
    would i have to tele?
    No, I migth even lock my heels next year... Though I'll still bring my hippy-skis with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot
    sounds interesting, how far is it from narvik/riksgransen? i keep saying that one May i will go for a late season closer.
    Narvik / Riksgränsen... Well with public transport... I'd say about 30 hours . And with a car around 20 hours... For moving around, Norway Sucks .

If the push comes to shove, I might be able to take a few peeps from Oslo Airport to Stryn and back... And will be (most likely, if I can escape the firm I'll be doing my M.Sc. thesis onto) spending the Easter around Riksgränsen, Narvik and Lyngen

Hey guys, if you came to Narvik/Riksgränsen area, inform me also. I'm spending this season there. Well, actually living at Rovaniemi, but we are going to buy riksgränsen season cards and we will be there almost every weekend(probably mostly "long weekends" ). And definately everytime it snows. I can probably offer also cheap transportation from Rovaniemi to Riksgränsen or along the route, if you're interested. At least for couple of guys.

20-30 hours? what is the trip from Oslo to Stryn like? and how does Stryn compare with Narvik/Riks?

It's because there are no straight roads in Norway. If you want to go "fast" from southern Norway to northern Norway, you have to drive in Sweden. Norway has "too much" fjords and mountains. But if you come up here, you definately don't fly to Oslo. I don't know, if you can get cheap flights to Narvik or Kiruna, probably not. But you should be able to get rather cheap flights to here, Rovaniemi. It's only 5 hrs from here to Riksgränsen.

I haven't been in Stryn so I can't compare. But couple of pics tell more than thousand words

Vàssecohkka. In Riksgränsen there are "just fjäls". If I remember right, from top of that fjäll it's about 900 vertical meters down.

Rombakstrotta. This is from Narvik, lifts are behind that mountain. 1100 vertical meters.

Both places have good touring possibilities and but there's also good skiing near lifts.

Hemas can compare these places to Stryn

Stryn's nice but I vote for Riksgränsen/Narvik in mid May instead. Trying to get Hop and a few other yanks on the board to cross the pond for the Scandalous extremes.
    I like big bikes and I cannot lie. You other brothers can't deny

Well Stryn is smaller, when it comes to lifts (basicly two lifts... one to get half way and another to get to the top). There's more lift-served in Riksu/Narvik and almost endless touring (provided you're willing to do the approach ).

The Stryn thing, would be last week(end) of May or fisrt week of June... More than enough time to 1st visit Riksu and Scandihoolian Extreemo-comps and then drag that sorry ass to Stryn... Atleast I'll try to do both, provided my future employer will let my (which, I'll still have to find... I should be doing my M.Sc thesis for them).

Oh, and Stryn is around 4 to 6 hours from Oslo...

Sterling + Norwegian might offer a reasonably priced option to fly from NL to Narvik... (and flights from Schipol to Oslo, with Sterling were pretty cheap).

Quote Originally Posted by hemas
    Atleast I'll try to do both, provided my future employer will let my (which, I'll still have to find... I should be doing my M.Sc thesis for them).
    I said to my employer that I can't work from February to June, because I have to ski

yep, I think we should do both For Riksu/Narvik, I'm definately in. For Stryn I'm in, if I still have money and there's no new snow up here.

At Riksgränsen we could take maggot accommodation from Katterjokk, it's only about 30e/night/person. It's much better quality than hotel's "budget"rooms and cheaper. There's own kitchen in every room, nice living room upstairs and sauna every evening. Maybe 100m to lifts. Like I said, I will be there almost every weekend, so maybe I could arrange accommodation things when we know whos coming?

Bump for the Roo clan.

Could be tempted by this: especially if I can get my brother and his girlfriend (who is Swedish) on board.
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

Quote Originally Posted by Franz Klammer View Post
    Could be tempted by this: especially if I can get my brother and his girlfriend (who is Swedish) on board.
    Easiest option for you would be to take a flight to Oslo Int. Airport (Gaardamoen or what ever it was called) and either rent a car (like I did, last year) or take a bus to Stryn (I did that two years ago). If you're students, you'll get a good discount on the bus tickets (I believe it was -50 %, by just showing some kind of student card). Or you could try to hitch a ride from other maggots/peeps heading that way.

