Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Some quick Las Lenas pics

Las Lenas TR 8-7-2006

Today is not such a great ski day at Las Lenas so I thought I'd take a few minutes at luch to post some pics from yesterday. So, here ya go!

I am having a blast in Las Lenas! I will do a longer TR later for the whole trip, but here’s a sneak preview

We are staying in Los Molles at the historic La Huenco hotel, 15 minutes from Las Lenas, and which has thermal hot springs you can go and use. Perfect après ski activity Well, we arrived to La Huenco in the evening before skiing and saw this!

In just a couple of hours it had easily dropped 5-6 inches, which means the mountain surely had to have more! Yay! Then the snow stopped! It started again for a bit…. But by the am… well, let’s put it this way: first thing I did when I woke up was look outside. I saw lots of snow on the ground and not a cloud in the sky. Pretty good indication that we were up for a good day J J

It took them an hour or more to get the Volcano lift going, but when they did, it was FANTASTIC! Skied some lines lookers right of the chair.

I’d been skiing with this guy Nick from the UK and also with an Argentine local named Lolly. When we arrived to the bottom of Urano after our second Volcano run, the lift operator tells Lolly that the Marte is opening at 1 pm. That’s right, the Marte- which has been closed for over a month- is opening… in about a half an hour!!!! Begin the mad rush to the Marte!

There I met up with a guy from Vail and another guy from Utah who’s a freelance ski writer. We wanted to ski this, which you can see from the Neptuno chair on the way to the Marte. I don’t know what the name of the area is, and either did they…. The Marte hasn’t been open, so for many, this was all new! There is an extreme lack of Beta on the Marte area right now b/c it hasn’t been open. If you know the name of what we skied, do tell

A look at our line

A view while skiing the chute

The upper part of the ski (largely not seen in the pic of the line) had FANTASTIC powder! Perfect pitch and perfect pow! Doesn’t get much better! Lower, we encountered more packed snow largely because it was through tight couloirs and the good snow just sloughed off.

When we got to the bottom we were reminded…. A pretty good-sized crown on this one and it wasn’t there on our way up the chair. After reading enlosandes report from yesterday, I guess he's with the group that started it. But, just a warning!

Anyway, it was a pretty killer day! Foot of fresh, bluebird, and Marte open. Doesn’t get much better than that
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

adam is offline The Shred Pirate Roberts
    Thanks mtbikeskierchick. Whats the vert like over there?

Sweeeeet.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

!!!!

good shit......I gotta get down there....maybe next year if I graduate

:::kicks self in own ass:::

Quote Originally Posted by mbsc
    Anyway, it was a pretty killer day! Foot of fresh, bluebird, and Marte open. Doesn’t get much better than that
    I'm jealous! Sooo frickin jealous!

What FZ said.

"It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Thanks that looks so sweet and makes me really want to ski, i'm jealous.

I made a tent in my pants.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerskierchick
    Las Lenas TR 8-7-2006

A look at our line

A view while skiing the chute

The upper part of the ski (largely not seen in the pic of the line) had FANTASTIC powder! Perfect pitch and perfect pow! Doesn’t get much better! Lower, we encountered more packed snow largely because it was through tight couloirs and the good snow just sloughed off.

When we got to the bottom we were reminded…. A pretty good-sized crown on this one and it wasn’t there on our way up the chair. After reading enlosandes report from yesterday, I guess he's with the group that started it. But, just a warning!

FUCK YEAH!!!! Sin Salida - excellent choice.
    That top section just kicks ass. And it just keeps getting steeper as you go.
    Then those tight exit shots... so very jealous right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel99
    FUCK YEAH!!!! Sin Salida
    Hey! I thought that was Frankie's! Oh wait, you're right...
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Don't you heartless maggots have any compassion for the oil executives who's company's record break-profits allow them to buy bigger yachts and private jets? Do you know how much it must cost to gas up those toys?
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim S
    Don't you heartless maggots have any compassion for the oil executives who's company's record break-profits allow them to buy bigger yachts and private jets? Do you know how much it must cost to gas up those toys?
    That would be a different thread, Jim.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50
    Hey! I thought that was Frankie's! Oh wait, you're right...
    That's what I thought when I first saw those pics, too! Funny how that picture flattens out the perspective- especially since it approaches 50 degrees or greater in a few spots.

