Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Portillo Superstars 2006 TR

I returned a few hours ago from this trip and it was awesome. I'll handle this chronologically
    from departure to return flight. But first:

I've always thought the pros were amazing atheletes
    but this trip bolstered my respect for them. If you are into pagan idolotry you need not hesitate to
    worship a statue of any of the superstars that were kind enough to share their time, stories, and
    skiing tips with me. Aside from being bionic and possessing a third lung (their stamina is unreal), they
    all were angels: supremely helpful, kind, always in a good positive mood. Unlike some top atheletes in
    more popular atheletic events, they are role models for the sport and for the human spirit.

Chris Davenport, Chris Anthony, Wendy Fisher, Michael Douglas, Shane McConkey

I work Friday morning and leave Reno-DFW-Santiago and obtain a ride to Portillo. My g/f or avatar girl
    (or "D" as BrklynTrayc refers to her) boards the plane with me. The second leg of the flight we pass time watching
    OFFICE SPACE since we "got the memo. Nobody had seen my red Swingline stapler".

On my flight from DFW to Santiago were Wendy Fisher, Chris Anthony, and Michael Douglas.
    Some folks in a state of panic because they were worried about SNAKES ON A PLANE.
    However, there were no snakes: I simply was happy to see the superstars...and I had a banana too.

We arrive in Santiago and the drive to Portillo is beautiful:

Arriving at Hotel Portillo the check in is swift. Our room's balcony has a great view.
    Tools of the trade are unpacked.

The heck with the superstars, our presence is graced by BrklynTrayc. She is ubersweet and
    gives my gal a ski lesson while I beat the life out myself hiking the off piste.

I manage to get in a few runs with Davenport and another camper who lives in London
    and skis Verbier. He rocks. Next days are filled with tons of hiking and skiiing. Michael Douglas
    tells me we hiked more this year than the past years. Hiking in ski boots up the fall line is my
    Achille's heel. I skied 110% the first two days. That and the hiking had a synergistic effect leaving
    my muscles not at peak for the rest of the weak. Day three I skied like I had 20% of my game on. I
    failed to pace myself and I paid the price. Still, the week did not suck:

Shane , the Gargantita chutes, and campers. I've got the camo pants and orange shell:

Roca Jack poma and it's treats:

Chris Anthony...you have to see him to believe it. Amazing take no prisoners ski style. Super nice too! And this man knows who to plan global ski trips.
    Future TR in 2007 or 2008 for sure.

Hey, what's that buried in the snow?
    Two and one half cartwheels but I ski out of it:

"Dude, you McGovern'd!"

A little air time

Condor and Vizchacha runs: that guy from Squaw

Me, another guy from Squaw albeit lesser known

A little race action on the 97mm waist Dynastar Legend Pro

Awards ceremony with the white liger/tiger beanie:

Last edited by Jim S; 09-03-2006 at 07:28 PM.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Michael Douglas gives us a 360 clinic and Shane helps us on the 180s too.
    Mike D is also uncommonly nice and down to earth. It was fascinating to learn how busy he is with both filming and
    the business side of skiing, esp with Salomon.

"Why do I have to teach this overgrown teenager to try to spin?"

Douglas points out the truth of the situation

The big boss, moi`, avatar girl at Tio Bob's
    Davenport hauls ass with clean fluid lines and finesse...at mach schnell speeds. Additionally, he is friendly and runs
    the ship with supreme confidence and diligence. Even when the unexpected rears it's ugly head,
    he handles any situation with aplomb. And Davenport knows how to have fun in a big way. Just
    another superb run of the mill superstar.

I'm sitting up at Tio Bob' totally depleted from a Chris Anthony hike and the back legs
    of my chair sink into the spring slush/snow. This pic is taken as it happens and I nearly
    get accidental air.

Chris Anthony

Sushi night incurred a wasabi snowman and then a wasabi food fight.

Davenport: "Wendy, you have to hike with Jim S tomorrow."
    McConkey: "Not me? Yes!"

Fisher: "groooooan"

Actually, she was just ducking wasabi. Fisher is an amazing skier to watch, esp on the steeps. Just watching her ski is a lesson in form and technique that's the benchmark. To hear her history of racing backround and charge into the big mt free ride world was great story. She rips with her own style; off the snow she's so affable and kind.

