Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Powspatuplus: IT CAN BE DONE!

So I wanted to make my own frankenbent Pow Plus,

just used the basement stairs at my house. Worked great, just wedged the tails under the stairs, attached heavy duty line to the tips and bent, left them there for a day or two, then when I was about to switch ends I flexed the skis a couple of times to set the bend.

full setup

I would make sure to use thick stuff this is my old mainsheet from my Laser, If I remember correctly its 1/8 with a spectra core so its pretty strong non-creepy stuff

Your looking to put a bend in somewhere about 5" from the tails and about 12" from the tips

Be really carefull not to get the fulcrum to close to the bindings when you go to set the bend, I got a little to aggro with the flexing on the tips of one ski and managed to delam a 2" section of the topsheet about 4-5" from the toepiece, I've got it clamped and epoxied we'll see if it holds up

Also you want to be super careful when you load and unload the skis as they're likely to come back hard when you release the pressure on them, I know from personal experince that it'll leave quite a mark if you're in the way. I don't have final pics, but I managed to get about 2" of space between the tips, and 1" between the tails when the skis are stacked together. I'm interested to see how they ski as they won't have the reverse sidecut of the spats but I didn't make the reverse camber that big either. My hope is that I will have made the effective length smaller so they're more slidey in tight spots without losing the surface area by going down to a 165.
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

i would be doing this if I could ever find an extra pair of these skis...

I spy a future Darwin award.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

those tails may end up with alot of rocker and be prone to break, but two thumbs up for effort!

Looks funky, hope it works out. If I had done, I would have tried to just rocker the tips, but the full spatula design might work too.

nice work laser, anxiously awaiting snow so you can test them out.

then again, everyone here is anxiously awaiting snow.
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson
    those tails may end up with alot of rocker and be prone to break, but two thumbs up for effort!

once I relived the pressure the rocker decreased significantly, as soon as I can figure out where the mini-animal stashed my digital camera cable I'll post final pics

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster
    Looks funky, hope it works out. If I had done, I would have tried to just rocker the tips, but the full spatula design might work too.
    Yeah but I'm not really concerned with the tips diving, I was more interested to get a ski that skied shorter while maintaining the surface area
    Last edited by laseranimal; 08-23-2006 at 06:04 AM.
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

Awaiting more pics.
    Quote Originally Posted by TWINS View Post
    I love it when shitweasels get there panties all in a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by laseranimal
    once I relived the pressure the rocker decreased significantly, as soon as I can figure out where the mini-animal stashed my digital camera cable I'll post final pics
    nice. i'll be interested to hear how they ski. a +1inch binding mount may help with smearing too.....

nice. i'll be interested to hear how they ski. a +1inch binding mount may help with smearing too.....
    Good idea. I'll be interested to hear how they ski.

P.S. How long did you leave the skis under tension?
    Last edited by Dromond; 08-23-2006 at 09:04 AM.

I already had em mounted +1 and the smearing was really good except on lower angle stuff when the ski would refuse to slide at all which made it not so much fun in tight spaces, which sucked cause you'd get them into the EC trees and slide turns all day then the pitch would flatten slightly and the things held an edge like a slalom ski. Without sounding like a complete Epic nerd I'm sure it had to do with angle and articulation and crap. SO I'm hoping with a slight rocker there won't as much edge to lock in.

Dromond I left them there for about a day and a half with the tails bending then flipped the process for the tips

I already had em mounted +1 and the smearing was really good except on lower angle stuff when the ski would refuse to slide at all which made it not so much fun in tight spaces, which sucked cause you'd get them into the EC trees and slide turns all day then the pitch would flatten slightly and the things held an edge like a slalom ski. Without sounding like a complete Epic nerd I'm sure it had to do with angle and articulation and crap. SO I'm hoping with a slight rocker there won't as much edge to lock in.

