Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!

Mammoth Mini - Sunday Photos

As promised here are some photos from Sunday:
    Tyrone Shoelaces skiing Dragon's Back:

Squirrel99 skiing Dragon's Back:

Shane-o cranking it through the mank:

Arty50 spraying it up high over Dragon's Back:

Tyrone Shoelaces dropping into Dragon's Tail:

A big thank you to Splat and Tyrone for running the shuttle!

Quote Originally Posted by Vets
    PM Gear's new ad picture? Strong work Ty, you're doctor would be proud!
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp
    PM Gear's new ad picture? Strong work Ty, you're doctor would be proud!
    After seeing Tyrone ski over the weekend I'm not convinced he actually ever hurt his knee. Just a little prank on his internet friends.

Thanks for taking pics Vets. And for the Mammy tour guiding too! This weekend freaking ruled.

edit: Thanks AD...good finally meeting you and the rest of the PNW crew that made it down.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Good to see Tyrone tearing it up again!
    "Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward."
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
    Thanks AD...good finally meeting you and the rest of the PNW crew that made it down.
    It was great to meet you and everyone else! I went to the Utah and Mammoth minis this year and I might be the only person that was at both. That's a lot of maggots met this season!

Shin-to-Win put the hammer down to get us back to Reno in time for our flight. We saw snorkeldeep checking in for his flight, so hopefully he made it. But come on, we couldn't miss out on the meal at the Lee Vining Mobil!

Quote Originally Posted by The AD
    It was great to meet you and everyone else! I went to the Utah and Mammoth minis this year and I might be the only person that was at both. That's a lot of maggots met this season!

Shin-to-Win put the hammer down to get us back to Reno in time for our flight. We saw snorkeldeep checking in for his flight, so hopefully he made it. But come on, we couldn't miss out on the meal at the Lee Vining Mobil!
    cool...yeah I didn't realize what time it was until we left the Mo Mart (mmm..lobster taquitos) and was worried you guys would miss your flights.

I ended up taking a detour after the Mo Mart and cruised a few miles up Tioga Pass to the road closure to check out the chutes...My god there's so much snow there...you guys need to come back...in July....to hit them
    One Gear, Two Planks

I was pretty bummed they cranked up the gondola about the time I broke myself and my ski and missed the Dragon's Tail run with you guys.

But Shin to Win did a pretty good job making time to Reno. We passed each other a few times along the way.

Yep, the pimpin' Caddy rolled proper back to Reno juiced up on three dollar gas and getting chased by some dude in a cherokee yelling FUCKIN A MAN!!!

Great shots Vets. I want to see the one where Ty drops the three footer on Waterfall and stomps the landing . Did you catch that one on film AD?
    "Don't tease me about my hobbies, I don't tease you about being an asshole"

Quote Originally Posted by Shin-to-Win
    Great shots Vets. I want to see the one where Ty drops the three footer on Waterfall and stomps the landing . Did you catch that one on film AD?
    Man stop exaggerating....it was a two footer...maaaybe three with the distance
    One Gear, Two Planks

I should have some keepers, but since I shot slides it might be a while before I can get the film developed then scanned.

I wonder if we'll get to see hot sauce's footage?

All these Mammoth threads and pics make me sad that I missed out. I loved getting the call from Squirrel on Saturday to ask me about a poster signing appearance...Next year for sure!

And Tyrone, I agree with AD...don't pull that "my poor knee" shit on us. You are coming to SA and that is all. Seriously, nice work on the rehab. Your patience definately paid off. How does the knee feel now that you are back skiing (and killing it I might add)?

I can't wait to see more pictures! Well done guys!
    "You look like you just got schnitzled..."

Quote Originally Posted by girlski0912
    How does the knee feel now that you are back skiing
    thanks. It feels "ok" I guess. When I'm turning left, with my new knee as the downhill ski, there's a million little things going through my head that seem wrong, or just "off" a little. I'm definitely weaker turning that direction and I think I'm relying on my uphill ski too much....I dunno, I'm kinda hard on myself like that though. But seriously, as the days wore on though, I really noticed that my right leg was weaker as I couldn't hold high-speed carves like I wanted to or mach lines at the speeds I wanted too. And I'm super scared to get knocked in the backseat....I hate having to hold back too when looking at lines, but it's getting there. On Friday, before Mammoth, myself, skier666, telenater, slim, and Geoff Small hit a BC line that I've been eyeing for a long time so that felt really good....but I still have a ton of work to do before S.A....but I'll be there
    One Gear, Two Planks

Hey TY,
    glad you're back in the saddle.Wish I could say the same!
    Calmer than you dude

Ty's back on it, don't let him tell you otherwise. TR to follow later, but Ty and I had a male bonding experience on Friday trying to hike up a knee deep ridgeline...

Quote Originally Posted by skier666
    Ty's back on it, don't let him tell you otherwise. TR to follow later, but Ty and I had a male bonding experience on Friday trying to hike up a knee deep ridgeline...

True that...that hike scared the shit out of me in a couple spots. It was a scary feeling having all of my weight on friend's ski poles as they pulled me up and over some rocky exposed cruxes that I couldn't get my knee up and over. Thanks to Slim and Geoff Small for that help.
    One Gear, Two Planks

Great weekend. Some good turns were had (and a few not so good turns..mainly the tequila ).

Always a good time linking up with the California Kids & other wayward travelers. And psyched to see Ty back on the hill raging again!

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp
    Strong work Ty, you're doctor would be proud!
    You should have heard him this weekend. Almost everywhere we went, it was, "I can't do that line. You know, my knee." With the way he skied, I don't know how much longer he's going to get away with that excuse though.

I'm glad others are now witnesses to his sandbagging.

Those are some great shots Vets. Thanks for posting them. More importantly, thanks to you, shane-o, and Haus for your great guiding.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel99
    Great weekend. Some good turns were had (and a few not so good turns..mainly the tequila ).
    ... good thang you didn't stay in Utah then. Would've got ta tour and ski sweet pow pow and then I'da mixed ya the bestest, meanest ass 'rita ya ever had
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
    thanks. It feels "ok" I guess. When I'm turning left, with my new knee as the downhill ski, there's a million little things going through my head that seem wrong, or just "off" a little. I'm definitely weaker turning that direction and I think I'm relying on my uphill ski too much.
    i found this lasted from month 6 into month 8. in month 11 now and its still not symetrical. feels way better now, but i skied pretty much the whole season never going past 80% due to the increased fatiuge in my right leg.

just feels so good to be able to back out there though, eh?

Damn, looks like some fun was had. I'm going to promise myself to be there next season. And...Tahoe mini?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkside
    And...Tahoe mini?
    hell yeah.

OK, so every gaper at Mammoth this season--myself included--had to have their photo taken at the summit sitting on the wood Mammoth Mountain sign. I was convinced they intentionally made this sign short so the snowpack always looked impressive. I was wrong. I googled "mammoth sign" and check out these shots:

Maybe a more typical snow year?

In the summer with no snow:

So, no, they didn't cheat with the sign post. This season the sign is literally buried so that only the part that says "Mammoth Mountain" is visible.

EDIT: yeah, here's the photo yogachik posted a couple weeks ago:
    Last edited by The AD; 05-02-2005 at 04:45 PM.

and this is from last week (for those who were at the mini, this is lill's youngest)