Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A Once Is Enough (or should've been enough) ACL-tearing TR

Apparently "Once Is Enough" is named appropriately.

Riding up the chair:

Looking down (hard to see the perspective):

Nice view:

I met a couple of really cool tele-dudes at the top. We were going to email photos to each other, so I took shots from the bottom.

Dude 1:

Dude 2:

So I went back and did it again. Straightlined it, got caught up in the mank at the bottom and took a little tumble. Had to do it one more time just to convince myself I had it down. Standing at the top the third time I had a really strong feeling that I should back off and do another run, but I figured that was just that I needed to overcome the disappointment of screwing up the previous run. Straightlined it again, hit the mank, took a tumble, twisted a knee.... "pop"

I was able to move around to gather my equipment, but it was extremely painful getting the boot clipped in. I tried to traverse gently a few times--I really did NOT want to ride the sled down. "pop" I couldn't put any weight on it at all. Damn.

Called ski patrol on my cell, they were there within two minutes. Very friendly and did a great job on a somewhat challenging run getting me down. A little while later I was down in the clinic... Nurses & Doctor were great--very friendly--very quick. After the xrays the doc said she was at least 90% certain it was a torn ACL and probably an MCL too. And a couple of small fractures. Double damn. There goes my ski touring season and probably my summer in New Zealand.

To top it all off I was gonna camp near the pass tonight since my friends aren't coming up tomorrow. Don't know what I'll do now. The lodge has free wireless internet, so I figured I might as well spend some time on TGR...

I'll be around the base area all weekend drinking beers and cheering on the longboard crowd. Be careful out there everyone. I was quite warm in a T shirt all day today-and that led to some sticky situations.

Sucks about the knee, but way to keep up the tradition of getting hurt and immediately posting it up. Here's to a quick recovery.

Wow, dude 2 totally killed that line. I mean that.

Sorry about the knee.

Doooood. Bummer.

Toatly blows. Gimp your ass over to the Beaver (To The Moon, sadly renamed).
    I'll be lurking around this weekend with Juaquin.

Heh, I forgot you have the car. You liking the bookshelf I built?

A fine touch, Schmear.

Built upon your inspiration, I had a full bar, hot tub, and a widescreen installed yesterday, but the rabbit ears leave a bit to be desired.
    I ran out of money before I could subscribe to a sat tv service.

Sorry bro. Heal fast.

Bummer.

Good luck, man.

Taking pictures of the patroller coming to sled you down - nice touch.

Heal up.

Bum deal. I tore mine a few weeks ago. Heal up.

Sorry to hear that, I was there yesterday and that area underneath the chute turned real manky at around noon Heal fast.

Nice pics of the ski patrol coming down to haul you outta there.
    'Least I ain't chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmear
    Wow, dude 2 totally killed that line. I mean that.
    It was a pretty impressive slaughter. He kept tumbling but I didn't want to use up my whole memory card. I really need to learn how to do that layering thing where you see multiple frames on one image. I know there was a thread about that a while back...

Quote Originally Posted by splat
    Gimp your ass over to the Beaver (To The Moon, sadly renamed).
    I didn't even know there was a place with that name around here, though I like the first one better. This is really pretty nice right now--I'm sitting by the "ice rink", replying to emails, selling stuff on ebay, and enjoying the view. I'd much rather be gimping around up here than down in Sacto!

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit
    Taking pictures of the patroller coming to sled you down - nice touch.
    Thanks--I was going to take photos on the ride down too, but the rooster tail from the 'troller's twin-tips was water and slush and would've destroyed my camera.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Rad
    Sorry to hear that, I was there yesterday and that area underneath the chute turned real manky at around noon
    Yeah, and this happened at 2:30. Super mank.

Thanks for the well wishes, all! Kill it the rest of the season!

I just have to add how cool ALL of the Kirkwood staff were. The security guy even offered to take me in to South Lake Tahoe when I hadn't figured out a place to stay. Let me chill in the hotel lobby after it was closed. I ended up sleeping in the car anyway, after a wonderful huge bowl o' nachos from Bub's, but it wasn't that bad.

Oh, and PS, it froze last night, so the first few hours should be awesome today. It's t shirt weather already, though.

