Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stormchaser Report - Killington 10/26/05

There is more snow than I expected.

Knee deep at the base lodge at 6:30 this morning when I arrived, and it was still snowing.

Thigh deep at Canyon Quad. I'm the first one out and bootpacking is my chore. Trenching through the snow became a very slow and tiresome process. There were places on East Fall where it was up to my waist. It took me two hours to get to the top of East Fall from my car, and about 10 minutes to get back down to the Canyon Quad.

My second hike was up Royal Flush. I realized half way up that I should have stayed in my other bootpack. Some of the water bars were nipples deep. It was actually kind of scary when your feet sank in so far...had me wondering if I'd make it out. Didn't go all the way to the top of Royal Flush, but stopped at GN and started my run from there. This is where is saw multiple groomers, snow mobiles, and ski guns being setup. The run down RF was unreal. Face shots on all the water bars.

By the time I got to the bottom my legs were shot, and I needed to sit and rest. To my luck, after sitting for about 15 min, a kid on a snowmobile comes riding by and stops. He offers me a ride to the peak - saweet. Make the hike up the stairs and to the top of Catwalk. First one baby! The snow from the weekend provided enough base for this 3' on top so that Catwalk was midwinter condition - didn't bottom out once. Continued down Downdraft, which absolutely killed my legs.

When I got to the Canyon Quad, I figured I had burnt myself out and headed out the runout. When I got to the base, the Snodon Triple was running. I went over to ask the attendant if I could hop on. He said no, but maybe tomorrow, which I thought was cool. Then a snowmobile rolls up, and the liftie says, "this guy will take you up"... Guess I got one more in me.

Last run was Double Dipper to the runout and back to the car. Completely spent and more than satisfied. I'm loading pics up now.

I got er done!

Oh, and I gots to give props to Dex for helping me bootpack the top part of Royal Flush. Sorry I had to bail on you Dex, but there is no way I was passing up that snowmobile ride. No friends on a powder day.

The ride...

The lot...

Dawn breaks...

The weapons...

The runout...

The...tree?

The destination...

The bootpack...

The future...

The past...

The point...

The end...

The mountain...

The fartbag...

The ecstacy...

The wheels...

The road home...

The last bit of color left in Vermont...
    Last edited by K-Stormchaser; 10-26-2005 at 03:08 PM.
    Ski like no one is watching!

Nice!

VERY nice, K ~ was just checking out their galleries & wishing that could've hit 3 days ago while we were up there!
    We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? ~ Lee Iacocca

I love this perspective. Nice pic.

Faaack. I need some of this. Now.

Sick day tommorrow, plane ticket SD/Burlington (AA--$295USD), rental car, lodging...fuck-it, I will wait for it.

peace,
    D.
    "There's a truth that sanity denies...." --Sprung Monkey

Wow, that is unimaginable right now for us losers down here in PA. That must be a dream dump for preseason. Hey, I would have been right there with ya hiking up those hills!
    My cousin: I WANT TO BE A PIN HEAD!!!!!!
    Me: umm, ok, i want to not have to think, be more of an airhead

Thanks to this dood...I have developed a raging case of ADHD!!!!

FKNA...Considering that this is the East Coast, and today is October 26th there is only one thing to say:

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

So, what did you do with Dexter?

niceness

There is less than a month.

nice work. that sucks those asc assholes don't have a lift turning. what happened to the days of ferrying skiers to the canyon quad in trucks to ski a patch of ice off the glades tripple the 1st week of october??
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Holy fuck that is awesome. I wish I didn't have responsibilities this morning and could have made it up. Good work man
    Just ski down there and jump of a somethin' fer cryin' out loud!

-Pain McShlonkey

Quote Originally Posted by iceman
    So, what did you do with Dexter?

Dex who?

sorry I missed my alarm, that looks redonculous.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss
    sorry I missed my alarm, that looks redonculous.
    You snooze, you lose... And you lost out bigtime! Next snowstorm Saturday! Could this be the year Eastern snowfall beats all? A stormchaser can dream can't he...

Quote Originally Posted by K-Stormchaser
    You snooze, you lose... And you lost out bigtime! Next snowstorm Saturday! Could this be the year Eastern snowfall beats all? A stormchaser can dream can't he...

I'm skipping out tomorrow AM to get some at wildcat with shmerham, and I should be up in the area this weekend if the snow sticks.

and yes, I lost.

Nice! That looks like a lot of snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice! I really really really like the first picture. Good abstract art that any skier can identify with. Good tr too.

Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow.

Killington like no one ever really imagined it--or maybe imagined it, but never had it like that. Everything completely untracked, with up to 30" in places and drifts to four feet, and hardly anyone skiing it.
    Downside, you had to hike through that heavy, heavy, deep snow. Kinda tricky, and really exhausting.
    I just got home, more later, we'll see if I got any pics (batteries died, tried cellphone camera for the first time today--Mrs. Rutecki got it new last night).
    So tired, 45 minutes sleep in a lot on the access road is, how do you say, fucked.

Oh yeah, wondering if VT/NY/NH mags saw me being a moron on NBC 31. Hope not.
    [quote][//quote]

october snow rules

that's a great sight to see. ahhh, winter looks so good right now

Thumbs up

aww, hells yeah brotha K-chaser! nice to see other maggotitos got sum today as well. right on!
    still keepin' it real for the ladies!

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Nice! Good work up there!
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

That was.........

THE SHIT!!

Thumbs up

Only 5 more days left in PA.... Can't wait.... Hopefully this is a harbinger of things to come... May have to burn some more skis... Thank you laseranimal for sacrificing the G4's, Ullr is pleased.
    "There is a hell of a huge difference between skiing as a sport- or even as a lifestyle- and skiing as an industry"
    Hunter S. Thompson, 1970 (RIP)

your welcome
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

noice tr mang!

hiking the bush tomorrow at dawn patrol...this could be one of the reasons for so much snow

To the Thingmajigger!