cold weather mountaineering/ AT boots ????

AT boots actually suitable for climbing all day.....and skiing big lines when your done. Is there a boot that is light enough and climbs well enough to use on a two week long mountaineering expeditions in subzero conditions (in place of a true dedicated cold weather climbing boot) but still retains decent ski performance on the way down. I know I'll need Thermofit style liners but I can always add them if it's not a stock option. Dynafit compatable is not a deal breaker either as I have some Freerides.....opinions ??????? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wstdeep
    AT boots actually suitable for climbing all day.....and skiing big lines when your done. Is there a boot that is light enough and climbs well enough to use on a two week long mountaineering expeditions in subzero conditions (in place of a true dedicated cold weather climbing boot) but still retains decent ski performance on the way down. I know I'll need Thermofit style liners but I can always add them if it's not a stock option. Dynafit compatable is not a deal breaker either as I have some Freerides.....opinions ??????? thanks

Im no expert, but as far as I have heard from most people, you should get some Denali TTs...

lets see what people in the know have to say though.

I've used Denalis (not TTs...i'm a fan of the earlier version) to climb and ski a few lines on Denali (err....).

Temps were as low as 30 below zero (when I was outside...colder overnight).

Thermo liners help. The main thing is having a good fit that allows circulation.

At those temps, you'll likely want overboots. The only ones i found that actually work well with that boot and can enable you to step into an AT binding (Fritschi Titanal II in my case) are the 40 Below "Purple Haze" (http://www.40below.com/). Release characteristics will no longer apply, of course... but no other overboot could do this.

Lines I skied were the Messner Couloir + Orient Express...so you can compare those to what you are planning to ski in terms of challenge.

I use MegaRides now...and i wouldn't hesitate to take them on long trips (>3 weeks) with some serious ski descents.

P.S. While I'm presonally a fan of the earlier Denalis (red tongue) vs. the XT/TT, I think you may find that such cold temperatures will affect the plastic and make it seem stiffer....so getting the stiffest of AT boots may leave you with a pair that feels even stiffer (= colder + worse for climbing).

Just something to consider.

Koflach degres fit into freerides... don't recommend skiing ANYTHING, but does allow you to skin into an ice climb. with that being said, i have skiied the sherbourne trail on washington on them, no fun i kept going out the rear with and without pack on

I have skied the Scarpa Denali XTs (blue/gray tongue) fairly extensively in New England. These were with the original lace up boot inner that I replaced with Intuition Power Wrap liners. This stiffened them up a bit and added a lot to the downhill control, which is incredibly quite good; in fact, I also ski the same boots at the resorts with no problem and am pushing around decent sized skis (Karhu Jaks at 97 under foot, and BD Crossbows 83 under foot).

While I have found the Denali XT acceptable/good on the uphill for skinning, they suck for bootpacking (which unfortunately we do a lot of this time of year in New England). I find them simply too stiff for extended (>1-2 hour) bootpacks. I spent all day in them last month hiking and it just suuuuccckked - couldn't wait to get them off my feet.

Because of this, I recently bought the Scarpa Matrix, which is a 3-buckle, not as stiff, and supposedly hikes/tours much, much better. I have yet to try them, but hope to do so this week. I may put my Denali XT tongues on them to stiffen them up a bit if I find them too soft on the downhill.

My 0.02.
    "A local is just a dirtbag who can't get his shit together enough to travel."

- Owl Chapman

I met a guide this year that was on Kit Deslauries' team that climbed the tallest peak in Antartica recently (spacing on the name of that peak). It sounded like a COLD trip, but he was using Megarides with Intuition liners and overboots if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by peterslovo
    While I have found the Denali XT acceptable/good on the uphill for skinning, they suck for bootpacking (which unfortunately we do a lot of this time of year in New England). I find them simply too stiff for extended (>1-2 hour) bootpacks. I spent all day in them last month hiking and it just suuuuccckked - couldn't wait to get them off my feet.
    That's exactly why I prefer the older (red tongue) Denalis. The gray tongue is way too stiff for comfortable hiking. The softer tongue + powerstrap is great for hiking & fine for pushing big skis around, in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by danhikeski
    Koflach degres fit into freerides... don't recommend skiing ANYTHING, but does allow you to skin into an ice climb. with that being said, i have skiied the sherbourne trail on washington on them, no fun i kept going out the rear with and without pack on
    Kinda doesn't fit his "and ski big lines" requirement.... but it would be lightweight for the uphill (although using freerides sorta defeats the purpose by adding weight esp if not intending to ski down).

I use MegaRides now...and i wouldn't hesitate to take them on long trips (>3 weeks) with some serious ski descents.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried the Adrenalines to compare......I suspect they might be a bit stiff for going up.....thoughts

Also anybody done extensive climbing with the Salomon E2, I understand they perform well going down but don't appear to to have much rocker for walking/climbing.

Thanks and keep any info coming guys.

The Adrenaline has been discussed extensively. I have tried the Adrenaline on and would not consider it for multiple day (or even long multiple hour) tours. But that's me.

http://tetongravity.com/forums/showt...ont+adrenaline

http://tetongravity.com/forums/showt...ont+adrenaline
    "A local is just a dirtbag who can't get his shit together enough to travel."

- Owl Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by wstdeep
    Also anybody done extensive climbing with the Salomon E2
    Chris Davenport is attempting to climb all the Colorado 14ers this spring in them...