Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which is the definitive thread on SA/who's the expert here?

I've searched, so you can't call me a jong (well, you can, if you like), and only come up with old threads about who will be in SA and when. Besides the current oonce oonce thread -- where's the thread with the most info on SA - and who knows SA best around here?

The main question: If you were going to ski SA - for the first time- which resort would you recommend, and why?

Please take into account ease of travel, time to travel on land, conditions, night life, etc.

Boy this sounds like an essay question - gold stars will be given out.

How many of your girlfriends are you traveling with?

THis thread probably has the best info:
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/showt...lenas+portillo

The answer to your question is: it depends what you want. SA offers both loud and quiet nightlife, gnar/super-gnar and mellow terrain, expensive posh and dirtbag cheap accomodations. Probably the biggest question is are you comfortable with a freestyle trip or do you want a set plan/schedule?

On the boards I'd say talk to Squirrel/Spats/others, Cletus/Rev/Arty, Splat, and DudeLe for LL, Bariloche area, Tierra del Fuego, and Chillan reports respectively. Lots of different folks have spent time at Portillo as well, but I can't think of an "expert" off the top of my head. If you want to know more about the Santiago resorts (specifically Valle Nevado) feel free to PM me.

Yoga,

Is it you and your gals going? If so I would consider the Bariloche area. Great actual town, beautiful scenary, easy flight from BA, and a fairly big, but not all off-piste-super-gnar, ski area. Amazing food/nightlife in town and not nearly as isolated as LL. LL is sorta kinda like AltaBird without SLC just down canyon. Isolated, mostly expert off-piste terrain, and a much smaller number of still fun places to eat/drink.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by comish
    Yoga,

Is it you and your gals going? If so I would consider the Bariloche area. Great actual town, beautiful scenary, easy flight from BA, and a fairly big, but not all off-piste-super-gnar, ski area. Amazing food/nightlife in town and not nearly as isolated as LL. LL is sorta kinda like AltaBird without SLC just down canyon. Isolated, mostly expert off-piste terrain, and a much smaller number of still fun places to eat/drink.
    That's spot on. If you decide on Bariloche, the one big question is where you should stay: on the hill or in town. My sister and I stayed on the hill last year at the Pire Hue. It was really nice, but the service was so so. Also it was a bit too snobby for my taste.

When I go again, I'm staying in town. There are lots of great places to stay, tons of great restaurants, and good bars/clubs. Plus, it's really beautiful there. It sits right on a lake that may even put Tahoe to shame beauty wise. Plus the architecture of the town itself is really nice.

The terrain at Catedral is not as challenging as Lenas, but then not much is. Lenas is pretty burly. Still, I had a lot of fun there. There's everything from groomers to really nice off piste skiing. The groomers are really crowded though since Argentinians almost never go off trail. If a storm rolls in, there will be huge pow fields in plain sight that will barely get touched.

Also you have other options. Caviahue lies to the north and La Hoya lies to the south. They're far enough where you'd basically have to plan a side trip (w/ stay overnight).

Also, I highly recommend dealing with Mark at www.southamericaski.com. He booked our trip last year and took amazing care of us. Whenever a problem came up, he was on it. He's definitely not the type to say "Here's your ticket, bye!" Remember, you're flying to the other side of the world. It's good to have someone on your side who's full of advice and connected with people that can help in case stuff comes up.

And if you eat meat, don't miss this place:
    www.elbolichedealberto.com
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50
    Remember, you're flying to the other side of the world. [/url]

I call bullshit, SA is this side of the world in my book. I may be hemispherically challenged though.

Otherwise, nice post.

Yoga, official Lenas summit thread now posted in summit section.

Besides Lenas and Bariloche- you may also want to look into either Termas de Chillan, Portillo, or Valle Nevado on the Chile side. Termas is pretty remote but in the 'hot springs' district. Dudele loves this place. Portillo will be the all-inclusive cruise ship type of destination- where everything is included. it's also a bit smaller than the rest- but has a unique vibe, as do all these places.

really depends on who you are traveling with and what you want out of the trip- cultural experience, gnar terrain, fine restaurants, disco, ease of access, etc... You really can't go wrong with any option. But if you are going with the gals, I'm inclined to say Bariloche would offer the most options/selection- it would be the 'aspen or whistler' choice of the region with Lenas similar as stated above "the alta-snowbird without SLC", portillo would be like the beaver creek, termas more like the jackson/mammoth, and valle nevado like a crested butte.
    Last edited by Squirrel99; 06-26-2005 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman
    I call bullshit, SA is this side of the world in my book.
    Ice, you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman
    I call bullshit, SA is this side of the world in my book. I may be hemispherically challenged though.

