Modified G-Rides

I've modified my G-Rides with Raichle Race Flex tongues... They feel noticably stiffer... it's not a perfect fit but I got them on there with only 10 minutes of work with my knife to eliminate interference to the second buckle. I'm considering some fine tuning at the attatchment points and taking off the RRs on the front of the tongue.

I think I want to add a powerstrap.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Been planning on making the same mods to my MegaRides that i just got (T-P, 230€s..).

Only prob is that i cant seem to find the tongues.. Have tried to by the boot´s or tongues second hand, resalers around here doesnt have the boots or spares and havent found nuthing in the european internet shops.

Anybody have a idea where from you could get some tongues?

Also, planning that i might replace the flimsy strap with a nordicas booster strap, the only one that i managed find..

And, if i add some heatable footbeds, the customisations will have cost as much as the boots did...autch.

Summit, have any pics of your bastard shoes? Did you have what kind of problems with the second buckle?Have been considering to turn and/or replace it with a shorter buckle, some people have had problems with it breaking due to contact with rocks and stuff..

Ps. What was the consesus on G-Rides/Megarides working with Look/Rossis?
    Did the rocker affect the toe release, or was the problem overcome by the moving afd and pivot heel?
    We dont have a din tester in this bloody country (!?) so cant test it my self, i would appreciate if somebody have some concrete info about this.

Summit, didnt you do some testing last winter? Did you test the mentioned combo?

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

I got my tongues at a swap. Bought some Raichle race boots for $5. The tongues are for a 27.5-28 boot. Mine are 26.5. Seems to work out just fine (bigger size may actually benefit and the tongue comes up high).

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet
    Summit, have any pics of your bastard shoes? Did you have what kind of problems with the second buckle?Have been considering to turn and/or replace it with a shorter buckle, some people have had problems with it breaking due to contact with rocks and stuff..
    I'll try to get some pics up. They actually look pretty good.
    The trick to getting the tongue on is to get one side in then bend the other with pliers to get the wire in. The second buckle was hitting the plastic so I had to trim maybe a 5mm triangle out. I am wontering about further trimming on the top and at the attatchment point.

Ps. What was the consesus on G-Rides/Megarides working with Look/Rossis?
    Did the rocker affect the toe release, or was the problem overcome by the moving afd and pivot heel?
    We dont have a din tester in this bloody country (!?) so cant test it my self, i would appreciate if somebody have some concrete info about this.

Summit, didnt you do some testing last winter? Did you test the mentioned combo?
    Yes. Search and ye shall find.
    They work great with look/rossi pivot bindings. They release reliably and smoothly. They do not prerelease (Look Pivot rocks).
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Hey meathelmet, you're from Yurp aren't you? Just happened to come accross this thread (have G-rides myself) and have seen quite afew Raichle-boots going quite cheaply at ebay.de.
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

I've put Booster straps and a pair of Krypton tongues on my G-Rides. It makes the boot significantly stiffer (almost anything would be stiffer than using the stock tongues though...).
    This combination is really nice and I don't feel like it impairs my hiking ability too much.

powderpig - how did you get krypton tongues? do they fit on there pretty well? any pics?

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510
    powderpig - how did you get krypton tongues? do they fit on there pretty well? any pics?
    Larry in Boulder had the tongues. Larry rocks
    Yeah they fit pretty well. I think it's a big difference compared to the stock setup. Love it.

Pictures:

looks great! do you think the booster strap actually makes them stiffer? i've debated this, it seems like it definitely closes the boot around your calf better, but it also seems like the elastic allows an already soft boot to flex forward more. i wonder if a huge world cup size non-elastic power strap would actually make them stiffer.

What's the contact info for Larry? $ for the tongues?
    Elvis has left the building

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510
    looks great! do you think the booster strap actually makes them stiffer? i've debated this, it seems like it definitely closes the boot around your calf better, but it also seems like the elastic allows an already soft boot to flex forward more. i wonder if a huge world cup size non-elastic power strap would actually make them stiffer.
    You're right, my comment wasn't very clear - the tongues provide the stiffness and the Booster straps make the boots feel more responsive, as they fit tighter. At least that's how I experience it.

contact PJ at Race Stock Sports (google them).
    he will cut and rivet some plastic into the upper cuff giving them increased lateral stiffness. This coupled with a new tongue and booster, will give you a boot you can ski anywhere. ill take a pic tonite, but will probably need help posting it.

ive been skiing my GSM's this way for 2+years now. The booster definatly helps, maybe not with stiffness but the increased shin contact matters.

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f
    What's the contact info for Larry? $ for the tongues?
    Larry's Boot Fitting
    2709 Spruce
    Boulder, CO 80302
    (303) 402-6733

I don't remember how much he charged. Although I remember it as being pretty cheap.

Anyone know if Raichle SB tongues off of their snowboarding hardboots will work? Looks like it from the pictures... just trying to keep my ski-swap options open, since I'm not sure what I'll come across.