You went down swinging on something worth. There are plenty of people out there in the 'Don Joy' club. Myself inclusive. Work hard on recovery.

YOU WILL BE BACK.

That's rough. When I look back at the majority of my injuries over the years deep sticky mank was usually involved.

right at the lights, straight on till night
    damn... blown knees, well, blow.

you're timing, however, does not blow.

whatever you do.. don't go to evan raps' doctor.
    when everything in the world is at its darkest, it takes a big man to kick back and party.

Shit BC...that's a bummer.

BUT look on the bright side...you had a kick ass winter, the season is ending, and by the time next season rolls around, you could be in pretty good shape if you get after it.

I went through this last year....PM or email me at ron AT pmgearusa DOT com if you need recommendations for an ortho and/or PT in the Sacto area, or any other questions you might have...I turned out ok after my surgery, and would recommend my ortho/PT team to anyone in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
    I went through this last year....PM or email me if you need recommendations for an ortho and/or PT in the Sacto area, or any other questions you might have...I turned out ok after my surgery, and would recommend my ortho/PT team to anyone in the area.
    Thanks a ton. Email soon to be sent. I would say you probably recovered OK if you're hitting hospital air the season after.

Quote Originally Posted by meatdrink9
    That's rough. When I look back at the majority of my injuries over the years deep sticky mank was usually involved.
    Chalk me up to the deep sticky mank club...but mine was a mensicus injury...

Anyway, sorry to hear about the injury....as was said above, at least it was the end of the season, and although you might miss out on some summer activities you can be back on snow when the season is geting in full swing next year.

Positive vibes to you for a full recovery.

Tyrone's story (even though it's a different injury) is inspirational to me, too.

KAISER HELP!!!

Anyone have any clude how to get through the Kaiser system?

I called on Friday right after the accident to let them know that I was supposed to see an ortho in 3 or so days. They said it would have to go through my PMD, and he wouldn't be in until Tuesday.

So today I wake up in PAIN with severe swelling (even with the vidodin & ibuprofen). I went to the ER/Urgent Care and spent hours waiting here, hours waiting there, and hours waiting somewhere else. They did the xrays again and didn't think there were any broken bones (the last xrays showed a broken femur, patella, or tibia, depending who you asked ). So they said the next step would be to see my PMD who could then refer me to get an MRI. First appointment with him isn't until Thursday, and they can't schedule the MRI until I get the referral. Then I have to wait until after the MRI results come back to go back into my PMD to get a referral to an orthopaedist. WTF?

In addition, the doc gives me a prescription for two days worth of vicodin. I argued with him that it was the exact same drug & dosage that I've already been taking and that hasn't been working, and he said sorry, that's what Kaiser prescribes for pain.

To top it off, I'm stuck parking in a gravel lot, across a construction site, down a hill, and through a parking garage from the building where I work. Yeah, that's fun with crutches. If I can get a temporary disabled placard I can park in the attached garage. So I brought the DMV form in and asked the MD to sign it and he refused!!! He said maybe my PMD will be willing to sign it on Thursday. WTF????

Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks!

Second star to the right and straight on till morning
    ShitTY! I'm starting to think that NO ONE gets through his life without an season-ending injury. Bum deal, for sure, bc.

Heal up, mang. Positive vibes to you!
    Days on snow 06-07: 3
    Days behind a boat summer 2006: 24

"Coming here and asking whether you need wider skis is like turning up at the Neverland Ranch and asking Michael if he'd like to come to Tampa with the kids" -bad roo.

Sorry to hear that. I will never forget that "pop" sound and feeling. I hope everything goes well, surgery and rehab and back out there better than ever.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Good luck with the recovery! For all intents and purposes this is the time to do it... I hated the "pop" although mine seemed like more of a snap... Don't you just love the phone call after those injuries though.

"Whats your emergency?"

"Well, I don't know if its really an emergency, but...."

Video of me skiing Once earlier that day. http://www.snowpics.net/img/16482

Credit cool tele-dude and his Canon SD500 Elph.

The video is great. Shows the rapid acceleration a vertical drop-in gives. Not too many trip reports include shots of the patrol coming in for the rescue.

Sorry about the knee. Seems like you managed to sit and drink at the base the rest of closing weekend. Hope it all works out. Any news yet?