Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Angry BRING BACK THE EXPLOSIV!!

Granted, I'm a reeaaal late comer to Volkl, I only missed the previous ten years... but the explodr changed me forever...now they're gone. I can't be the only one who wants this back..... maybe most of you guys have already had closure on this.
    Come on Squaretail!! The Mantras aren't holding up!

yeah i'll probably sign up for the bros but i'd still like another shot at the splosive. I need a good 190 splodr to replace my damged one. I'll take that to gear swap.
    If it weren't for serendipity, there'd be no dipity at all

i'm with ya!

btw, just a quick peek around at ski dims and there are a few that have copied the explosivs. sure, the construction is different, but people know that that shape is just about purrrrfect.

ulty, I checked the verb shop were the finn guy said last week there should have been xplosives left. They have none.

What ski that is currently being produced is most like the Explosive? My guess would be the Tanker.
    All work and no play, ... you know...

Quote Originally Posted by KANUTTEN
    What ski that is currently being produced is most like the Explosive? My guess would be the Tanker.
    Yep, even though it's slightly narrower... The other ski I can think of (and actually ski) would be Stöckli Stormrider DP...
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

Quote Originally Posted by hemas
    Yep, even though it's slightly narrower... The other ski I can think of (and actually ski) would be Stöckli Stormrider DP...
    I might be wrong, but both seem WAY heavier than xplosives

dunno about weight, but way more sidecut, even on the tanker.

Quote Originally Posted by ulty_guy
    dunno about weight, but way more sidecut, even on the tanker.
    Defo my DP's are heavier than my Explouders were, but the splosive's were 173's and my DP's are 186's.

As for the sidecut, well the splosives were 120/95/112 and my DP's are 123/91/111... I wouldn't say that's a lot more sidecut...
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

and verb, thanks for checking.

Quote Originally Posted by hemas
    ...As for the sidecut, well the splosives were 120/95/112 and my DP's are 123/91/111... I wouldn't say that's a lot more sidecut...
    Well, I'll have to disagree on that one; the dp has 32 mm difference tip vs mid, sploders are 25. Thats 28% more on the dp's. How much is a lot - dunno, but I would think this is definately noticable when skiing.
    All work and no play, ... you know...

igneous FFL 125-98-109 or FAT 120-98-107 or LG 130-108-117
    Last edited by marshalolson; 03-22-2006 at 07:12 AM.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

I've been asked to clarify the Mantras not holding up and i have to confess that I refer to recent posts regarding de-lams and thin bases. My own Mantras found their way to a well deserving soul who says I changed his life...thus the Mantras.... he damged these big time hucking some rocks in Cham and is in the process of ordering a new pair. I skiied my Mantras only twice....enjoyed them but felt more passionate about the sploders.
    I don't want to knock Volkls effort to try and improve on the sploder. I'm just a whiny bitch and Johnny come lately.
    Blackmail.....I won't diss the Mantra any more if you replace my sploder Squaretail
    Last edited by train07; 03-22-2006 at 07:59 AM.
    If it weren't for serendipity, there'd be no dipity at all

Well, I'll have to disagree on that one; the dp has 32 mm difference tip vs mid, sploders are 25. Thats 28% more on the dp's. How much is a lot - dunno, but I would think this is definately noticable when skiing.
    If it helps, the new DP are 125-94-111...

Put me down on the petition to bring back the slpoders ... I'm also a late comer to ski what is noe my all time fav board.

Sidecut is just part of what makes a ski - I'd have to say that construction is more of a factor.

That said assuming all things equal (i.e. length, effective edge length, etc):

Splosiv's 120-95-112 = 32 meter
    DP old 123-91-111 = 26m
    DP new 125-94-11 = 28m
    Ig 125-98-109 = 35m
    FAT & LG = 43m

Roughly of course ...
    Who cares how the crow flies

the vct is explosiv dims +9 everywhere. i don't think it has the metal tho.

Sort of reminds of guitars. They do like classic and reissue series which are just supposed to be replications of famous old makes of their own. It would be interesting to see ski companies do this. Cna you imagine Head 360 reissues and etc? Hm could be a cool marketing idea to take off.

Quote Originally Posted by YoEddy
    Put me down on the petition to bring back the slpoders ... I'm also a late comer to ski what is noe my all time fav board.

Sidecut is just part of what makes a ski - I'd have to say that construction is more of a factor.

That said assuming all things equal (i.e. length, effective edge length, etc):

Splosiv's 120-95-112 = 32 meter
    DP old 123-91-111 = 26m
    DP new 125-94-11 = 28m
    Ig 125-98-109 = 35m
    FAT & LG = 43m
    Roughly of course ...
    pretty sure the 190 explosiv was 41m @ 190cm.

FWIW: explosiv has more sidecut than a FAT and less sidecut than an FFL
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

I would sign petition.....love them (and they only get better with age). Currently have two pairs of the Explosiv 3 (both are pretty worked...but will get by for a few more years--Basom may say differently).

If shopping Stiff BROs is what I would like to check out.

The fact that I often photograph my skis shows my luv!
    Donjoy to the World!

Quote Originally Posted by Huckwheat
    I would sign petition.....love them (and they only get better with age). Currently have two pairs of the Explosiv 3 (both are pretty worked...but will get by for a few more years--Basom may say differently).

If shopping Stiff BROs is what I would like to check out.
    I'm 100% on the Explosiv bandwagon. Just sold my stiff Bros because I like the Explosiv more.

Comparison: stiff Bro is stiffer in the tip, pretty similar underfoot (just a bit softer), and softer in the tail. The stiff Bro feels like it has a uniform stiffness throughout the ski. The Explosiv feels like it has a softer tip, stiffening considerably under foot and into the tail. The stiff Bros flexes much deeper and at a uniform rate than the Explosiv when hand flexing, but I don't know how much difference this makes when actually skiing -- I couldn't feel the ski flexing under foot (under the binding) with the Bro, but the tails flex noticeably more than on the Explosiv.

Both bash crud very well. The Explosiv gets deflected slightly less than the Bro. The Bro is noticeably lighter (no metal), but the weight of the Explosivs is acceptable to me (featherweight compared to any Volant). The added width of the Bro vs. Explosiv didn't seem to make any difference to me for flotation, turniness, etc.; they feel about the same width when skiing them.

Durability comparison? Don't know -- never whacked my Bros into anything to find out. Bros seem to have a very tough base material. Edge thickness looks to be pretty similar on Bros and Explosivs.

If you need a replacement for the Explosiv, the stiff Bro is a pretty good choice, but it does have a different feel to it.

All of this is IMO, YMMV, etc., etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra
    I'm 100% on the Explosiv bandwagon. Just sold my stiff Bros because I like the Explosiv more.
    Yeah, I went into your FS post more than once.....didnt really NEED them, but WANTED them.

Thanks for the review.....very interesting. Burly is a key criteria for me, and one of the reasons I say I would like to check BROs.
    Donjoy to the World!

I bet you losers cried when they stopped making snow rangers too!

Quit living in the past!
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

What's the going rate for a pair of mint CMH 190cms? I love them as well but they just don't seem to get much use these days.

Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy
    I bet you losers cried when they stopped making snow rangers too!
    Speaking of which, I've got a pair of 200 'Rangers in primo condition, which I could be convinced to part with for $125 plus shipping.

My 190 Explosivs (the cool yellow orange neon top skin kind, and you know those are the best), also in primo condition, are, on the other hand not for sale, except at a ridiculously high price.
    Last edited by irul&ublo; 03-22-2006 at 12:20 PM.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles
    What's the going rate for a pair of mint CMH 190cms? I love them as well but they just don't seem to get much use these days.

drilled once, newer vintage, $300-400 with bindings

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson
    pretty sure the 190 explosiv was 41m @ 190cm.
    According to the spec it's 34.6m for the 190 ... so using that as the base the others would come out to :

DP old 123-91-111 = 27.9m
    DP new 125-94-11 = 30.3m
    Ig 125-98-109 = 38.2m
    FAT & LG = 46.8m

Again, rough numbers assuming all things equal, which they aren't. And, again sidecut is just one characteristic of the ski.

Living in the past? mebee ... but the Splosiv matches my skiing attitude perfectly - basically a real wide super G ski. It's gotta have metal in it.
    Who cares how the crow flies