Dromond I left them there for about a day and a half with the tails bending then flipped the process for the tips
    I wouldn't worry about sounding like an epic nerd. Equipment mods of any kind will always involve some nerdliness. For what it's worth what you're saying seems very reasonable. Smearing turns always seems easier on the steeps. One of my favorite things about the wideness and straightness of explosives in the east is not the float but the ability to slide without hooking up when you need to. And unlike some tree superstars out there, I definitely need to. I think wider and straighter might be the ticket!

Quote Originally Posted by Highway Star
    That is fucking brilliant.....good luck with that.
    HSPP

and 1000 for me. i'll shut up now.

Who the fuck cares what he says?
    HSPN-PS.......

And now for some advice:

- Stock mount or -1cm. You want them to float, right? Even with the bends, and your "broken in" softer flex, I would not go forward. I have good reasons to say this, but will not elaborate, sorry. -2cm is too far back.

- Apply a rilled cross hatch structure with the side of a file, and use a base bevel of around 2-3 degrees. This will make them pivot.

- 180cm P+ are around 12 lb (way heavy). Get the lightest bindings you can. 12 din 957/977/997 etc, or some FKS 120's, or Z12's. Loose the metal heel 957's.
    HSPPS

shouldn't argue with HS its pointless....shouldn't argue with HS its pointless....shouldn't argue with HS its pointless....shouldn't argue with HS its pointless....shouldn't argue with HS its pointless....shouldn't argue with HS its pointless....shouldn't argue with HS its pointless....shouldn't argue with HS its pointless....shouldn't argue with HS its pointless....shouldn't argue with HS its pointless....shouldn't argue with HS its pointless....shouldn't argue with HS its pointless....shouldn't argue with HS its pointless....shouldn't argue with HS its pointless....shouldn't argue with HS its pointless....shouldn't argue with HS its pointless....shouldn't argue with HS its pointless....shouldn't argue with HS its pointless....

damn

why should I care about the weight? Its not like I'm gonna be rocking the race din binders + trekkers + race boots + Powder Plusses

All I have to avoid is not having them fall of my feet on the lift

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Seriously? They weigh alot, 12 lbs is a fucking lot. Spatula heavy. I you want to ski them in the trees a fucking lot, then taking nearly 2 lb off in the bindings makes them easier to ski in tight slots. It's virtually free too, you can find 12 din 957's just sitting around on old skis, and they're great bindings.
    12 DIN!! That ain't no race stock binding!

HSPP

an extra 0.5 pound on each heel ain't gonna kill ya. especially since it's not swing weight, you'd probably never notice it until you have to shoulder them.

nice dude. can't wait to see more pics. hot setup.

genius, cant wait to see pics of the finished product. such great skis its scary that they could be even better...

some more pics

Finally found the *#$@ing cable

tips

tails

still a little bit of camber left underfoot

Those actually might ski pretty well. In pow, not killington . Kinda makes me want to score some 190s and bend em.

And are the pics of the rockered tip/tail taken with the they are being pushed together underfoot, or just normal with the brakes holding them together?
    Drive slow, homie.

heh... That's about how much tip rocker a pair of G41's I have, although they're just beat to death, I didn't bend them on purpose. Makes for an interesting ski. If they were sharper I might notice how funny they ski, but as it is they mostly like to slide. Wonderful rock ski though.
    Last edited by crashnburn'd; 09-08-2006 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Z
    Those actually might ski pretty well. In pow, not killington . Kinda makes me want to score some 190s and bend em.
    And are the pics of the rockered tip/tail taken with the they are being pushed together underfoot, or just normal with the brakes holding them together?
    first off Killington has the sickest nipple deep blower you'll ever ski. You Colorado, Tahoe, and Utah people just pretend that the stuff you get is better then Killington cause you're such jealous haters.

all the pics are with just the brakes holding the skis together

damn, I'm kinda jealous... anybody have any pow + they want to sell me so I can try this ^^^