Awesome pics, thenk yewwww!!!!

BUT FOR GODSAKE, PLEASE SKI ENTRE RIOS FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (and tell her i'll see her next year)
    Last edited by Squirrel99; 08-08-2006 at 12:59 PM.

Theres what I was waiting for. Woo hoo, git some!
    Ski like no one is watching!

that was awesome, soooo jealous. get after it (and stay safe)!

*droooooooool*

Stay safe!
    It's idomatic, beatch.

That was the quick TR?! I'm going to have to prepare myself for the full-on one.

FUCK YEAH!!!! Sin Salida - excellent choice.
    That top section just kicks ass. And it just keeps getting steeper as you go.
    Then those tight exit shots... so very jealous right now!

hah. All day I have been asking how to get to Sin Salida and only to find out from Squirrel that I accidentally skied it! Hah! Sweet. One down on my list
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

BUT FOR GODSAKE, PLEASE SKI ENTRE RIOS FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (and tell her i'll see her next year)
    I will do my best if weather permits!!!!
    -
    14erskiers.com

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerskierchick
    hah. All day I have been asking how to get to Sin Salida and only to find out from Squirrel that I accidentally skied it! Hah! Sweet. One down on my list
    And last year, Squirrel, Ty, and Arty accidentally skied it too. Sin Salida is a sneaky little bitch.
    "You look like you just got schnitzled..."

Quote Originally Posted by girlski0912
    And last year, Squirrel, Ty, and Arty accidentally skied it too. Sin Salida is a sneaky little bitch.
    Yes, as evidenced above, the rodent has trouble finding it from any perspective.

Now I just need to sack up and hit the real exit...yeah...right...
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Wow nice pics!! Mmm...Sin Salida...amazing how much the, um, the Salida, was filled in last year compared to this year. Last year it was almost Con Salida (for a few resident sickbirds anyway)
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

moremoremoremoremoremore moremoremoremoremoremore moremoremoremoremoremore moremoremoremoremoremore moremoremoremoremoremore moremoremoremoremoremore moremoremoremoremoremore moremoremoremoremoremore moremoremoremoremoremore moremoremoremoremoremore moremoremoremoremoremore moremoremoremoremoremore moremoremoremoremoremore moremoremoremoremoremore moremoremoremoremoremore moremoremoremoremoremore moremoremoremoremoremore moremoremoremoremoremore moremoremoremoremoremore moremoremoremoremoremore moremoremoremoremoremore moremoremoremoremoremore moremoremoremoremoremore moremoremoremoremoremore moremoremoremoremoremore moremoremoremoremoremore !

And hey buy the guidebook from the gift shop it's 90% total crap but the last 10% in the back have each couloir on all faces in lovingly rendered pastel topos and descriptive text. Sin Salida, Eduardo, Exocat, get to know them all.

Also hanging on the wall in the wine bar in case you can't score a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50
    Yes, as evidenced above, the rodent has trouble finding it from any perspective.
    - too bad we never got you out to Torrecillas & Entre Rios. [HINT]There's always next year, I guess[/hint]

back to the focus of the thread!
    MBSC - you hit it right. So stoked for ya. ? is, how many pics do you plan on taunting iskibc with upon your return to colorado? also see if you can knock out a Manhattan Couloir while you're at it.

and thanks for skiing those lines for me. kick back with some good cafe con crema and a slice of the lemon pie at Innsbruck. (or drink some Latitude 33 malbec)
    Last edited by Squirrel99; 08-08-2006 at 01:54 PM.