Most likely the grand opening is either the last weekend of May, the 1st of June or the weekend nearest to Ascension Day.

Ding ding... I will be there!!!!

I've been to stryn in july in 2002.. was a great time.. good skiing, friendly folk, cute women... Its about 6 or so hours up the coast from bergen. I would have to say easiest way to get there is to fly into oslo and then fly to bergen and then drive. there are SO many tunnels on the way. I used to business with a guy from stryn and he took me there and to some of the local places.. we were in some other town as well.. was a great weekend. also in the winter theres norefjell, hafjell.. geilo and hemsedal. I ve been to the 1st three and not the last one.. good skiing.. had some super fun powder days!

I would be in for joining as well.. but I am much more keen on Narvik, I have heard many great stories, plus probably a more direct flight to get there from oslo... anyways, bump for my fav country in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by gamma View Post
    I've been to stryn in july in 2002.. was a great time.. good skiing, friendly folk, cute women... Its about 6 or so hours up the coast from bergen. I would have to say easiest way to get there is to fly into oslo and then fly to bergen and then drive.
    No need to switch planes in Oslo and fly to Bergen...

It's only 4 to 6 hours on a GOOD road to Stryn from Oslo (and ~45mins less from Oslo Airport).

As for Narvik, well I will atleast try to drag my ass there during Easter (Riksgränsen as well, and even possibly Lyngen and Tamokdalen).

Okay... Stryn has announced the opening days... Atleast they are planning to open on the 25th of May... I'll try to be there when it opens and then ski for a long weekend (both some touring and skiing at the resort).

As for sleeping and such... well the place to be is Folven Camping (http://www.powdercafe.com/ alas in norwegian).

Lets start the roll-call: Teletori, LITT, Wildstyle, Roo's, Blizzard and the rest of the crazy Norwedgians?.

can't say for sure, but I might be in. Gasoline will cost quite a lot from here. Have to see if I get some friends going also.

Quote Originally Posted by Ville View Post
    can't say for sure, but I might be in. Gasoline will cost quite a lot from here. Have to see if I get some friends going also.
    Carpool with Jr.M and the rest of the Läskikymppi-bosse...

Edited to add... You planning on being at Riksu during Ascenssion Day? I might be in those neck of the woods, for a long weekend.
    Last edited by hemas; 02-23-2007 at 07:54 AM.

Working on it. Also contacted Mulletizer, Telepath and Glisseur who are definite maybes. I'm still thinking of a quick swing up to Narvik/Riksu via Trondheim, per your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by hemas View Post
    Carpool with Jr.M and the rest of the Läskikymppi-bosse...

Edited to add... You planning on being at Riksu during Ascenssion Day? I might be in those neck of the woods, for a long weekend.
    Well, that depends when is that Ascenssion Day? (I don't know what that mean) But yes, I'm probably there I'm there quite a lot this spring.

I might get some guys or girls from Rovaniemi for Stryn trip. Have to see how things start to work out

Tri-Ungulate, There's pretty good amount of snow at riksgränsen right now, although Norway's side still needs more snow. Are you thinking of coming Riksgränsen just before Stryn Mini?

Quote Originally Posted by Ville View Post
    Well, that depends when is that Ascenssion Day? (I don't know what that mean) But yes, I'm probably there I'm there quite a lot this spring.

I might get some guys or girls from Rovaniemi for Stryn trip. Have to see how things start to work out

Tri-Ungulate, There's pretty good amount of snow at riksgränsen right now, although Norway's side still needs more snow. Are you thinking of coming Riksgränsen just before Stryn Mini?
    I think after Stryn...

Ascenssion Day = helatorstai

I was thinking about Riksu and/or Narvik after opening weekend at Stryn, say around the 27th or 28th. hemas mentioned the best way would be to take a bus to Trondheim then a flight to Narvik. Looks like flights can be had for under €100 if you get them right. I'd fly from Narvik back to Oslo around the 31st of May or June 1. When is Ascension Day for those of us non-Scandahooligans?

Ascenssion Day 17.5. ... Not really a Scandohooligan thing, more of a christian deal: http://www.ookingdom.com/holiday/ascension

17th of May is also the constitution day of Norway...