Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Voelkl relocates ski production to China

Voelkl announced plans to shift ski production to China step by step, driven by needs to cut costs and following the trend already put in place for the snowboard and partial ski manufacturing.
    Since negotiations with unions for a moratorium on wages and for additional (unpaid?) overtime failed, Voelkl management will start laying off 9% of their workforce, with more cuts following shortly.
    Annually more than 60000 pairs of skis are already manufactured in China by K2, the US parent holding.

Hey you mind citing that source? Id like to read more.
    The Ski Journal theskijournal.com
    frequency TSJ frqncy.com

click here...

Not in English though, sorry...

Initially that can't be good for production quality.... Dang... And I've got a pair of mantras on special order. I wonder what that means.

[space reserved for product QC and outsourcing bitching]

It was bound to happen.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by extreeski
    Initially that can't be good for production quality.... Dang... And I've got a pair of mantras on special order. I wonder what that means.

Hummm I dunno about that, K2's new China facility is state of the art, they spent a lot of $$$$ inorder to make it that way, and to ensure quality. K2's gear improved when they moved ski production to China. It all depends on what materials they will use to build the ski.
    The Ski Journal theskijournal.com
    frequency TSJ frqncy.com

Quote Originally Posted by mtbakerskier
    It all depends on what materials they will use to build the ski.
    It all depends on who they pay to make it, and how much they pay for QC. The number of limited production Volkls will probably decrease, and their line will shrink. $.02 And yes, initially product quality will probably decrease, as it does almost every time you move fab.
    Elvis has left the building

I saw this on the news ticker on N-24, a German news channel, but I didn't have a link to post. The global economy marches on...

Oh crap. Does that mean 05/06 Volkls will be made in Deutschland or PRC?

I'm thinking Germany as it takes a while to move fab ops like that. Hopefully my guess is right.
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Voelkl announced plans to shift ski production to China step by step, driven by needs to cut costs and following the trend already put in place for the snowboard and partial ski manufacturing.
    Since negotiations with unions for a moratorium on wages and for additional (unpaid?) overtime failed, Voelkl management will start laying off 9% of their workforce, with more cuts following shortly.
    Annually more than 60000 pairs of skis are already manufactured in China by K2, the US parent holding.
    The QC has already taken a hit apparently, as Volkl's name isn't even being spelled right anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by shmerham
    The QC has already taken a hit apparently, as Volkl's name isn't even being spelled right anymore.
    Völkl == Voelkl, FYI.

edg
    Do you realize that you've just posted an admission of ignorance so breathtaking that it disqualifies you from commenting on any political or economic threads from here on out?

Quote Originally Posted by edg
    Völkl == Voelkl, FYI.

edg
    Come on, work with me here. I've got jokes to make.

Quote Originally Posted by shmerham
    Come on, work with me here. I've got jokes to make.
    Don't quit your day job, shmerham

edg
    Do you realize that you've just posted an admission of ignorance so breathtaking that it disqualifies you from commenting on any political or economic threads from here on out?

On the bright side, at least the prices will go down! NOT

are there any decent manufacturing jobs left in the Western world?

bummer for all those laid off - so sorry

Quote Originally Posted by 13
    Oh crap. Does that mean 05/06 Volkls will be made in Deutschland or PRC?

I'm thinking Germany as it takes a while to move fab ops like that. Hopefully my guess is right.
    Not sure!

Voelkl's production equipment has always been pretty advanced. The way a relocation usually works is increasing volumes to an excessive stock level and already training Chinese by the home team, then discharging the regular workforce and just keep a couple of key guys on an interim payroll you need to tear down, ship and rebuild the manufacturing equipment over there. Second step is additional training of local workforce, fire up production and then get rid of the residual old bunch of people. All that usually is done within a six month period of time if moving to an already existing facility. Sounds harsh but that's the way it works.

So some of the 05/06 collection will likely come out of the current production site with an ongoing shift during the season. Don't forget they prolly can use some of K2's already existing Chinese plant and production capacity.

....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Here's to hoping the skis stay the same

great news! about time the price I pay for skis falls into line with the cheap clothes, computers, and other essential items I've been paying a lot less for. fuck $1000 skis.

That really sucks. Looks like I'll be going elsewhere when my current Volkls wear out in a couple of years. Stockli (or Capital Skis) here I come...
    Martha's just polishing the brass on the Titanic....

This time they've take the whole Budhism thing way to far.

Quote Originally Posted by Duker
    This time they've take the whole Budhism thing way to far.
    Thank you, I was waiting for that.

I would think next year's skis would still be made in Germany, they are probably making them right now. If what dude said above is true about exceeding normal stock levels, a contruction/graphic change along with the move to china might produce some good closeout deals next spring. Who knows?
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

Lightbulb

So the Gotama mystery scribble = "MADE IN TAIWAN."

Who knew? Case closed.
    Nevermore, however weary, should one faint by the way who gains the blessings of one mountain day; whatever his fate, long life, short life, stormy or calm, he is rich forever. -- John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by extreeski
    I have been assured that the higher end skis (anyhting over $500 retail) will be produced in Germany for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow
    I have been assured that the higher end skis (anyhting over $500 retail) will be produced in Germany for quite some time.
    You must think the value of your home will still double over the next five years.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow
    What part of Volkl's line is sub $500 retail?
    Elvis has left the building

I can't believe it.I thought those Germans were so proud of their craft.Global economy at work I guess.I was bummed when K2 Moved there,but I still buy their skis sometimes.
    Calmer than you dude