Otherwise, nice post.
    No! No! The cold war is dead! And forget about the "War on Terrah." It's about as valid as the war on drugs.

The new war is North vs. South. Argentina's president thinks their beef is better than Texas'; so Bush is gonna send our military down there and settle this once and for all.

Those people from the South... Their toilets flush in the opposite direction, they all speak Spanish even thought Spain is in Urup, and their leaders are always talking about the plight of the poor. Damn communiss if you ask me.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

What level skiing do you want to do? I think you would be disspapointed at Bariloche. I spent time there ski racing as well as free skiing, marginal terrain. I know they are going to start running a heli operation out of there for this year (a star b3), but the terrain is mediocre.
    Las Lenas and Portillo have the best terrain with LL really winning hands down. Off piste access via marte will get you to 5000+ Vertical foot drops to the valley floor with a 10-15 minute skate back to the poma.
    If you are heading all the way down there, and you only want to ski one area and not move around, I would stay at las lenas. 2nd choice is Portillo.
    As for getting around, Las lenas is a little more difficult to get to from BA, but you can catch buses direct (about 16hours) or fly to mendoza, san rafael or malargue. It all depends when you get in because the international airport is about 1hour from the domestic airport. You need to transfer and most flights from n america get in too late to catch the domestic flight. This means an overnight in BA.
    Good luck and maybe see you down there.

great info guys, thanks. Knew I could count on you --

Also keep in mind the map:

LL is about 14 hours from BA, 5 from Mendoza. Bariloche is a short flight or a loooong bus from BA or Santiago (plus maybe flights from Mendoza?). VN (and 2 adjoining resorts) is 2 hours from Santiago, Portillo is 3. Chillan is a 5 hour bus ride south of Santiago.

From LAX you can get flights connecting through to Bariloche ($950) and Mendoza ($845). Cerro Cathedral (Bariloche) doesn't have gnar, but I doubt it'd be boring.

There are many flights daily from Buenos Aires to Bariloche or Mendoza - almost every hour. There is also service from Santiago, though only once or twice a day. The looonnnng bus from Santiago to Bariloche is an understatement. It's 20hrs and that doesn't include layover.
    Last edited by cj001f; 06-26-2005 at 07:58 PM.
    Elvis has left the building

Anyone catch the Cerro Castor story in SBC Skier this year?

Its pounding in portillo right now again. Expecting another meter tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by splat
    Anyone catch the Cerro Castor story in SBC Skier this year?
    No, what did it say. Something like "Avoid going to this resort when there are large groups of Americans around who use the phrase "FKNA". We tell you this only for the safety of your liver."
    "Don't drive angry."

Best quote from the movie "Groundhog Day"

Something like that, leaving us secure in the thought we'll have most of Tierra del Fuego, where a nice hotel room costs $6 a night and food plucked fresh out of the ocean or beef off a local ranch costs a tenth what it does in Lenas, to ourselves again this year.

Something like that, leaving us secure in the thought we'll have most of Tierra del Fuego, where a nice hotel room costs $6 a night and food plucked fresh out of the ocean or beef off a local ranch costs a tenth what it does in Lenas, to ourselves again this year.
    And the tall tales are as thick as the sheep!

They don't graze sheep there. They raise beef in TDF.
    But irul can show you around Winnemucca.

Can we get a TR?

Tell me more!
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Exclamation You picked a great year!

http://www.casatours.com/report.asp
    Quote:
    We are COVERED! In my eight years of South American winters, I have never seen so much coverage at this time of year. It is currently dumping up all over Chile and is forecasted to keep going all season long.

Quote Originally Posted by powpig
    Tell me more!
    Come on down and we'll grab a bite to eat and I'll tell you all about it, Andy.

Or you can wait for the September issue of Couloir for the story and photos.