Last edited by Jim S; 09-03-2006 at 07:33 PM.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

The cougar's siren-like effect upon the Liger

A little hot tub salvation is desperately needed on this trip

I don't know what this lift sign means and I don't want to find out.

Oh, I know what it means. It means you are foolish enough to bring your g/f on the trip
    where there are pro skiers. Davenport feigns a pyriformis muscle strain and stretches in the
    hallway outside our door. Since my g/f teaches aerobics and yoga, she volunteers to help
    Chris stretch it out. Ahem.

Since Saturday through Friday was my game, I treated Avatar girl to a tour and lunch at a Chilean vineyard. This made her muy happio.

Wine my butt. I believe these containers contain the elixir to ski superstardom.

From the fountain I shall imbibe super straight line powers and supreme huckness

OK, maybe not

A little orange flower caught our attention.
    Oops, I bet you expected a Chilean hottie but I mean this literally

On my flight from DWF to Reno, Shane is up there with us. During our three hour layover in
    DFW, Shane needs to take care of a matter and asks me to watch his "unattended" bags. While
    he is gone I take good care of his belongs to be sure they are present when he returns. I create a sign
    that politically incorrectly reads "Unattended belongings of Jamal Al-McConkey"

He did not track out of the plane in a webbed suit. We return to Reno with a view of Lake Tahoe and Slide Mt. Only
    two months until we can poach the snow covered mts. As I said at the top of this thread, these
    pros are exceptional.

At the end of a 20 hour journey McConkey is kind enough to haul my ski bag to my vehicle.
    No bull. Not even Redbull.

Last edited by Jim S; 08-28-2006 at 01:18 PM.

Wow man, looks like a pretty epic trip - great pics......

I learned just how down to earth and friendly ski pros can be at Gordy's Straightline Camp last winter.....looks like you had a great time with this group....Shane must have provided plenty of entertainment....

Look forward to planning a trip down there some upcomming summer....
    Last edited by Raps; 08-27-2006 at 08:01 PM.

That looked like no fun, no fun at all

And who were all those people you were skiing with? I thought Mike Douglas died.

Nice work, if'n you kin get it.

Thanks for the late summer stoke.

Great summer(northern hemisphere) stoke. What a cool way to spend a week ripping with the pros, and bringing home your own ski valet.

Great TR!

Damn, that don't suck.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Looks like a great trip. Chile and aliens.
    If you stay at Portillo, do you have to do a minimum of 7 nights?

Oh... and you have to have heard this before:

Nice TR Jim

Welcome back.

Appriciate the simi nekkid pic's of your woman

FNKA Sweet TR. Looks like the only thing missing was a little freshies.

I'm still green w/envy though.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Damn... first the cold weather here in CO this weekend, and now an awesome TR from south of the border. I need winter to come- soon.

Here's Jim's epic ski tr..
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim S
    I went to portillo...I had so much fun
    Dude that looks like sooo much fun (why didn't we go )...next year for sure!!

Hey Wendy Fisher is pretty hot

WWCD is online now Non Threating Male Friend
    Love the cartwheeling shots.

Well done sir.

adam is offline The Shred Pirate Roberts
    Sweetness. I wanna go.

Nice TR man. You're a manimal.

Sweet stoke. Looks like an incredible trip.

Wow, this week is getting more and more painful. First Powder arrives and now this (I can handle patch TRs, but real skiing is much harder to handle).

Looks like an epic trip, and that was a great TR: View, Superstars, Action, crashes, artsy shots, and bikini. Who could ask for more.

Thanks for sharing.....will look for you around Thanksgiving!!
    Donjoy to the World!

Wow, so many great photos. I just love the crash pics. Please post more of them.

And... Is your girlfriend at all jealous of whatever it is you and McConkey have going on?

I bet you're the shit on the dance floor, Jim.
    Who taught you my moves?

Your girlfriend has some awfully darn big feet, Jim.

Great TR

Yuo know Jim, to telemark, you actually need bindings that do not fasten your heel to the ski...

The turn is much easier to do with proper equipment and face-plant (be it, with recovery) is not mandatory...

Nice TR, this deserves a or two
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

Thumbs up

Stellar pics in there, nice !!

Awesome pics Jim!

Way to get it done, man. That was sweet!
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix