Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Canyons - 12/26 TR (w/crap pics)

OK,

It is my 5th time in SLC, so I had to try something other than Alta, Bird, Solitude or Snowbasin. I originally planned for Deer Valley, but the 75$ lift tix made me changed my mind for the biggest resort in Utah, the Canyons.

Basically, this place has more flat spots than Nebraska. It plays so much smaller than it's advertised 3000+ feet of vert and 3000+ acres. There are some nice steeps, but kinda like Aspen Highlands, everything ends up (rather quickly) in a 1 mile flat runout to the nearest lift. After going from one end to the other (and skating a lot), I don't think you can get more than 1,200' feet of sustained vertical in one shot at that mountain.

But the real killer was riding with Bob, the mountain ambassador. Bob looks like a nice guy and asks if he can ride the lift with me. After about 15 seconds on the lift and the usual chatter, Bob whips out a palm pilot type gizmo and asks if I would like to participate in a customer survey. When I answer "slim to none" at the final question which was "How likely are you to ski again at the Canyons?", Bob promptly gives me a coupon for a free hot chocolate and heartily recommends restaurant XXX as the best on-mountain eatery. I'm ready for Turner Mountain after that crap...

For some unknown reason, it also seemed that frozen crap line is a lot higher at the Canyons than at Alta/Snowbird, only the very top of 9990 and the Condor lift were skiable off piste. Talking to a local, it apparently rained at 9000' just before Xmas. I really hope they get something out of that storm, they really need it.

On the positive side, there is some very nice tree skiing (esp to the right of the Condor lift) and good backcountry access.

Couple of random pics...

This sums it up pretty well: Snowboarders sitting on their butt because the place is so flat (I could have posted about 15 different pics like this)

One cool feature is some of the natural half pipes, like this one

Lunch

Back at Snowbird tomorrow (I'm done with new experiences on this trip )

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sculhane
    OK,

It is my 5th time in SLC, so I had to try something other than Alta, Bird, Solitude or Snowbasin. I originally planned for Deer Valley, but the 75$ lift tix made me changed my mind for the biggest resort in Utah, the Canyons.

Basically, this place has more flat spots than Nebraska. It plays so much smaller than it's advertised 3000+ feet of vert and 3000+ acres. There are some nice steeps, but kinda like Aspen Highlands, everything ends up (rather quickly) in a 1 mile flat runout to the nearest lift. After going from one end to the other (and skating a lot), I don't think you can get more than 1,200' feet of sustained vertical in one shot at that mountain.
    I'm a season pass holder up there. I guess if you dont know your way around the resort, this would be a perception that would be easy to make. I'm not sure, but you may be right on the vertical aspect(not on the flat aspect though)The runs at the canyons are steep, nice, but the length of the steep stuff is pretty short. The canyons has some VERY nice areas compared to the other resorts in utah (although snowbird and alta take the prize with canyons coming in 3rd) The problem is, you really have to spend a bit of time up there to figure out the resort so you arent wasting time moving over those few flat spots there are to each lift.(which you dont get as a visitor) Next time you come into SLC, give me a buzz and I'll show ya around to the good spots.

But the real killer was riding with Bob, the mountain ambassador. Bob looks like a nice guy and asks if he can ride the lift with me. After about 15 seconds on the lift and the usual chatter, Bob whips out a palm pilot type gizmo and asks if I would like to participate in a customer survey. When I answer "slim to none" at the final question which was "How likely are you to ski again at the Canyons?", Bob promptly gives me a coupon for a free hot chocolate and heartily recommends restaurant XXX as the best on-mountain eatery. I'm ready for Turner Mountain after that crap...
    Yeah, this is their new marketing technique to get peoples perception of the place. The surveys are annoying, but hey, I dont mind the free coffe or hot choco
    For some unknown reason, it also seemed that frozen crap line is a lot higher at the Canyons than at Alta/Snowbird, only the very top of 9990 and the Condor lift were skiable off piste. Talking to a local, it apparently rained at 9000' just before Xmas. I really hope they get something out of that storm, they really need it.
    Dear lord tell me about it. This has been one of the worst ski seasons yet. In all my years here, I cant recalll a time where it has been over 50 degrees for weeks in the valley and raining at the resorts(thus turning to ice). The Canyons is alot lower in elevation than snowbird and alta and so it has been getting alot of this crap. My wife just went to jackson hole today and she says its the same thing over there. I guess the region isnt having much luck this season with exception for a few high altitude resorts and/or specific lifts

On the positive side, there is some very nice tree skiing (esp to the right of the Condor lift) and good backcountry access.
    The backcountry access there is exceptional. Right off the top of ninety nine 90 you get great access to tons of killer BC. You just have to be careful because alot of the slopes around the top there are right at 37-40degrees and avalanche regularly.

This sums it up pretty well: Snowboarders sitting on their butt because the place is so flat (I could have posted about 15 different pics like this)
    Common now *wink* snowboarders do that at EVERY resort in utah. They only really pile up at the tops of hills, bottoms of hills and before the terrain parks. I have to say, the canyons is getting too many of them though (the bad kind) with promotions for honor roll high school students. Brighton has been ruined by snowboarders with their bad etiquete, the canyons is going that route now as well. It seems like you have to go to snowbird if you want to encounter snowboarders that know their shit and have any sort of manners and dont sideslide down the hill and take out all the pow. BTW that pic of the boarders is at the bottom of a black diamond run that ends feet from the lift line. Go there on a weekday (when all the highschool students arent there) and you will 75% skiers, and 25% snowboarders(the kind that ARENT a pain in the ass)

I hated the canyons the first week or so I skied there. In fact I hated it so much I was regretting I forked over the money for a pass there. But, after a week of riding with some people that know the place I began to find it's hidden treasures. Some of my deepest and best days have been there and I really dig the place now. The problem is just figuring out where to ski and what lines yield the best run. Sometimes it seems like 20 feet are all that separate you from a great line and a sweet traverse or a stream gully.

Quote Originally Posted by shmoesmith
    Brighton has been ruined by snowboarders with their bad etiquete, the canyons is going that route now as well. It seems like you have to go to snowbird if you want to encounter snowboarders that know their shit and have any sort of manners and dont sideslide down the hill and take out all the pow.
    You're right Smitty. We've ruined Brighton and we're working on the Bird. You should just stick to your 3" of blower and massive steeps at the Canyons and not bother with Big or Little Cottnowood anymore. Maybe you should think before you speak next time in lumping all snowboarders in to your ignorant comments.

Quote Originally Posted by SLAYER
    You're right Smitty. We've ruined Brighton and we're working on the Bird
    Glad you admit it at least
    . You should just stick to your 3" of blower and massive steeps at the Canyons and not bother with Big or Little Cottnowood anymore. Maybe you should think before you speak next time in lumping all snowboarders in to your ignorant comments.
    Yep, snowboarders have ruined brighton. I snowboard and have done so for 13years, and embarrassed at how they act up there. I have been to brighton at least 12 times over the last 2 years (since thats all I could afford at the time) and with exception of 1 time, I have been run into by an out of control snowboarder each time I was there.. Never an apology, I usually get cussed at for getting in their way (even though I'm just standing there or sitting there waiting for a friend, or waiting my turn at the halfpipe or terrain park).Its usually some highschool aged punk. When a skiier is going to pass me, I hear a 'on your left' or some sort of warning, likewise they never cut me off and rarely do I see skiers out of control. Snowboarders at brighton dont seem to have any courtousy. The canyons wasnt like this a few years ago, but its starting to get that way with their $99 seasonpass for highschool students. I'm not lumping all snowboarders into that group.I stated that the snowboarders at snowbird are a definate exclusion to the 'bad mannered' snowboarder that seems to prevail at brighton and the canyons. I always see boarders side sliding down blacks and double blacks at brighton and the canyons. Not once have I seen that at snowbird. Maybe thats because it doesnt attract the highschool crowd with cheap rates and because it doesnt have massive terrain parks.

What monkey said. Lots of good tour gides there too that hang around 99 and Condor. Just look for people on freerides and you'll probably find yourself a local......also the guys in the surefoot at the base could work out to be good tour gides if you don't act like a tourist.

Exclamation

all snowboarders are high on drugs.
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

What about Condor and 90 express lifts?

I've never been there, but it has always looked more intriguing than what you've described. At least by looking at the trail map.

More gauze pads, please hurry!

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo
    Danny, do you do drugs?
    Live To Ski!

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo
    And every person named schmoesmith sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by midget
    What monkey said. Lots of good tour gides there too that hang around 99 and Condor. Just look for people on freerides and you'll probably find yourself a local......also the guys in the surefoot at the base could work out to be good tour gides if you don't act like a tourist.
    What he said, and what Monkey said. If it was intuitive it'd be over run with lemmings. There is a small tight crew of locals. I used to wish that there was more of a "bro/brah" scene like Alta/Bird, but it's a pretty cool place to ski/ride with a small crew of people getting after it and finding the stashes. Lots of stoke amoung the locals.

Like an east coast or PNW resort, you've got to have a good sense of the mountain (and you aint gonna find it on the trail map) in order to find the goods.
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

I've had both experiences at the Canyons. The first time, back in 2002, it wasn't all that, but it was 50F and sunny so i couldn't complain too much.

Last year hit it on a storm day and it was off the sickter scale. Woke up to at least 17" of frest blower at bottom and did untouched laps all day, and was still finding decent stashes for the next 2 days.

The Canyons Gets a big thumbs up from me for a storm day and an alright for other conditions. All in all if I have to ski PC, The Canyons or Deer Valley, i will choose The Canyons as they are a hell of a lot better than the others.

My main complaint about canyons would be the base area, it is not a logical layout at all, and makes for a really shitty time when you have mixed abilities groups trying to meet up. Could be next to awful if you had little groms to deal with.

Otherwise it's Alta/Bird for me.

Second star to the right and straight on till morning
    Very interesting topic. The place always looked worth a try, but I've never heard all that much about it on here.

Sorry you had such a shitty time, schulhane...

I miss natural halfpipes... Was looking forward to Dick's Ditch at JH this year.
    Days on snow 06-07: 3
    Days behind a boat summer 2006: 24

"Coming here and asking whether you need wider skis is like turning up at the Neverland Ranch and asking Michael if he'd like to come to Tampa with the kids" -bad roo.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Gosey
    Very interesting topic. The place always looked worth a try, but I've never heard all that much about it on here.
    There's enough utah spew coming from the alta crew so I think most of us lay low on it. Plus, the lcc crew gets jealous when you report skiing chest deep while they are waiting in line for 5 hours at the mouth of the canyon to get to their resorts.

Thumbs up

Great TR none the less!
    Points on their own sitting way up high

I thought the whole bitching about snowboarders was played out? Is in back in vogue now?
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

Quote Originally Posted by Below Zero
    I thought the whole bitching about snowboarders was played out? Is in back in vogue now?
    It was never played out.
    More gauze pads, please hurry!

The best run @ the Canyon's is Doc's Run, because it dumps you back out at the base so you can leave the shitty place behind...

Quote Originally Posted by grizzle6 View Post
    I'm going to start by punching myself in the nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by AfroMullet
    Danny, do you do drugs?
    Every chance I get!!
    The older I get, the better I was.

It's already been said well but there are plenty of goods to be had @ The Canyons. The lower elevation makes it more challenging to find good snow at times but 9900 did not suck today. No lift lines, decent amount of pow and easy pickings out the gates after 11 a.m. It's all about picking your part of the mountain, elevation and doing fast laps. If you were on any of the South or lower elevation aspects today it was dust on crust. Do the same on a cold storm cycle and you will have freshies all day (if you know where to go).

I skied The Canyons today. The snow on Peak 5, 9990 and off of Super Condor was exceptional. The trick is to get away from the main lifts and Tombstone. There was plenty of shin high and we were able to make new tracks in the trees all day long. There is plenty of steeps and chutes for the taking. You just need to know where you're going. Sculhane, sorry for the bad experience. You were obviously following the crowds. Once you know where to go, The Canyons is rippin.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I was not following the crowds, I never do. I spent all my day on 9990, Peak 5 and Condor when it finally opened. I just thought the layout of the mountain kinda sucked because all you can get is maybe 1000' vertical in one shot before you end up on some flat 1 mile traverse. I find it totally fascinating that you have to take the awful ride to the bottom of Tombstone to go from one side of the mountain to the other. Why is there not a lift from the top of the Gondola to the top of Tombstone I can't understand.

That being said, it is probably a good place to be in a real storm because of all the nice tree skiing, by far the best in Utah if it had good snow. And I'm glad I tried it, now I know

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Below Zero
    It was, but then came the inflammatory picture of boarders sitting on their asses (albeit on a slope with almost no pitch), and a bunch of nets uphill to catch those out of control boarders, who are mostly high on meth. See in the picture, the baorder with the red ptex bottom - yeah, he is reaching for his meth-pipe.

"Steve McQueen's got nothing on me" - Clutch

Thumbs down

You can't even pull Daffies on snowboards.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicTwinStix
    The best run @ the Canyon's is Doc's Run, because it dumps you back out at the base so you can leave the shitty place behind...

Wow, that's a tough dis from someone in South Carolina.